Am i alone?

Anything else
Starman

Am i alone?

Post by Starman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:59 pm

Am i alone in the fact that i love X-com? Does anyone else like it?

Dudeman

Re: Am i alone?

Post by Dudeman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:09 am

Terribly, ball-crushingly, spirt-rapingly alone.

I actually have no idea what X-Com is.
So yeah.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:40 am

Dudeman wrote:Terribly, ball-crushingly, spirt-rapingly alone.

I actually have no idea what X-Com is.
So yeah.
+1

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:32 am

If you name a thread about X-Com "Am I alone?", yes, you will be. If you name a thread about X-Com "Who else likes X-Com?", the other people who like X-Com will find it.

X-Com is an awesome mid-90s squad based combat game.

A steretypical mission in X-Com goes like this. Somehow, your interceptors and radar systems missed a UFO, and it landed near Paris. You send a team of rookies to the landing site, expecting to blast some gray scout aliens, but it's night, so you can't see any of them. Your first guy steps out of your ship, and is shot dead by an alien sniper, because aliens do see in the dark. A second guy walks out, is shot but lives, and promptly panics, firing his gun into the darkness. The third guy gets out, throws a light grenade to the direction the shots were coming from, and you can see the first quarter of a huge alien battle-ship, several aliens floating high in the air, and a huge fighting cyborg monster in the ground. Luckily you're carrying some rocket launchers for just these situations... unfortunately, a few rounds later an alien mind-controls a guy with a rocket launcher, and he shoots his last rocket to your own team.

I think there might be some modern game sharing the name, but I can't see how anyone could have the time to play it when there's already an awesome mid-90s squad based combat game.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:27 am

A friend of mine loves X-com, so you're not completely alone, I have only ever very briefly played it, aren't they FPSing it for a release this year on 360 and ps3?

Starman

Post by Starman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:25 am

Yes they are fpsing it and its ticking me off because 3 of the 5 X-com games were epic top down strategy games.

Starman

Post by Starman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:28 am

So endoperez did you know that X-com is on steam? it is and the whole collection is 15 dollars though separately their all $5 in America. So if you want it go to steam make a account if don't have one and but all for 15 dollars in America idk in pounds.

SiHy_

Post by SiHy_ » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:00 pm

You are never alone. Especially when it come to X-COM (or to give it it's proper title: UFO - Enemy Unknown).
It truely is one of the best games ever made (part nostalgia, part earnestness) and it's sad that the remakes and sequels over the years have been, or are going to be, massive disappointments. Xenonauts is reportedly shaping up to be quite good though.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:13 pm

There's going to be a remake of X-COM that isn't a shooter but a full on strategy game by Firaxis, hopefully that'll turn out well. I have it preordered.