randomness

Anything else
Ragdollmaster

Re: randomness

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:01 pm

...or you could try reading past the first sentence. I came very close to just calling you an idiot, though I'm guessing you weren't eager to peruse the entire wall of text. This might be of interest. Oh look, it starts at the second sentence.
...Of course nostalgia accounts for some of the feeling in playing old games, but there are old games which I've just recently played for the first time (I only played through Half Life last year, for example) that have the same air of quality to them. To correct my answer to Zhukov: Yes, some of the old games I'm referring to are ones I played as a kid, but some are games that I've just recently played, and some of them aren't very old at all- perhaps three or four years.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:45 pm

I read the entire thing the first time and was simply addressing the deeper lying problem head on.

Those old games that you just recently have played have a certain undefinable quality to them because they're old.

Half Life 2, Red Faction, Descent, Serious Sam, etc. all of them have pretty cheesy plots when you get down to it. However, at the time when you played them you didn't give a shit and was awed by it anyway.

Fast foward 4-10 years and now you get a nostalgic feel about anything from that time period. no matter if you have played it or not. The style is what appeals to you.

That low poly low detail speaks to your nostalgic side of simpler times even if you haven't even played it before.

If you were a decade older or a decade younger you probably wouldn't have liked those games as much.
Last edited by Assaultman67 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:46 pm

and some of them aren't very old at all- perhaps three or four years.
That's not to say nostalgia doesn't play a big role in it, you're absolutely right about that.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:
and some of them aren't very old at all- perhaps three or four years.
Three or four years is pretty old. if you're ... what? 18? 20?

Thats a fifth of your lifespan and about the time where your tastes start to change. (more like dull)

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:39 pm

This video has been doing the rounds lately.

Can't you just feel the love?

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:08 pm

I'm 15. By three or four years old, I don't mean that's when I played the games, I mean that's how old they actually are- I didn't get around to playing, say, Bioshock, until last year or so.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:39 pm

it makes me sad when people call a game from 2000 old.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:00 am

Well, ain't that a lovely young lady.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:59 am

That's totally true, about games from childhood seeming better simply because they're from that time period. As I mentioned earlier, I never really played video games until kind of recently; I never had a gameboy or gamecube or Nintendo 64 or any of the consoles that seem to always evoke nostalgia in my peers. Those games that they all remembered as being so awesome, and still sometimes play today, exclaiming how good these old games are, just come off to me as crappy old games. I never played them. The first video game I ever played was Twisted Metal 2, on my friend's PS2. That was a fucking epic time.

Korban3

Re:

Post by Korban3 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:32 am

Zhukov wrote:This video has been doing the rounds lately.

Can't you just feel the love?
[funny-but-serious video]
Fuck, and I thought us Americans were bad. Wow, she really pulled a Frank Norris there didn't she? I'm not sure there was anyone she didn't take a crap on. As for nostalgic games, I don't really care why I like them. I just care that I do. So you can all piss off, argue about modern games and be hipsters somewhere else while I play Spyro and Starfox and cry over Dinosaur Planet... Fuckin' hipsters... Fuckin' prejudiced Brit bitch... Makin' me feel like there's no reason to even try to be polite.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:07 am

Ahem.

Wankers.

That is all.

(As an American i never get to use that word :P)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Re:

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:16 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:That's normal for everyone ...

As you get older, the world becomes less full of wonder and more full of predictability and soul crushing facts.

You become desensitized to new things so you no longer get the reaction you once had when you encounter them. It happens to all of us over time.
Very well put. I was just talking about this the night before last with my housemate, except it was in the context of music. People think music was better "back in their day" and to a degree that might have a bit of truth to it in some cases, but what's also important to note is that once you hit your late teens and young adult years, you've pretty much seen and heard everything there is to see and hear. And so it is more few and far between when you actually find something which sounds fresh to you. Thus spawns the concept of "recycled garbage" being the order of the day in terms of music, video games, film, etc. Also, people love to complain, and it is fun to discuss which eras of music you loved from times gone past, but I take it with a pinch of salt when I hear people saying those kinds of things.

Also, on that note:

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:27 pm

I love that song :D

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:38 pm

I lol'd

Also this.

BEAUTIFUL 480p

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:51 am

DIdn't you post a Cerberus run earlier? or is this a different Cerberus run?