Kids vs Minecraft

Anything else
Cypher10010101010000

Kids vs Minecraft

Post by Cypher10010101010000 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi, My name is Josh and I represent a few kids who are working in Java to make a game similar to Minecraft.
The aim is not actually to more popular than Minecraft but to create a cheaper, more capable, modern version. A world where a pick is just as outdated (but still fun) as it is these days.

The game is called Squaricle. We hope to allow for everything from becoming an astronaut to driving cars to building circuits and computers. The game is in its very earliest stages currently and we hope to only use what we can do or friends will do for us as a favour.

We have only started work on this in the last few months and as we are not trained professionals we will take longer than Notch did but we hope to have more imagination and unlock many more possibilities.

The site is
http://cypher-games.com

More on Squaricle at
http://www.cypher-games.com/squaricle.htm

I hope this interests you :D

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Kids vs Minecraft

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:55 pm

More capable, modern version? Minecraft has only been in production for less than a year and a half...in fact, the full version still hasn't been released.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:02 am

Well, best of luck with it,

(Must. Not. Make. Cynical. Comment.)

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:35 am

So you're making a clone that's simply going to be... "better."

Uh. What Zhukov said. Best of luck to you. I guess I shouldn't judge when the game is in its early developmental stages.

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Well, I'm not going the comment at the game, since I believe R_T and Zhukov already did a magnificent job explaining what I think.

But, I might ask why is it that every single post you've ever made here at the Wolfire boards contains at least a link to your website and in most cases (that is, 3 out of 4, if we forget about the part where you had another account which also has such a post associated) also contains some informative text (also known as "advertisement") about your games. I'm not here to judge, but wouldn't it be nice if you actually contributed something to the community over here instead of only telling people they should check out your game?

Oh well.

~ Black
The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:09 pm

you spelled infinite wrong on the squaricle page.

Cypher10010101010000

Post by Cypher10010101010000 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:57 am

Thanks.

Cypher10010101010000

Post by Cypher10010101010000 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 am

BlackHole wrote:Well, I'm not going the comment at the game, since I believe R_T and Zhukov already did a magnificent job explaining what I think.

But, I might ask why is it that every single post you've ever made here at the Wolfire boards contains at least a link to your website and in most cases (that is, 3 out of 4, if we forget about the part where you had another account which also has such a post associated) also contains some informative text (also known as "advertisement") about your games. I'm not here to judge, but wouldn't it be nice if you actually contributed something to the community over here instead of only telling people they should check out your game?

Oh well.

~ Black
The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

I'm sure it would be. But you guys all know a lot more about everything wolfire related and so I don't have much to say except that wolfire is cool. But I'm sure you know that.

To explain the trying to be better and more modern than Minecraft we hope to have more options about how and what you build and also have more modern tools such as drills, paint, winches and many more. Also we plan to have a storyline. I know that isn't very impressive but a storyline is what many free-roaming games seem to miss and we wanted to have a go at building one.

If you have anything to suggest about Squaricle I am very ready to listen to any advice.

Thanks

P.S. Hasn't Minecraft been around for two years?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:43 am

Funny, I was under the impression that free-roam games were generally quite strong story-wise. In fact, the storyline is often an integral part. The GTA series since 3, the Fallout series, the Elder Scrolls series, Infamous, Saints Row, Prototype, etc. etc. Not many free roam games that lack story, actually.

Cypher10010101010000

Post by Cypher10010101010000 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:28 am

Ok. But I think that story line is the downfall of Minecraft.

What I'm trying to say is we're just having a go at making a game and I wondered if you guys would be at all interested.

Thanks for the information.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Cypher10010101010000 wrote:Ok. But I think that story line is the downfall of Minecraft.

What I'm trying to say is we're just having a go at making a game and I wondered if you guys would be at all interested.

we're a group of hermit assholes

NO

jk probably just hit us up with development info i'm sure the majority of us will check it out for funs

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:06 pm

I honestly think you should go for it if that's what you want to do. If you're doing this because you think you will get a better profit, don't even bother trying.

I sometimes get the feeling that all these clones are trying to latch onto minecraft coat tails just to get a nice profit.

If you're in game development for big checks, you're not in the right place.

(hell, if you go into any kind of career or long-term hobby for the cash, you're not in the right place.)

Notch ... basically got lucky. It just so happened that his interest in creating a game aligned with what people would like from a game. His passion toward creating the game is what helped him achieve his profits. He wasn't directly trying to achieve huge profits.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Funny, I always thought a storyline and "win" scenario would be the downfall of Minecraft. That's one of the things that I liked about it, that it was missing these things, and what set it apart from other free-roam games, which as Ren pointed out, all seem to have pretty integral storylines. There's nothing wrong with a game telling a story, but I thought the mechanic of Minecraft made it an excellent platform for a story more like any human's story, where the object is not so much to "win" as to prosper and have fun in the process.
But I'll click your link for shits'n'giggles.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:45 pm

Cypher10010101010000 wrote:Ok. But I think that story line is the downfall of Minecraft.

Minecraft wasn't supposed to have a story, so it can't fall down there. That's like saying the only thing missing from SIm City is a storyline. You missed the point.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Skomakar'n wrote:I might see no point in horror games that are more interested in shedding blood or trying to frighten people than anything else, but that doesn't necessarily mean I missed whatever one there may be, if there is one. There just isn't a point for me, and that makes it unattractive to me.
That's a terrible analogy. There's a big difference between a game which is basically a 3D version of Lego not having a story and a horror game which is based on the tension of the world and which story would generally be an integral part of.

Would you write a letter to Lego Group complaining that your bundle of Lego wasn't accompanied by a novel?