The Broadside Express - Continued

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Korban3

Re: The Broadside Express - Continued

Post by Korban3 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:10 am

Awesome, thanks for the info. Guess I won't be inspecting it ;)
And yes, the assets are up for download. Lemme find the link...
https://twitter.com/#!/Wolfire/status/1 ... 1917031424

SamW

Post by SamW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:22 am

Ugh, I downloaded the project, looked at some files, then I remembered that the free version of unity is not friendly with version control systems.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:41 am

Ok, after digging through the scripts and objects and actors, my first thought is to fix the cars that follow you. When you turn, the engine tilts, but the cars behind you remain perfectly vertical. I should be able to do this using David's script for the the engine.
The other idea I had was to maybe do two modes: One that is what the game is already. The train and such. The other idea I had was to maybe have a totally separate mode where you play as one of the cute little infantry guys and go around shooting 8-bit models and getting into jeeps and onto bikes, and kid of make it into an action platformer. That's a bit lofty at this point, but I'd have fun with it ;D

zazery

Post by zazery » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:50 am

SamW wrote:Ugh, I downloaded the project, looked at some files, then I remembered that the free version of unity is not friendly with version control systems.
Actually the latest version (3.5) supports external version control with the free license. I've been using it for a couple projects and it works quite well. You need to turn enable support in Project Settings and it will generate a .meta file for the assets so you do not need to commit the Library folder. (see documentation for full instructions)

I really enjoyed watching Aubrey create all those amazing assets and I'm very tempted to play with them but I've got too many projects on the go. Alternative game modes sound really exciting.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:06 am

Haha, don't get your hopes too high ;) I have only just started with Unity, so it's gonna be a little rocky for a bit.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:19 am

Well, I tweaked with the code a bit. Got the second camera mode, where you can look around manually with the mouse to respond with non-inverted axis. I don't like inverted up-down and to be more sensitive as it was too slow at looking around.
I got the cars behind the engine to lean some, but it's jerry rigged really. They won't do it by themselves through their Car Script. Not sure why yet. I'd like to try and get the buggy guy in and working. Maybe start tonight or early tomorrow. I'm starting to warm up to Unity's scripting, and it's pretty nice. Still pretty n00b at it, though.

Markus1985

Post by Markus1985 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:02 am

Does anyone have the controls for the game somewhere? :oops:

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:13 am

Hmm, I've got a Buggy prefab, but I can't get it to load in the LevelScript.js file. David didn't use the scene editor to place his objects at all, and nothing is done using Unity's GUI. He's obviously very capable with Unity :lol: because I can't figure out jack-shit about how to get the scripts to load my pre-fab.
His LevelScript looks like this in the inspector panel:
NOTHING_EXISTS.png
NOTHING_EXISTS.png (25.96 KiB) Viewed 10875 times
The Buggy_object is my prefab. I put in the line in the code just like his:
var buggy_object : GameObject;

But it says that it isn't assigned and then stuff breaks. But I looked through all the scripts and David's prefabs are never assigned, they're just declared at the top of LevelScript.js
I am so confused by David's methods :lol:

EDIT: You use W to accelrate, D to reverse, A and D to turn. Use Q and E to fire port and starboard. Backup to other train cars to attach them. Tab makes the slo-mo turn on.

SamW

Post by SamW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:13 pm

zazery wrote:
SamW wrote:Ugh, I downloaded the project, looked at some files, then I remembered that the free version of unity is not friendly with version control systems.
Actually the latest version (3.5) supports external version control with the free license. I've been using it for a couple projects and it works quite well. You need to turn enable support in Project Settings and it will generate a .meta file for the assets so you do not need to commit the Library folder. (see documentation for full instructions)

I really enjoyed watching Aubrey create all those amazing assets and I'm very tempted to play with them but I've got too many projects on the go. Alternative game modes sound really exciting.
"External Version Control is available in all versions of Unity"
Oh, you are right, I guess I didn't notice that. That is great then.
Korban3 wrote:Hmm, I've got a Buggy prefab, but I can't get it to load in the LevelScript.js file. David didn't use the scene editor to place his objects at all, and nothing is done using Unity's GUI. He's obviously very capable with Unity :lol: because I can't figure out jack-shit about how to get the scripts to load my pre-fab.
NOTHING_EXISTS.png
Look at the Level game object instance in the scene, not the Level Script asset

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:35 pm

Hey Guys,

I want to help with this project as well (if you'll have me...). I never finished my 2nd track for the game in time to have it added to the game, but we can certainly start by getting it in there. Boht tracks I wrote are on Soundcloud, and I'll make a looping version of the 2nd track when you're ready. Also, if you need more music as the game progresses, let me know!

Also, for key commands, 1-3 changed the view of the camera, which wasn't listed in the last key command comment.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 pm

SamW wrote: -SNIP-
Korban3 wrote:Hmm, I've got a Buggy prefab, but I can't get it to load in the LevelScript.js file. David didn't use the scene editor to place his objects at all, and nothing is done using Unity's GUI. He's obviously very capable with Unity :lol: because I can't figure out jack-shit about how to get the scripts to load my pre-fab.
NOTHING_EXISTS.png
Look at the Level game object instance in the scene, not the Level Script asset
Ok, I'll check that out now. I've started up a model for a platformer in Unity, just for on-the-side fun, but I've got the torso done, so I'll take a break from modelling. Thanks.
EDIT: Also, thanks again Anton! I'm wondering how to go about a night scene. Not sure, if I ever get to this point, how to do the levels. Make it progress in waves and just have it cycle day and night, or maybe do levels and missions. If I ever did the infantry mode, I'd do missions. have the player fight in an army. That'd be pretty cool, and a good challenge too.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:27 pm

Korban3 wrote:EDIT: Also, thanks again Anton! I'm wondering how to go about a night scene. Not sure, if I ever get to this point, how to do the levels. Make it progress in waves and just have it cycle day and night, or maybe do levels and missions. If I ever did the infantry mode, I'd do missions. have the player fight in an army. That'd be pretty cool, and a good challenge too.
I don't think we ever planned to do a night version... the name was pretty arbitrary to be honest. David was planning on using that music whenever the enemy train was coming after you, since it's a little more intense, or something like that... so that might be something pretty easy to figure out for you...

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Ok, yeah. I'll look into it. I've just gotten the buggy to start chasing the player, so I'll work on his turret weapon and then engine noises. He has a couple of bugs, but it isn't game breaking at all.

Akien

Post by Akien » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:32 am

Hi, Korban3, please have a look at my comment here about joining our forces to continue the development of TBE: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14635&p=154181#p154181

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:26 pm

It feels like it would be hard to do a single project with different directions going. I think wingedwolf123 is going in a more arcade-like direction, where as I wanted get it going in a more mission driven direction and add some upgrading. I'm not even sure I will take this project to any sort of finished result. It's mostly a fun thing to give me a reason to learn Unity, and although I'd hope I don't leave it as a quickie, it's pretty likely.
Maybe, if I stick with the project for a while, then a big, united project would be great, but I probably won't have the time for a long term project like this.