Black Shades Modding

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Count Roland

Re: Black Shades Modding

Post by Count Roland » Fri May 18, 2012 5:51 am

doesn't blackshades use the same model type as lugaru does? So technically you could use rudel ic's conversion tool?

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Fri May 18, 2012 10:22 am

Count Roland wrote:doesn't blackshades use the same model type as lugaru does? So technically you could use rudel ic's conversion tool?
Yes, you're right. I only saw some of rudel's deprecated threads, but thanks to you, I've found this website! Korban, you should have a look.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:53 pm

I thought about that, but I wasn't sure if maybe David changed some things in between Black Shades and Lugaru.
I'll try them out, importing the old models to Blender and try replacing them. Thanks, you two. Much appreciated.

EDIT: Oh deary me, it's return an error in the script that I do not understand. It's when I attempt an import, in 2.58. I tried it in 2.63, just for shits n giggles, and it returns the same error, seen below.
blender_solid_import_error.png
Last edited by Korban3 on Fri May 18, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dequire

Post by Dequire » Fri May 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Mmboy. Not sure if I did something wrong or not.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:19 pm

Haha, I think we both did. I don't know enough about the .solid format to be able to fix this. Any users see something blatantly derptastic about the errors? Or is it something subtle that I would never see?

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri May 18, 2012 8:39 pm

no problemo, only reason I had any idea was because I tried switching model types between games a few years back, without the skeletons from soul of steal, you end up being kind of a horrifying slug monster in lugaru using the SoS models.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:59 pm

Haha, that is humorously creepy.

Dequire

Post by Dequire » Thu May 24, 2012 3:17 am

Bump.

So, any news, updates, ideas? I've got no clue about coding, so that's up to you entirely, I'm afraid, unless someone else has something to contribute.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:39 pm

I have no idea how to work with the source code. At all.
I'm also not familiar enough with David's code or Python to fix the i/o scripts. I was hoping I could at least glean some information from it all, but it's apparently farther above me than I thought.

Dequire

Post by Dequire » Tue May 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Korban3 wrote:I have no idea how to work with the source code. At all.
I'm also not familiar enough with David's code or Python to fix the i/o scripts. I was hoping I could at least glean some information from it all, but it's apparently farther above me than I thought.
Hm.. So no good news then.

Perhaps I could hit David up and ask him if he ever left any "instructions" laying about with Black Shade's source code? Surely he at least left a few notes about his own coding sitting somewhere.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:22 pm

Maybe. Worth a shot.

Dequire

Post by Dequire » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:01 pm

I spoke with David again on the IRC and he gave me several links. To save some time, here's the entire chatlog, including some information he gave me as well. Hope this helps, Korban.

Edit: look to bottom for all the useful quotes.

19:39 Dequire Afternoon, David. Remember me from before, about the Black Shades modding?
19:43 david sure, what's up?
19:43 Dequire I hate to bother you again, but I was wondering if you had left anything laying around about the Black Shade's source code. Korban3 is working with the scripting, but we haven't made any progress due to a lack of knowledge of the source code.
19:44 Dequire We're trying to set up an import/export script for it.
19:45 Dequire I'm doing the modeling, but, I can't do much. I use Blender, and sadly there doesn't seem to be anything Black Shades related around that can help much. Anything regarding the source code would sincerely help.
19:46 david The source code should all be here in the svn: http://www.icculus.org/blackshades/
19:46 david http://svn.icculus.org/blackshades/trunk/
19:46 Dequire The source code itself we have. We just don't understand it. Is there anything laying around that could help us get a handle on it?
19:47 david hmm
19:47 david I don't think so
19:47 david the part you care about is probably Model::load for the model format right?
19:49 Dequire That would be a great start, yes. I'm trying to get a hold of an import/export for the .solid format for Python. There was one laying around for Lugaru, but it didn't seem to work out correctly.
19:50 david well here is the Model.cpp : http://svn.icculus.org/blackshades/trun ... iew=markup
19:51 david it has the Model::load function
19:52 david basically it reads the number of vertices (2 bytes), number of triangles (2 bytes), then the vertices (3 floats of 4 bytes each), and then the triangles
19:53 david http://svn.icculus.org/blackshades/trun ... iew=markup
19:53 david the details of the data types are in that one
19:54 david so each triangle starts with 3 vertex indices(2 bytes each), 1 byte of padding, then the red/green/blue color (3 floats of 4 bytes each)
19:55 david not sure if that is helpful at all
19:55 Dequire Personally, I know next to shit about coding. I'm leaving that up to Korben, despite how unfair it seems on my part. If I could I'd be trying to help. If you don't mind, I'd like to copy/paste this to the forums topic for all the links/information.
19:55 david sure, sounds good
19:56 Dequire Thanks. I appreciate it.
19:56 Dequire Hopefully I won't have to bother you again.

http://svn.icculus.org/blackshades/trunk/ (Source)
http://svn.icculus.org/blackshades/trun ... iew=markup (Model.ccp/Model::load function))

basically it reads the number of vertices (2 bytes), number of triangles (2 bytes), then the vertices (3 floats of 4 bytes each), and then the triangles

so each triangle starts with 3 vertex indices(2 bytes each), 1 byte of padding, then the red/green/blue color (3 floats of 4 bytes each)

http://svn.icculus.org/blackshades/trun ... iew=markup (Datatype Details)
Last edited by Dequire on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:11 pm

Mmkay, I'll give those a read-through later tonight. I'm going to be busy the next few hours, but should have time after.

Dequire

Post by Dequire » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:59 pm

Bump.

Any news, progress, ideas? Or should we just give up on this now?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:39 am

Mm, nope. No new ides on it.
We might just have to, as my personal, often over-ambitious undertakings go, give up.
Someday, I swear I'll actually finish something...