S.O.P.A. (Stop Online Piracy Act) could censor the Internet!

Anything else
Korban3

Re: S.O.P.A. (Stop Online Piracy Act) could censor the Inter

Post by Korban3 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:49 pm

So I no longer have proper justification for an bloody and violent armed rebellion?

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Well there's still the NDAA...

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:26 pm

:lol:

long as you don't stock food for more than 7 days...

Hey, what the heck am I supposed to do with this earthquake kit they're always telling us we're supposed to have out here in California?

And these 3500 MRE's I stocked for Y2K? Those are still perfectly good, right?

mmm, ready to eat... :P

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:33 am

Exactly! They tell you to always be prepared for natural disasters, they allow you to own guns, but in some obscure provision of the military budget bill they say you're a suspected terrorist for doing it.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:51 am

Actually, some MREs are rather edible. I'm not enlisted yet, but I've tried three different kinds so far. The Marines office in my RSS had a party on the USMC birthday and the poolees got an MRE to try. I got meatballs, while my one of my friends got meatloaf and gravy and the other got a chicken breast.
Mine was actually pretty tasty. Imagine canned meatballs and sauce, except the flavor is rather stale :lol:
My friends, however, got shit meals. The chicken breast was a uniform color all the way through, and he got some cor bread mash shit. The cornbread tasted like boiled cream of wheat. My other friend's was just as bad. She got the meatloaf with gravy and mashed taters. The meatloaf and gravy, she said, was like canned catfood and the potatoes were worse.
I lucked out that day, and those things are great if you're low on food. Each one is like 1900-2500 calories, their freakin' powerhouses.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:13 pm

:cry: They lied.

My personal highlight from the article: "To enact legislation that protects consumers, businesses and jobs from foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property" - Lamar Smith

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Not as worried this time though. I think they know the Internet has won, and they're stalling for time momentarily, in the hopes that people will forget about it.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:12 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:Not as worried this time though. I think they know the Internet has won, and they're stalling for time momentarily, in the hopes that people will forget about it.
The internet doesn't forget as easily as the rest of the world.

the majority of people do forget, but all it takes is one person to say just the right thing and boom! instant internet mob!

You should see the drama happening with /r/trees on reddit. Their moderator was apparently skimming off of charity money he was sponsoring ... stealing it basically.

One careless post from him and the whole fucking subreddit exploded and people are bailing ship to other subreddits and talking about legal action. To be honest, I don't even go to that subreddit and I heard about it :/

The instant mob is kinda nice when immediate action is needed, however, I feel as if people go into "mob mode" without getting the full picture. They seem to often get the side of the "victim" and then take action without even considering what the other persons story is.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Me too. We probably saw the same post on the front page.

Yeah, the Internet is a dangerous, unwieldy, and potent weapon. It's really no wonder the government want's to curtail its ability. Hope to bujeebus they don't manage to though, in case we ever need to use it for something more important than "down with Tumblr."

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:08 am

YAY GOOGLE Did something!
Also GO WOLFIRE! You have the coolest blackout thing I've seen yet.

EDIT: Oh wait, other websites have the shadowy thing too. It's still cool.

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:24 am

Nice read:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-0 ... sures.html

Pardón if this has been posted already, just thought I'd share anyway...

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:29 pm

The so-called blackout day to protest anti-piracy legislation is “abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today,” Christopher Dodd, chairman of the Motion Picture Association of America, said today in an e-mailed statement.
I want to punch him in the face.

What does he call 90% of media being controlled by five major companies?

If those five companies back SOPA (which, they do) how are those companies not abusing their power by not reporting about it?

So their corporate strategy just went from "don't mention sopa to the public" to "actively slander every who dislikes sopa to the public"

Some sopa protests:
Wolfire.com
Moddb.com
Google.com
Wikipedia.org
http://www.reddit.com/
http://www.minecraft.net/
https://www.eff.org/
http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/en/
http://mashable.com/
http://wordpress.org/
http://wordpress.com/
http://www.wired.com/

all independantly owned

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:
The so-called blackout day to protest anti-piracy legislation is “abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today,” Christopher Dodd, chairman of the Motion Picture Association of America, said today in an e-mailed statement.
What? (There is no emote confused and angry enough in the world. There really isn't)

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:12 pm

zoidberg rules wrote:
Assaultman67 wrote:
What? (There is no emote confused and angry enough in the world. There really isn't)
Seriously. This :twisted: to the fifth power might do it. Since when has extremely peaceful protesting, of anything you don't like, been an abuse of power? And spreading awareness to a secret bill that will affect the entire world hardly seems to be the immoral position. Hiding a bill like this should be illegal. Very illegal.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:32 pm

I think if it passes I'll go about murdering people and burning them in their beds and what not and see how secret that's kept.