Fan Art

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
adwuga

Re: Fan Art

Post by adwuga » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:51 am

Well, birds are not anthropomorphic in the OG universe, but mammals are.

Bats are technically mammals.

I think a drawing of batman would suffice.

Robinx

Post by Robinx » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:51 am

So here is my one(don't expect something good)
I made it as I was bored. I quite like the result, but the fur looks terrible.

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:59 am

A Batman bat man... ok I'll have a stab at it! =D

For now, here's a:

Ratty Rat

P.s: The Rat's tabard was supposed to have a wheel of cheese emblem, looks more like the moon... =x

and a DoggyDog

P.s: No idea what I wanted those things on his shins to be... And i just noticed, the hammer's perspective seems a bit off.

P.S.s.s.s.s: Tell me if these drawings are any good or bad, so I keep 'em coming or go cry in a corner...!

wideeyedsmiles

Re: Turner's great, great, great, great, great, great, grand

Post by wideeyedsmiles » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Silverfish wrote:
wideeyedsmiles wrote:
Endoperez wrote:That doesn't work for me. It seems like you have a google-docs link to a PDF. It seems like we don't have access to view that GoogleDocs file, and I also don't understand why your image is inside a PDF.

EDIT: I found your DeviantArt page though, and the thumbnail in there does work. Not bad, not bad! The boot seems like it's turned too much away from the knee's direction, but I can't see it clearly from the thumbnail.

I sort of kind of, lost the jump drive I had is saved off of. Which also had the version I was coloring and editing in photoshop, I noticed that with the legs, and the left arm feels a little small, I was gonna tweak the posture some maybe. I don't know why it's not loading, it does that to me sometimes too. Thanks a lot though ^^ I've got a long way to go before my work starts to look legit though ^^
Could you perhaps link to the image so we can look at it without having to search for it? :)
http://wideeyedsmiles.deviantart.com/ :)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:40 pm

ShinyGem wrote:P.S.s.s.s.s: Tell me if these drawings are any good or bad, so I keep 'em coming or go cry in a corner...!
As it usually is, there's some good and some bad in them.

Your line quality is good. Your lines are precise where they should be, fuzzy where you imply fur, and so on. The guide / sketch lines are light enough that they can barely be seen. When you want to, your lines match each other's shape well (rat bandanna, the edge and the outline of the sharp part in sword's and knife's blades). My own linework is worse than yours. I'm not a great drawer though. :(

Your characters are a bit simple, but not bad. Your anatomy is a little few simplistic in few cases, but generally it's good enough. The few problems I noticed are hands (doggy dog - no fingers, ratty rat - no thumb on left hand, catty cat - too small compared to the head), head shape when not shown from side (catty cat), and the bat's feet. The other feet work well. The dog's tail is a bit weird to my eye, but I'm used to dogs with fluffy tails so it might be just that.

The dog hammer's perspective is bad, as you mentioned yourself. that could be made into a hefty axe with just a few lines though, and then it'd word just fine.

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Endoperez wrote: As it usually is, there's some good and some bad in them.

Your line quality is good. Your lines are precise where they should be, fuzzy where you imply fur, and so on. The guide / sketch lines are light enough that they can barely be seen. When you want to, your lines match each other's shape well (rat bandanna, the edge and the outline of the sharp part in sword's and knife's blades). My own linework is worse than yours. I'm not a great drawer though. :(

Your characters are a bit simple, but not bad. Your anatomy is a little few simplistic in few cases, but generally it's good enough. The few problems I noticed are hands (doggy dog - no fingers, ratty rat - no thumb on left hand, catty cat - too small compared to the head), head shape when not shown from side (catty cat), and the bat's feet. The other feet work well. The dog's tail is a bit weird to my eye, but I'm used to dogs with fluffy tails so it might be just that.

The dog hammer's perspective is bad, as you mentioned yourself. that could be made into a hefty axe with just a few lines though, and then it'd word just fine.
Thanks for the comment. ;)
Know and improve, now I know, I will improve!!

http://wideeyedsmiles.deviantart.com/ <--- Awesome drawings, I really liked the rabbit's different coloured fur. I'd call him cute if he wasn't holding a rifle. XD

Edit:

A, possibly, female Rat, I made her with no clothes because I want opinions on the anatomy and such. Also, I've never shaded or added "texture" to my drawings before, so, comments on that are appreciated as well.

SheRat

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:50 pm

The proportions are not quite what they'd be with humans. The legs are too big, hands too small, etc. It's hard to tell how much of that you intended to do, and what just happened. The sword and the hand that hold it seem to be in a weird angle, it's almost as if it's both behind and in front of the shoulder at the same time.

If you're serious about improving your drawing, the best thing would be to find a local teacher. If you can't do that, there are several good books (Nikolaides: The Natural Way to Draw, Betty Edwards: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, anything by Andrew Loomis). The most important thing is to draw a lot, though, and if you want to become better with anatomy, you should draw anatomical drawings from life or from pictures. If you don't have any models available, here are online resources:

Find a random pose, draw it without time limit
http://www.posemaniacs.com/randompose

Find a random pose, draw it with a time limit that can be set to be between 5 seconds and 1 minute
http://www.posemaniacs.com/thirtysecond

Negative space drawing - this is a good exercise. It helps you learn to draw precise outlines.
http://www.posemaniacs.com/negativespace

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:10 pm

Endoperez wrote:The proportions are not quite what they'd be with humans. The legs are too big, hands too small, etc. It's hard to tell how much of that you intended to do, and what just happened. The sword and the hand that hold it seem to be in a weird angle, it's almost as if it's both behind and in front of the shoulder at the same time.

If you're serious about improving your drawing, the best thing would be to find a local teacher. If you can't do that, there are several good books (Nikolaides: The Natural Way to Draw, Betty Edwards: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, anything by Andrew Loomis). The most important thing is to draw a lot, though, and if you want to become better with anatomy, you should draw anatomical drawings from life or from pictures. If you don't have any models available, here are online resources:

Find a random pose, draw it without time limit
http://www.posemaniacs.com/randompose

Find a random pose, draw it with a time limit that can be set to be between 5 seconds and 1 minute
http://www.posemaniacs.com/thirtysecond

Negative space drawing - this is a good exercise. It helps you learn to draw precise outlines.
http://www.posemaniacs.com/negativespace
Pretty cool, thanks. =)

Edit:

So, a Beach Bunny, I'm quite happy with this one, aside from the blasted legs, either one is too short or one is too long, take your pick! =D

Beach Bunny

Oh, also, I've tried that Posemaniacs program, pretty fun, I quite enjoyed it... Though I couldn't keep up with the time limited one. 60 seconds? Nooo, gimme me moar taimes! XD

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:56 pm

ShinyGem wrote:Oh, also, I've tried that Posemaniacs program, pretty fun, I quite enjoyed it... Though I couldn't keep up with the time limited one. 60 seconds? Nooo, gimme me moar taimes! XD

Yeah, the fast drawing thing is quite different from normal drawing. You have to sketch every part down fast, you can't focus on any single part. Thankfully they have other programs with no time limits!

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Endoperez wrote:
ShinyGem wrote:Oh, also, I've tried that Posemaniacs program, pretty fun, I quite enjoyed it... Though I couldn't keep up with the time limited one. 60 seconds? Nooo, gimme me moar taimes! XD

Yeah, the fast drawing thing is quite different from normal drawing. You have to sketch every part down fast, you can't focus on any single part. Thankfully they have other programs with no time limits!

Indeed!

And, I've started fixing my drawings, beginning with the Beach Bunny, I've also, albeit poorly, coloured him. Should I just fix the other ones or colour them as well? I reckon my bad drawing skills are only surpassed by my terrible colouring. XD

Beach Bunny

Doggy Dog

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:57 pm

The legs on the rabbit are off, but actually isn't the length that I notice. It's that, well... they've got too many corners. He's got digitrade legs, but plantigrade feet. So two heels. I guess the flip flops wouldn't fit any other way, though. Other than that, I think it turned out pretty good.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:05 am

The colors you use don't work very well together. Choosing good combinations is really hard though.

Another, more difficult thing is that the colors can be used to add detail too. You just put in some colour and that's that. They're blurry, spotty areas. You could use them to imply wrinkles in the cloth, light and shadow in the forms. The object's shininess tells something about their material. The dog's ankle decorations look like metal, because the highlights are very light compared to the dark material. The hammer doesn't look metallic, but not much like stone either. The hammer's handle lacks shadow and light, so the curvy form isn't as clear any more, and without light and shadow, doesn't look like wood.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:05 am

Those are some nice drawings ShinyGem! I especially like SheRat. What really makes those images cool to me is that you've drawn them on paper and not digitally. Drawing on paper is much harder to me because I can't ctrl + Z or just move something that doesn't end up in the right position.

Doggy Dog also looks great, especially the second iteration. Great work in general, you're getting some good feedback here as well so it's only going to get better.

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:38 am

Yes, yes, great comments, helping me a lot. =)

As for the colours, well, the last time I coloured any drawings was on... what, Third grade? And that's a while ago... I hate colouring, always screw up my drawings, just thought it would spice up the drawing a bit. =)

Anyway! I'll keep working on them, eventually I'll get a lucky hit and get it right. =)

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:48 pm

20's Bunny Pin-up style.