Ravaged: A post-apocalyptic Battlefield?

Anything else
Korban3

Re: Ravaged: A post-apocalyptic Battlefield?

Post by Korban3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Yeah , I'm steering Dominance in a post-apocalypse direction, although I'm rather sick of the stereotypical apocalypse settings At least Rage was rather creative with it and the Fallout series can be pretty whimsical and witty at times.
But Dominance is like a 1000-years-ago-apocalypse-no-more-guns-left-brawling-platformer-exploration-is-baws-and-shit-is-coming-back-together sort of apocalypse. I did that concept art for it that features a waterfall and some grass and a tree and such as I don't want the game to end up being like "Oh, another red rock. Yay. Oh look. Some more sand. Yay. Oh look, a mutant. Yay." I want to have some vibrancy and life to it as well rather than just being all dead.
But I do enjoy the sci-fi stuff too. I've got a good number of ideas for that and it is, in-fact, one of my favorite genres to explore. But I'm saving sci-fi for when I decide to polish up Dominance and call it done. Then I'll move on to physics, procedural animations, ragdolls, maybe even some 2D normal mapping as well as lighting and things. Just stuff I want to have a better backdrop for than my first game evar.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Freshbite wrote:Am I the only one tired of the entire post-apocalyptic scene?
A year can't go by without atleast two games hitting the market with this selected theme.
Not really, just sick of things that use disaster aftermaths as a shitty tacky gimmick to be trendy because it's the in thing at the moment. Like Rage (which seems like it might be fun, but nevertheless seems like it's jumping onto the post-apocalyptia bandwagon for the heck of it), and this:

Post-disaster themes are always interesting for me as long as they deal with the psychological effect it has on people. Games like Fallout do well to document the degeneration of the human race in times of strife. I prefer the setting to a lot of other things.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:47 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Post-disaster themes are always interesting for me as long as they deal with the psychological effect it has on people. Games like Fallout do well to document the degeneration of the human race in times of strife.
Amen

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:53 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Like Rage (which seems like it might be fun, but nevertheless seems like it's jumping onto the post-apocalyptia bandwagon for the heck of it)
Exactly what I was thinking.
Renegade_Turner wrote:and this:
I thought it was a joke at first, like a parody made by devoted fans. To think that they actually made it... is just hilarious.
Renegade_Turner wrote:Post-disaster themes are always interesting for me as long as they deal with the psychological effect it has on people.
That I can agree with, but as you said, developers (and publishers for that matter) who's just "jumps on the bandwagon" for the heck of it makes me sad. The studios that create them have the potential to do something amazing, but they all lack in execution.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:43 pm

this all kinda makes me really sad that project V13 got shut down :(

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:25 pm

On a similar note, I just started playing Borderlands, so damn addictive.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Guess what? A new dodge charger will never be seen being used in a post apocalyptic setting 1-2 years after an apocalypse.

After a year I doubt you would see gasoline vehicles at all.

Pretty much the only vehicles you would see would be diesel vehicles that have carburetors.

New vehicles require too many specialized parts. Specialized parts require a much more complex distribution network, manufacturing, etc.

Diesel engines last about x10 longer than gas engines and are actually in general more fuel efficient.

Also, gasoline breaks down in a about year making it non-useable. Diesel is basically a low viscosity oil.

You can put all sorts of shit into a diesel and it will run as well. Vegetable oil, canola, deep fat fryer oil ...

probably even crude oil if you processed it a bit using a distillation column.

[/end rant]

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:03 pm

True that, although running a diesel engine on most of those would probably screw it up royally, meaning that they too would be rare, what with engine parts becoming harder and harder to find and fit. Basically, give it a couple of years at best and walking/cycling is most likely the best form of transport you'll find.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Or an electric motor. A golf cart can tow a full sized pick-em up truck up almost 10 degrees grades. Those motors put the energy almost directly into the wheels and are thus ultra efficient. And they are even simpler and more robust than a diesel engine. You can put anything into those: Sunlight, batteries, magnets and copper coils. Anything that produces a movement in which one part passes by another regularly can be rigged to generate electricity on the move, like bicycle tires. You can put strong, flat magnets on there in alternating polarity and have them pass through/by a bunch of copper wiring and it'll generate electricity when you're moving. Feed that into a battery and you can power a GPS (Non-applicable in this scenario) or a light when you're moving and when you're stopped. And you can make a freakin' battery at home. You can also use windmills and car alternators to generate electricity or default to magnets and copper wire again; whichever floats your boat and powers you're fridge.

Jazzmutant

Post by Jazzmutant » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:08 pm

underthedeep wrote:this all kinda makes me really sad that project V13 got shut down :(
Why is this my first time hearing this????

Monkeyy

Post by Monkeyy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 am

I'm kind of surprised at the reaction to this. I for one like Post-Apocalyptic settings and/or Zombies.

And in quite the opposite manner I think SCI-FI is what's overdone. Never played Mass Effect because it never really caught my attention. The new one Bethesda are doing looks alright though. Forgot what it's called reboot of an old title.

What I'm tired of is Halo games and shiny laser guns, space marines etc and generic FPS. I'm gonna slam Killzone in that category to even out the console gap. No interest in either really. Played the KZ3 demo but meh.

But Ravaged looked pretty cool, I'll check it out when I get home.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:01 pm

You know, I'm kind of tired of generic sci-fi. Dead Space had it's own thing going on, but a lot of sci-fi stuff is more cut n paste than the apocalypse stuff is. What I really miss is the old skool swords and lasers sci-fi. Like Dune. Mm... Dune.
I'd like to see zombie games branch out a bit too. Project Zomboid has me pumped, but that's the only one I've seen at it's level of depth and epicry.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:16 am

Yeah there's just not enough good clean sci fi in games.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:56 pm

No, no there is not.
I WILL RESURRECT IT ALL!

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 pm

Thread resurrection time

2Dawn just released the game on steam along with a free demo that allows you to play in demo servers (these seem to be overflowing at the moment, so it's a good bet that the game is getting popular). There's also a new trailer:

Blog post from them on launch: http://www.2dawn.com/games/ravaged/news ... ged-launch

Anywho, if it looks interesting, go check it out! Hope to see some of you guys ingame :P