Multiplayer. My personal plea to wolfire.

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
polyoptics

Multiplayer. My personal plea to wolfire.

Post by polyoptics » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:41 am

Muliplayer, I see there are many threads on this, and I see it may not be added to overgrowth. That is the choice of the devs, and I respect their decision. Here is my plea:

Whats fun about gaming for me is fighting against a thinking opponent, someone who I can trick or be tricked by. Confidence, personal style, attitude -- these thing are represented clearly in multiplayer games. Its fascinating, exhilarating, and so much fun.

Each multiplayer game takes my drive to take part competitively and puts it into a world with its own unique rules to master and experiences to have. When I see the combat in Overgrowth, its very clear this could make an AMAZING multiplayer game. Personally I imagine it something like low player count arena matches along the lines of WorldOfWarcraft. 2v2 seems like it could work very well. The type of multiplayer is up to the devs though.

Anyway, for example we all know starcraft2 -- I play multiplayer and have _never_ played the single play campaign ever, not once, not even to take a look. I don't even want to know what the single player is like. I know lots of players just like me.

I LOVE the look over Overgrowth and the combat system is looking AMAZING. I will not play this game as a single player game. That's not a threat of course, but it is a fact and something that might be worth considering.

Short version:
Add multiplayer!! Overgrowth combat is unique and sophisticated. A multiplayer version of this game could add a new genre to multiplayer gaming. This is an opportunity not to be missed!

Go Wolfire!!

Endoperez

Re: Multiplayer. My personal plea to wolfire.

Post by Endoperez » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:14 am

I assume you've read all the reason why it's likely that if there's multiplayer at all, it will be co-op first (if at all), and PVP only after that (if at all). Yes, it would be fun if it was done well and balanced well, and possible balanced in the future so that the most overpowered strategies wouldn't get to dominate the whole scene. Doing all that AND the single-player game is difficult. I, like many others, have spent dozens of hours playing uncountable games without touching the multiplayer at all. So personally, I'm happy with how things are.

polyoptics

Post by polyoptics » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:47 pm

I think pretty much everything is hard to add into the game. What gets added and what doesn't is a choice the devs make, depending on what they want the game to be.

I hope they consider adding a competitive multiplayer aspect to the game, as it seems to have a HUGE potential for greatness.

Endoperez:
It sounds like you're saying that you like single player and therefore multiplayer features should not be in the game. I do not see the connection between your love of single player and your want to not add a multiplayer option for Overgrowth. Can't we all just get along? :wink:

-poly

last

Post by last » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:38 pm

The problem is the hudge ammount of data that needs to travel between computers and it needs to travel really really fast to work without lagg.
I can imagine coop play with 2 computers but not deathmach with 2 or more computers.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:07 pm

polyoptics wrote:It sounds like you're saying that you like single player and therefore multiplayer features should not be in the game. I do not see the connection between your love of single player and your want to not add a multiplayer option for Overgrowth. Can't we all just get along? :wink:
I just meant to say that I won't mind, since it won't really hurt my ability to enjoy game. Just like it wouldn't hurt your ability to enjoy the game if there was no single-player. The only thing I have against multiplayer is that it would take resources away from single-player, and it's the other way around for you.

Also, the devs have mentioned they want to make single-player. They would also like to make multi-player, but as I said, co-op is of higher priority than versus modes. I understand it's mostly due to lag and how hard it would be to make reaction-based gameplay work well when there's more or less quaranteed to be lag in at least one end. As I said, it's been discussed to death in earlier threads.

polyoptics

Post by polyoptics » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Multiplayer and lag, this is an age old problem, yet twitch reaction multiplayer games are rampant. I hope that, although they have many, many constraints, Wolfire can find a feasible solution and add in some form of multiplayer.

It could be SO amazing.... my plea is out there, there isn't much point in beating a dead horse. I hope Wolfire is listening.

Go Wolfire!!

-poly
Endoperez wrote: The only thing I have against multiplayer is that it would take resources away from single-player, and it's the other way around for you.
That seems like terrible motivation for dialogue on the subject. I can promise I won't ever post in any thread that ideas should be excluded with this reasoning. :?

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:41 pm

ah well of course twitch based reaction games are rampant, but you have to remember they also include the requirement of aiming since the majority of them are first person shooters,since overgrowth doesn't require aiming and straight line running as key bits to it's combat, but rather requires almost entirely good timing in every aspect with a single slip up causing you to die, it would be incredibly irritating to have as large a ping difference as is likely in multiplayer. (forgive my terrible typing, next to no sleep)

polyoptics

Post by polyoptics » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:26 pm

IMHO, speculation on unknown/untested technical issues should not play a major part in the discussion of multiplayer.

It would be super fun and amazing to fight other people. Its SO cool looking and it is possible. Its up to Wolfire to decide if it is feasible and if they wish to pursue it.

-poly

CountRoland:
I strongly disagree with the argument that this type of game _can't_ be multiplayer.

I do agree that in multiplayer, the way the game is played may differ from the single player experience due to even small amounts of lag.

However, as unique as Overgrowth is in its combat system, the idea that it requires a level of timing that has never been seen, and is impossible to achieve, seems ludicrous at best!

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 pm

I didn't say can't anywhere, I was just saying it's a lot harder to do right

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:13 pm

Um, yeah lag. Unless Wolfire is going to host massive servers out of their apartment building's basement I doubt they'll have an easy time removing any amount of lag from a finished OG. And what people call twitch games are for slugs compared to OG. This isn't a twitch game, it's a freakin' puma-reflex game. Multiplayer also does draw resources away from single player, which is much more important for what OG is. 2 player Co-op, maybe even 4? Feasible. 8 player capture the flag? Good luck, because they're going to the need it.
I wouldn't multiplayer. Co-op would be a blast because I love co-op. If I could figure out all the goodies needed for it, I'd integrate co-op into a game project I have in mind. I just love the feel of co-op's ability to add more advanced strategies, tactics and awesome. It's just plain difficult, especially for an indie company that is producing a AAA quality game.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:36 pm

We really need a proper FAQ.
"Will there be multiplayer?"
- Propably CO-OP, possibly PvP

etc etc, had it with these forum nobs asking questions that have been grinded to ash already.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:54 am

[quote="polyoptics]That seems like terrible motivation for dialogue on the subject. I can promise I won't ever post in any thread that ideas should be excluded with this reasoning. :?[/quote]

I meant it more as "live and let live", or "play and let play" in this case.

polyoptics

Post by polyoptics » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:58 am

Agreed, it may be hard, but I hope Wolfire decides it's worth testing out, that would be an alpha game I would pre-order.

nutcracker:
I never asked if there will be multiplayer. Thanks for your valuable contribution though. :roll:

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:22 pm

The thing is, you were asking for multiplayer and I answered it. Doesn't matter what form the answer was presented in, it is still valid.

polyoptics

Post by polyoptics » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Multiplayer is a possibility, and this thread is my plea to Wolfire to give it their all.

Your hostility here is pretty silly, but not surprising. You have contributed nothing to this thread. :roll: