Favorite Movies

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Favorite Movies

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:15 pm

If it comes to ridiculous films that still kick ridiculous amounts of ass, Equilibrium is one of them.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:39 pm

Speaking of which, I just watched Equilibrium. It was made of awesomesauce.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:56 pm

In that vein, I would have to throw in Highlander.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Holy shit. With a title that awkward, this movie has no right to be as thoroughly awesome as it is.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:05 pm

Agreed, on both counts.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:20 pm

Agreed, on one account. The Title is AWESOME. Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

blood-shard
Location: in a house in a heartbeat 28 miles away 28 days later

Post by blood-shard » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:12 am

Hate me for it.

Shitty CGI, Shitty Actors, shitty shitty shitty, all over. People crap on this movie a lot.

But I freaking loved the idea, and the story.

Immortal
From 2004.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:38 am

Just watched Oldboy. Oh dear Christ, that movie is a complete mindfuck in its purest form.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:07 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:The Host (South Korean)
YES. I love The Host. Puts western monster flicks to shame.
Grayswandir wrote:Indiana Jones 1-3
Yeah, I love the first three. Spielberg and Lucas had this spark in their early careers. Oh and The Crystal Skull sucked ass.
Jacktheawesome wrote:Gotta love them Monty Pythons.
I can sit back and watch Flying Circus episodes any day of the week. Love those guys.

A few of my favorites:

Brazil - Terry Gilliam (animator of the Pythons)
Save The Green Planet - (South Korea)
City Hunter - Jackie Chan
Travellers and Magicians - Bhutanese
The City of Lost Children - Jean-Pierre_Jeunet
Run Lola Run - (Germany)
Anything by Hayao Miyazaki, including Spirited Away.
Anything by David Lynch, like Mulholland Dr.
Anything by Werner Herzog, such as Rescue Dawn.

I also unabashedly love my own films... to an extent. Here's a new one for anyone willing to humor me.

ParaTurtle

Post by ParaTurtle » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:13 am

I have a weakness for Will Ferrel, and my favorite movie as of now is The Other Guys. Its just so ridiculous. Aim for the bushes my friends, aim for the bushes.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:43 am

I completely agree. He doesn't usually make the movies I would call my "favorites," but he certainly makes some hilarious ones. I understand why people wouldn't like his genre of humor, but I've always loved it. Probably my favorite Will Ferrel movie, actually probably one of my all-time favorites, is Land of the Lost. The one that got like, consistent 2 star reviews. Either I read waaay too much into that movie, or I am right and the people who made that movie are geniuses and critics just didn't get it. I thought it was amazing. It was all just so surreal, and corny. And the constant soundtrack of "A Chorus Line" playing through their shit time machine...I could watch that movie over and over...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Just watched Atonement. There's a part in this film that filled me with a kind of uneasy sorrow I've never felt before. I've cried during scenes in films, among them The Green Mile and Oldboy, but this was different. This was chilling. The kind of sorrow that literally left me short of breath and left me feeling cold all throughout my body. And that was worse. It just kind of washed over me, down the hairs on my back and in the pit of my stomach. At least crying can be therapeutic. Instead, I felt like a part of me died for a while. It was one of the most intense emotions I've ever felt while watching a film or reading a book. I don't know what I'd do without film and literature.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:41 am

Untadaike wrote:Anything by Hayao Miyazaki, including Spirited Away.
Those are the best.

I just saw Sherlock Holmes 2. HOLY SHIT. It just came out, so I don't really want to spoil it for prospective viewers, but if you either have no interest in the movie, or have already seen it, or just don't care, I'll put the spoilery bits in white. I was not disappointed at all. I have a weakness for Robert Downey Jr. (has anyone here seen Charley Bartlett? If not, go see it now. He is awesome in it). I had a feeling that they wouldn't stay true to the original story and kill him off with Moriarty, and I was worried they would make a mess of it, but I was actually alright with the way they held him on. It was less poetic, but a series with only two iterations is also a bit lame. One of the things I really like about those movies is the sound quality. A lot of action movies throw around gunshots as if they're no big deal; you get completely used to and comfortable with hearing them. The Sherlock Holmes movies make you wince with every shot and explosion, of which there are plenty. It's not like someone is firing off weapons in the theater, but it's a hell of a lot closer. Anyways, I liked it. You should see it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:12 am

Wait, so yours was the last post before mine, and that was made over a month ago. I resurrect the thread to make a point about a film, and you respond to an even earlier post than your last one, which was already there the last time you posted...I don't even...

Anyway, Hayao Miyazaki's films are nice.

And rather than watching the films, I suggest watching the BBC mini-series Sherlock. It's a lot better, although the films aren't bad. Benedict Cumberbatch is just so much more convincing than Robert Downey Jnr.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:44 pm

His post escaped my attention earlier, but when you posted, I noticed it. I had nothing to say to your post, so I responded to his.

I do like that series! I found it on Netflix a while back; I'm just waiting for another episode. He is a pretty good Sherlock. It's kind of funny to see Watson though, because I will always think of that actor as Arthur Dent. Even when I read the Hitchhiker's books, I imagine Arthur as that actor.