Story Wise

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Korban3

Re: Story Wise

Post by Korban3 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Well, there's this for cool stuff:
http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Alshain_De_Carbonel
http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Dogs#Famous_battles

There isn't a ton of released info on OG's cultures and races, but I have a feeling that the impending comic update will shed a lot of light on some characters and the more obscured races.

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:17 pm

David wrote:I'm hoping to focus the story more on emotional turning points this time, and less on conspiracies and organizations. I'm not sure how it will turn out, but I think that will be a better direction.
This is such great news. Thanks for this post, David. :)
Korban3 wrote:Well, there's this for cool stuff:
http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Alshain_De_Carbonel
http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Dogs#Famous_battles

There isn't a ton of released info on OG's cultures and races, but I have a feeling that the impending comic update will shed a lot of light on some characters and the more obscured races.
Very interesting read. I had no idea there was a wiki for OG. Thanks!

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:35 pm

SuXoR wrote:@endo - I definitely dont want to see anything related to the actual overgrowth game storyline. I was more referring to a desire to see more general worldlore (timeline, official map, religions, more detailed racial/clan backgrounds, geopolitics, economics, famous cities (are there even cities?) etc). I think it would help give ppl a lot more to look forward to other than just whether or not they like cats as opposed to dogs or rats and etc. Basically there are a few scraps of info on parts of the world that you could hunt down but nothing for you to actually understand any particular aspect of the world.

On the flip side, fully articulating a detailed world where everything is explained can take away from the mystic of the overgrowth world (and open them up to a bunch of critiques). I dunno if it's their intention to leave a lot of the details behind "why?" questions a mystery. (Although from the sound of it there are already a bunch of politics so if that's already going to be there then not explaining how it works would be a shame)
I'm not sure creating a massive, intricately detailed world for Overgrowth would help it.

Why complicate it? We've already suspended our disbelief with the talking animals that engage in high-flying kung-fu action with each other. Sure, there would need to be explanations surrounding the antagonists and the protagonist's motivations, but going into every little detail about the world seems counterproductive.

As far as the story is concerned, less is more. The more we can focus on the main character and his plight, the better off we'll be.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:42 pm

^
|
Agreed.
Fidchell: No problem.

SuXoR

Post by SuXoR » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:22 am

I feel there should be multiple characters for multiple types of players to relate to, and hence a larger background world

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:02 am

SuXoR wrote:I feel there should be multiple characters for multiple types of players to relate to, and hence a larger background world
The strongest relationship in the story should be between the players and the protagonist.

I agree with you, however, that the game should include some basic explanations of the different factions in the plot and their motivations.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:42 pm

Yeah, protagonists usually take the spotlight for emotional attachment.
I would enjoy seeing other characters that follow Turner around as buddy AI and can be played as during coop though. So maybe Turner is running around and meets Fiver or Janner and they run around. The AI controls Fiver/Janner and maybe follows basic commands. If it's so set, a player can jump-in via local controller or can connect thru teh internets and play. That way you're not stuck with co-op the whole time, and you don't have to exit and reload to bring a friend in.