A New Campaign!

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:49 pm

Oh man. I completely forgot about that house! I was all like ninja style! Onto the railing and through the window, Booyah!

Maybe they weren't trees (they reminded me of Levbot's 'pushpins' map), but they looked like dryed up wood blown down after a battle (it was the map where the three of them meet for the last time I think. Bunch of dead bodies and it starts by giving you a ton of kill points. I think they were things like 'heavy impact' and 'instant kill').

Level 3 also gave me troubles at first. Only until I went through the campaign again, did I realize that there was a below route to take. Before, I would go up, kill the bunny who's by himself, go forward and jump onto the skewed box platform, and from there I would jump onto the high railway and kill those guys. Later I realized I had to backtrack to kill the wolf and the two rabbits. Was the jump you had trouble on, just that part or was it somewhere else?

And you bet I beat that campaign when I posted that. I couldn't believe some one had actually made an expansion set campaign, so I tried it out as soon as I saw it (fortunately I logged on just a little over an hour of its release).
One of the greatest things that these maps had was absolutley no lag. This game was optimaized so well, it had perfect distance cut outs and all the structures had been well placed to create absolutly no frame catch up (for instance, "traps" was impossible for me to play through. Temple had none of these areas). The level's view distance was set perfectly for both framerate and setting. It had awesome fog for the forest levels, and clear skies for the open deserts.
I believe Silb just toggled off the 'skybox' and then set the 'fadestart' really low for the Icecave level (that was really intuative and great use of resources).
I give this campaign a perfect ten out of ten! :D

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:09 pm

OK whatever, this is really unimportant but I'm pretty curiouse about Level 3. Not sure if you can actually see anything from this view, but which point did you get stuck on? The red line is the alternate route I took the second time around this map.
BTW: the first time I played through the campaign was on easy mode, I played it through again on normal, maybe when I get better I'll be able to go through it on insane.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:15 pm

I don't know how to do a map edit view, and didn't feel like asking Jeff. There is a picture of me jumping off the edge labeled with my route and what was hard about it. I now know the good routes that you show, mainly the red one.
edit: changed picture host
Last edited by Eric on Mon May 01, 2006 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

End Of Ze World

Post by End Of Ze World » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:21 pm

Now I may be a complete idiot, but I can't seem to get the temple to work, it downloaded fine, but when I open the file, it just gives me text and pictures. :) thanks

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:44 pm

There is a readme file in the "Sven Campaign" folder you unzip. within that is directions. Also the "what to backup file will help you. Make sure to backup first.

HFor clarity I decided to make some step by step directions. They are as simple as I think they need to/can be.

To Start up Lugaru Temple:
1) Create /Backupcampaign within your Lugaru folder (the folder name doesn't really matter)
2) Backup /Data/Campaigns/main.txt to /Backupcampaign
3) Backup /Data/Textures/World.png to /Backupcampaign
4) Backup /Data/Textures/Lugaru.png to /Backupcampaign
5) Copy the contents of the "This goes into Campaigns" folder to /Data/Campaigns/
6) Copy the contents of the "This goes into Maps" folder to /Data/Maps/
7) Copy the contents of the "This goes into Textures" folder to /Data/Textures/
8) Enjoy "Lugaru: Temple"

To switch between "Lugaru: The Rabbit's Foot" and "Lugaru: Temple":
1) switch /Data/Campaigns/main.txt and /Backupcampaign/main.txt
2) switch /Data/Textures/World.png and /Backupcampaign/World.png
3) switch /Data/Textures/Lugaru.png and /Backupcampaign/Lugaru.png
4) Enjoy your new campaign selection

Edit:Damn graphical smileys accidently appearing. Although that one came up in an okay place.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:22 pm

Oh that's what got you?
That part is impossible to climb up. And I think the only way is to jump from the front part of it. However I don't think there's even a need for that jump. The crate next to it was just as an easy climb, even easier than that one I think.

@End Of Ze World: Oh and make sure you have registered the game first, no mods will work without doing that. Other than that it should be a fairly simple process, Silb had a much more easier setup. You didn't have to type in all the console stuff for each map, and the skins are already made into the game.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:21 am

Ok, a few things: Your campaign ROCKS!!!
I quite like the way you snuck in yourself into the campaign :wink:
I used a walljump to get onto the ramp in Giant Ruins: Top
That sleeping wolf in the canyon must be deaf, I was making quite a lot of noise fighting his friend, and if that wasn't enough, he still didn't wake up when that friend made a bit of a dent in the wall :lol:, then I think I remember him hitting the wall too :wink:
Umm, what else was I going to say?

Well, I hope that helps you get an idea of how I feel about it :D

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:38 am

Still confused about where the hard jump is...
and i'm too tired to comment on it, so I will forget it instead.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:00 am

I think I see what you're talking about on that level, but I just did a walljump and it worked fine.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:30 am

bob wrote:I just finished it as well (with Jeff watching over my shoulder telling me how much I suck at Lugaru)
>_> left of bob's post, "Location" = "Jeff's bed".
:|

Ahem. I can't put anything below the "ice" in the cave because it's considered opaque. It's just that you're walking on top of a giant wall, so far from its center that the engine thinks it's a distant object and fades it.

Can someone post a pic/explain what's wrong with Shan's texture? In what level? I don't have that problem.
Jeff wrote:If you decide to make another campaign, you should try changing the heightmap.
Damn, I completely overlooked that file.
Fournine wrote:I encourage more independent campaigns.
Seconded. Since some people look like they might do it, I'm going to write some "how to" that should save a lot of trouble. Btw, I've just checked the DebugReadme and I'm under the impression that the following vital feature is actually undocumented:

*prepares to hear a furious "WHAT?"*

You can delete (hence, modify) any object in a map by standing next to it and hitting control+delete.

(There are a couple minor twists I'll explain in the "how to" but it, like, totally works.)

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:37 am

Since somebody finally commented on my locaton I will explain. I live in the room which Jeff lived in last year, actually the same bed. So ....
Now I understand the cave issue, and why you really can only see the objects your are standing on or very near to.
I'll work on a Pic of Shan when when I get a chance today, I'm only home for a little bit; loads of class.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:17 am

Silb wrote: Seconded. Since some people look like they might do it, I'm going to write some "how to" that should save a lot of trouble. Btw, I've just checked the DebugReadme and I'm under the impression that the following vital feature is actually undocumented:

*prepares to hear a furious "WHAT?"*

You can delete (hence, modify) any object in a map by standing next to it and hitting control+delete.
... You serious? I stopped mapping because you couldn't delete objects except in stack order... daaaaavid why didn't you say anything :?

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:47 pm

Jebus... and I used to be so good at working with stack-order maps.
Well, this'll make mapmaking easier.

Is there a way to undo a deletion? In case you mis-delete something.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:02 pm

Dunno about this.

I tried to post details on the wiki but I got this:
Wiki wrote:A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:
(SQL query hidden)
from within function "Article::insertNewArticle". MySQL returned error "1048: Column 'cur_id' cannot be null (192.168.2.6)".
Same kind of thing if I try to edit anything or create an account.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:09 pm

I am looking into that error. The wiki should still be editable, but the error will show up for some reason.