randomness

Anything else
Egan

Re: randomness

Post by Egan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:16 am

Jacktheawesome wrote:Heh. I never bothered around with agnosticism. Purist atheist about sums it up. I would like to think I'm not one of the obnoxious kind that goes around condescending to religious types, as I generally just try to stay away from the subject (for that reason), but I've never felt any need to have faith in a higher power when nature is perfect and sophisticated enough as it is. I think if I felt that the person who is running all of this is like us, but omnipotent as well, I wouldn't feel in very good hands at all.
same.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:04 pm

I think the general concept of God in major monotheistic religions (that is, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam) is a perfect, omniscient, omnipotent being. So being omnipotent, God would be capable of anything, but being omniscient, would only do what's "best", and being perfect, would be incapable of error.

I'm also pretty sure (though not entirely certain) that most of these religions maintain that it's impossible to fully understand/conceptualize a perfect God from an imperfect standpoint.

So personally, I'd be pretty happy with an all-knowing unerring dude having all the power. Can't be worse than our current political situation :roll:

That said, the TV I posted. I feel like it got buried in this religious tangent. Or it was just so uninteresting that everyone ignored it, in which case, please feign interest now for the sake of my feelings :cry:

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Hueh. This is actually pretty old (late August) but I didn't notice it until recently.

HD Link

Neat. Pretty reasonable price for a 3D TV. It's not very big (I think 27"?) but that's not a huge problem for me- you could have a pretty nice set up using that at a computer desk with the console somewhere close by. For the most part, unremarkable, but SimulView seems pretty sweet. It's about the only practical application of 3D tech that I've seen in gaming.

I don't think I'll personally ever get this particular model, but it is cool to see technology like this demonstrated in a practical commercial form. Over time, though, the tech will (hopefully) get more efficient, resulting in larger and cheaper TVs. I'd really like to see 3D technology improved upon in the upcoming generation of consoles since modern 3D gaming is kind of a gimmick- cool, but definitely not very important for sales etc.
Aussum!
kehaar wrote:
adwuga wrote:I don't know what your talking about.
hOLY CRAP, THAT THING'S REAL?!
Pastafarianism. It's very real.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:48 pm

OK, that is a pretty cool screen.

Anyone try a 3d TV they actually like? All the ones I looked at in the store started to make my eyes sting after 10 minutes...

So that screen with the two glasses and two different screens, it must be pretty critical what angle you're sitting at, how far away, etc. for it to work right.

Also, as an American I'm pretty sick and tired of the influence the Christian twits have in our schools and government, so I frikkin' love the Pastafarians.

I just can't seem to get over my suspicion that the Christians that like creationism embrace it because of straight up laziness. By which I mean, if you just say "God Did It!" you don't have to do one more minute of crunching the Biology, Geology, Physics,Chemistry and Astronomy textbooks, setting up controlled experiments, or taking those pesky tests. Put your pencil down, you're done!

Tough if you want to be a doctor, I guess, but who was going to do that anyway.

Just use the science that other people have put the hard work into to drive your car or watch your TV or drink clean water or get medical help, and deny the results you don't like while you use aaaaaalllllllll the thousands of things that result from all that research every single day.

Bungholes.

Their kids weren't going to contribute anything useful to the rest of the world anyway, but to inflict that workless-ethic shite on other people's kids is pretty mean and short sighted.
[/rant]

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:14 pm

kehaar wrote:OK, that is a pretty cool screen.

Anyone try a 3d TV they actually like? All the ones I looked at in the store started to make my eyes sting after 10 minutes...

So that screen with the two glasses and two different screens, it must be pretty critical what angle you're sitting at, how far away, etc. for it to work right.
Well, 3d tv's have two screens or something*, and show the same image from two perspectives, which the glasses split the light and point it into your eyes or something*, giving each eye it's respective perspective(hehe) giving the illusion of depth. I assume this works the same way, but it gives each player their own 2d screen instead of giving two perspectives for 3d to everyone, so positioning and all should be the same as regular 3d, meaning it won't cause problems. If I'm right, this tech would work with any 3d tv, but the tv might need to have this function programmed in or something*. I also get eyesores though, so I'll wait till glassless 3d is practical.

*or something indicates that the previously mentioned statement is most likely partially or entirely wrong

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:40 pm

Keharr wrote:...influence the Christian twits have in our schools and government...
I must say, this is about where my tolerance of Christianity (or indeed any domineering religion) breaks down. No business of mine what people do at home and in their heads, but when presidents are judged for what religion they follow, shit gets unconstitutional and whatnot. Why swear on the Bible? Why not the Torah? The Quran? On the Origin of Species? That I don't like very much.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:42 am

Jacktheawesome wrote:
Keharr wrote:...influence the Christian twits have in our schools and government...
I must say, this is about where my tolerance of Christianity (or indeed any domineering religion) breaks down. No business of mine what people do at home and in their heads, but when presidents are judged for what religion they follow, shit gets unconstitutional and whatnot. Why swear on the Bible? Why not the Torah? The Quran? On the Origin of Species? That I don't like very much.
Why not not swear since it's usually pointless, and when it's not, those people would have told the truth anyways.
And homophobia stems from christianity primarily, making the banning of gay marriage unconstitutional as well.

Source(s): I'm Gay.

But you have to admit, Relgion has it's perks:

Scientific Advancement
and
Love for each other(both the article and the comments show examples, excluding that first racist comment)

Since sarcasm isn't allowed, I'll post a joke instead.

After all this I want to say that I agree with Jack, I don't hate religion or it's people, I just don't see the point. Sometimes religion is great, it depends on the person.

Actually, I'm Christian, and I have an unarguably better argument than the sarcastic crap above:
God moves in mysterious ways.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:55 am

I like this guy:
[quote=""Muslim Person," from the comment section of adwuga's link"]I am Muslim, and I would like to say a few things. I do in fact oppose Sharia law, but it is unfair to judge our entire religion based on that. I know a great deal of Muslims in Bangladesh and Pakistan, and they are all extremely tolerant. None of us(the people I know) care about religion at all. My family, living in Muslim countries, have quite a few Cristian and Jewish friends.

It is also extremely hypocritical to call us intolerant but say things like

"This is a Christian nation ........." (Despite the fact that the constitution says no religion in government? Christianity is a majority, but all of those other religions are there, and they should be given equal rights. That is one of the great things about America.)
"Why we didn't drop a bomb on that god forsaken country and turn it into a giant sheet of glass; I'll never understand." (This shouldn't need an explanation, but here goes: Judging an entire country based on the skewed views of a minority(yes, a majority of people in ALL Muslim countries are much more tolerant than portrayed, although majority are admittedly not that tolerant, but they aren't so extreme) is extremely ignorant and hypocritical. Then saying EVERYONE deserves to DIE is insanely hypocritical. You call us all intolerant and violent(which in itself is hypocritical) and go on to say that all of us deserve to die. Not even the crazy ones deserve to die, though they do deserve prison. Doesn't it say in the Bible that we should never kill, and be forgiving? It says the same in the Qur'an. They are actually quite similar, if the Qur'an is more old fashioned. The Qur'an actually is quite peaceful and tolerant for the most part, though it can be interpreted differently)

"Their god has horns and a pionted tail" (Despite the fact that our god is the same god as yours, just with a different name? The crusades were fought over this, but no one has learned, so history is repeating itself.)

"Might I suggest bullets dipped in pig's blood for our troops that are left over there." (If you think that will help, go ahead. It will just cause the almost extreme Muslims to become extreme, and that just makes things worse.)

"I read it, its a CLEAR rip off of the Old Testament." (So is the Bible, but the Bible has changed over time)

"These animals do not understand peace, Any nation that kills women,
children and citizens for noncompliance to some stupid and inhumane
religious ideology is no different than cancer...it needs to be
destroyed." (Again, judging us from a few insane individuals is ignorant, but I agree otherwise)

"Further, we should deny entry to ANY MORE MUSLIMS, regardless of what country they come from!" (Is that any better than Sharia law? Actually it is worse, since it directly goes against the founding principles of America. If you do this, other countries might adopt Sharia law, and every Muslim (and a lot of other minorities) in America would leave or. in a few rare cases do something stupid and violent, causing many innocent people to get injured and then not be able to get help, since half of the Doctors will be gone)

"These 8th century idiots don't belong in the 21st century." (I agree, but like I said before, most of us aren't like that)

I could go on, but that is enough.

You cannot judge such a large group of individuals based on the insane beliefs and actions of some. That would be like me saying all Christians are hypocritical and ignorant based on people like all of you, which is false, but I know better since I am not as ignorant of Christianity as you all are of Islam. Please learn and try to be more tolerant, something that many Muslims could do as well.[/quote]

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:40 pm

:lol:
That was me, I came across this article while working on a geography project, and I had to rant. Anonymous religious debates are the best, since I can lol at the fanatics without hurting someone I know. Some of the articles on yahoo have hilarious creationist debates.
I am Muslim, but barely, although much of my family is very religious. I guess you could call me agnostic, but I don't really care. I do follow a little bit of my religion, but mostly just because that's how I was raised.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Every time this topic gets dragged out I can't help but vent a bit ...

a) Science does not support atheism. Since there is no evidence to support the existence of a god, nor is there evidence to support the absence of a god. The only "conclusion" it does support is agnosticism.

You are an atheist because you believe there is no god.

You are a theist because you believe there is a god.

It is very silly for atheists to berate theists for their beliefs pertaining to science.

b) Science and Religion do not conflict in their purest forms. Science is based on logical deduction of observations of our reality where as religion is for emotional support in times when we need it. There are stories often used to explain the unexplainable (at the time) but this is not the main reason for religion.

c) Science is not the answer to everything. This tends to get people wound up. Science is a methodology that provides working theories as to how things work. However, there have been tons of cases where these theories (accepted as general knowledge) have been disproved. People however tend to forget this and still take scientific knowledge as absolute fact. Due to our limited intelligence and limited perception resulting in limited comprehension of information, this scientific knowledge will never become complete (knowing everything there is about the universe and beyond).

Therefore, "catch all" laws are made in which general observed trends are labeled as fact. such as law of conservation of momentum. This law states that any body in motion will stay in motion. However, this is a bit like saying "all mice I've seen are grey, so all mice are grey".

TL;DR: Science is becoming a faux religion.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:24 pm

I agree with everything you said, but science isn't supposed to be the answer to everything, it's supposed to try to get to that point, even though it never will. I do believe in God, but not really religion so much.

For the atheists berating theists about science, I mostly just berate theists who are creationists. Evolution as we know it has changed many times, but that is why we are still researching it. That is what science is. However, unless God thought "Hmm, lets make a Universe, make it look like its 14 trillion years old, create humans on a seems to be 4 billion year old planet, and 6 thousands years into their existence they will have developed 'science' to prove the ages that are actually fake! TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL," I'm pretty sure our estimates for the ages and such are pretty close, and that evolution is the way we became how we are now. That much is pretty clear from science. Otherwise, science is completely befuddled at the creation of the universe. Sure there is the big bang theory, but where did the singularity the big bang banged from cum from?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:18 pm

All this religious reminds why I love being me.
While I'm not Christian, I honestly don't like the God we have. He sucks.
I miss the God that wasn't loving and all-forgiving. When you stepped out of line God put you in your place: Hell. And it wasn't some dinky ass temporary period of judgement; you got fucking eternity. And all though the Catholic church used that image of God to really fuck with the followers, at least people were generally well behaved. Sure we went on a few Crusades and sure there were some not-witches burned, but that only shows that were on our toes. And besides, Spain would be Muslim if it weren't for those Crusades, and we all know that the rest of the modern world would never want that. America alone would have a bitch-fit if a modern and successful country was primarily Muslim.
And on that, I hate American relief programs. Some of them do good, but they really keep the budding African countries down. Those damn ads for donating to the 97% of Africa that just happens to be starving and the children that haven't aged a year since I was six. Fuck, South Africa isn't doing bad at all. IIRC, their economy is predicted to be worth more than the US economy per capita sometime within the next decade or two, which is great for them. But those aid programs just portray the Africans as universally helpless and incapable of having a society.
[/rant]

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:24 pm

[/religious section]

Omegle's fun, if a little annoying what with all the horny little 14 year olds hunting for cyber sex...

The thread was starting to look a little structured, didn't like where it was going since it's "Randomness" :D

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Not if you pretend to be a horny little 14 year old girl hunting for cyber sex ...

... But that didn't come from me. >_> <_< >_>

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:45 pm

This is a lovely story about the death of a meme.

Part 1: http://i.imgur.com/uYmM1.jpg
Part 2: http://i.imgur.com/jg1Ty.png