randomness

Anything else
Jacktheawesome

Re: randomness

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Yeah I try to stay away from religion in general. I don't have any problem with religious people, but I've never felt any need to believe in a higher power, personally. Religion is dangerous in the wrong hands.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:39 am

EDIT: I was going to post something regarding close-minded people, but didn't want to fuel a fire... I have actually learned something about the oh-so-serious Interwebz.
Jacktheawesome wrote:Image

You just found Memebase, didn't you?

Also, there are better ways to post those images.
Right Click -> Copy Image URL (or something, my browser is in Swedish)

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:36 am

Memebase? That is old hat, my friend. No I've been posting those for a couple days now, I don't know, there were just a couple situations where I thought they were appropriate, and there were no Wolfire memes that applied. Once you post one of them...Thanks for the tip though :)

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:00 pm

I think Alpha Protocol just set a personal record for fastest uninstall. I didn't even get through the tutorial before purging it from my hard drive. It looks like shit, the animation is terrible, it has the worst dialogue system I've ever seen, combat is boring and the PC controls are broken.

Stay the hell away from this one folks.

Curse you Steam sale, curse you and your damn prices!

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:09 pm

Haha, I've been caught with my fingers in that jar too. They had another sale of that game about 2 months ago, which was when I took a bite.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:58 pm

"What was the start of all this? When did the cogs of fate begin to turn? Perhaps it is impossible to grasp that answer now, From deep within the flow of time... But, for a certainty, back then, We loved so many, yet hated so much, We hurt others and were hurt ourselves... Yet even then we ran like the wind, Whilst our laughter echoed, Under cerulean skies..."

I wanna go replay Chrono Cross but am not sure if I still have the game :(

EDIT: Also, this. I loved the opening theme, but this song really makes me think back on the game... beautiful music.

In a way, it makes me sad; a 12 year old song evokes more emotion in me than most entire games do these days. Great games used to be works of art- now, more "gamers" care about casual gaming, games that don't make you think, shallow games that can be fun, but that don't affect you emotionally. I miss games like this. They're increasingly rare... in fact, I can't really think of a modern game that's had much effect on me emotionally, or been thought-provoking. Maybe a few moments in games where I was legitimately "Aw, that's sad," or some clever twists (also increasingly rare) in the likes of games such as Bioshock. All limited, though. MGS4 a few years back was probably the last game I've played with the storyline as a complex driving force, something you actually cared about, and not just "here is another generic FPS, enjoy." Not to trash modern gaming at all; some modern games are as brilliant as their more aged counterparts, at least in terms of fun if not art. It's kind of hard to pinpoint exactly what I'm finding lacking in modern games that seemed abundant in a lot of my favorite older games. Not necessarily a complex storyline, but a well thought-out one. It could be simple and still be touching. That seems horrifyingly lacking in the modern gaming world.

Hm. I'm begin to sound dangerously like the elusive GAMING HIPSTER (not to relight that silly debate, but... :roll: ) with my talk of old game superiority... I dunno. Do any of you guys kind of get what I'm saying? Maybe I'm just being nostalgic and weird. I think I'm going to go curl up with my PS2 this summer and replay some games that really deserve replaying.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:25 am

I apologize for the obnoxious presumptuousness, but... well, let me guess...

The old games you're referring to are ones you played as a kid or young adolescent. Now you're somewhere in you're late teens or early/mid twenties.

Am I correct?

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:45 am

*sniff* did someone say "hipster?" :P

I was not a gamer as a child; my parents kept me away from video games. Now I have a few PC titles here and there, and that's it, so not much from me about that. Also TL;DR, sorry. I really just jumped in here to reference the hipster fiasco. I'm gonna leave now.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:27 am

In unrelated news, I think a game just made me cry.

Now don't get me wrong, we're not talking full-on crying or anything like that, y'know, with the tears running down the face and whatnot. No, no, not at all.

But there was a distinct and undeniable moistening of the ol' eyeballs.

God damn.

Vibhor

Post by Vibhor » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:54 am

Lets see how many of you can recognize this:

On a completely unrelated note, I am playing ultima 6

Ragdollmaster

Re:

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:56 am

Zhukov wrote:I apologize for the obnoxious presumptuousness, but... well, let me guess...

The old games you're referring to are ones you played as a kid or young adolescent. Now you're somewhere in you're late teens or early/mid twenties.

Am I correct?
Yup.

Assaultman67

Re: Re:

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:54 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:
Zhukov wrote:I apologize for the obnoxious presumptuousness, but... well, let me guess...

Am I correct?
Yup.
That's normal for everyone ...

As you get older, the world becomes less full of wonder and more full of predictability and soul crushing facts.

You become desensitized to new things so you no longer get the reaction you once had when you encounter them. It happens to all of us over time.

What you want is what every intelligent adult wants ... the rose tinted glasses of their youth. It was a time when the world was filled with wonder and discovery. 10 years from now, there will be kids thinking to themselves "hey, remember Modern Warfare 3? Whatever happened to games like that?!?"

I think this is pretty much the reason I got into anime and is also the reason I'm now getting bored of it. When I first started watching anime, it was completely foreign to me, unlike anything I've ever seen. That unpredictability lead to a huge high in terms of entertainment. However, now that I have seen a lot of anime, it is now much more predictable to me and I no longer enjoy it as much.

Somehow though, it seems as if we can regain a shred of this entertainment by going back to things of the past through nostalgia factor, but even that fades over time.

Tl;DR: You're getting old.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Vibhor wrote:Image
That should be "Avatar" (auatar), if you're referring to the Runic script.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:19 pm

That's a vague and not totally accurate oversimplification. Of course nostalgia accounts for some of the feeling in playing old games, but there are old games which I've just recently played for the first time (I only played through Half Life last year, for example) that have the same air of quality to them. To correct my answer to Zhukov: Yes, some of the old games I'm referring to are ones I played as a kid, but some are games that I've just recently played, and some of them aren't very old at all- perhaps three or four years.

Too many modern games have become more about shallow entertainment value and sales than using games as a medium to convey thought-provoking concepts and messages. For instance, Call Of Duty- it's a fun series. The developers found a formula that they're sticking to. There's little variation between the four most recent installments in that series, and I can't imagine the devs are very passionate about their work- maybe they're still happy to do it, because they know the game will still make a killing in sales- but I can't imagine them taking pride in their work.

Of course, another factor that accounts for this is the rapid growth of the games industry in the past decade. If developers want to do well commercially, they have a few options. One is to make a game innovative and unique enough to stand out among the sea of brown shooter games. Mirror's Edge, Portal, LA Noire, Heavy Rain, etc. are pretty good examples of this. Another is to make a brown shooter game that's browner and more FPSy than the rest of them- oh, hello there CoD. Technical innovation is yet another way to go to wow the consumers- Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 got a lot of praise for their engines, for instance. Deep games with a whole lot to do, like any modern Bethesda title, are usually really well-praised as well.

It's hard to categorize all of the reasons for titles being successful- whether they be shallow and action-packed, like Assassin's Creed or Uncharted, good old sandbox-y fun like Just Cause or Prototype, deep and chock-full of content like The Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect- there's a certain factor in most modern games that's lacking. Not totally absent, mind, though it was certainly more common in older games, when technical innovations were slower and before online gaming dominated the masses, when developers had to rely on their games not only being fun but unique enough to stand out on the merit of their impact on the player. It's a subtle thing and difficult to pin down.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:That's a vague and not totally accurate oversimplification...
... or it's spot fucking on and you haven't even realized it yet. :P