Improvements for the game.

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Flipcye

Improvements for the game.

Post by Flipcye » Mon May 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Dear Wolfire,

my name is Kyle McFarlane and I am writing to you to hopefully improve your games dramatically.

Firstly I strongly believe you should add an online mode. This is because it can allow online players to bond and express the game further, I have shown friends and family about your amazing games and they were really impressed but then asked "is it online?" Sadly, I said "no" and they were very shocked and upset. As all workers in the gaming industry the aim is to make the customers (players) happy and to earn money, If you add an online mode you can easily gain more money than you would now and make a lot more players satisfied. Also if you disagree with me saying you will make more money, if you add a online shop where players can buy armour, weapons etc. That can then expand and prove my point.

Thank you for reading and I hope you understand and would add this mode. Kyle McFarlane.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Re: Improvements for the game.

Post by Jaz » Mon May 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Usually preorderers' opinions are more important to the devs. Just saying...

Anyway, Online is technically difficult for the developers. The AI in OG is very complex and it would take quite some work to sync the AI online.

Also, an Online shop is out of the question as far as I know. I think the devs are against that sort of stuff because it exploits customers.

akazi

Post by akazi » Mon May 21, 2012 4:05 pm

They are thinking of adding a co-op mode in the future, but that's not going to be for a while sadly. :cry:

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Monetization is not what my first guess is for David's plans. The multiplayer ideas has been hashed out and torn up and discussed over and over and over and over and over again.
I'll be the guy that respectfully asks a mod to lock the thread now, before it gets ridiculous.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 pm

There's no reason to lock this until, and if, this gets ridiculous...

I do disagree with the OP though. Online shop stuff is very different from game stuff. Balancing, security, pricing, in-game currency, free alternatives, what would preorderers get... it'd take time, which costs money, while not making the game any more ready.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon May 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Plus, that whole model of buying weapons and armor doesn't fit the game at all. If this was supposed to be an MMO, sure, but the game would be pointless if you could beat all the levels by spending tons of money on armor and weapons.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am

This is the unoficial explanation of the no multiplayer (for now) statement written by Johannes, I suggest you give it a read:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11Px ... Jgs-E/edit

Blog post about the technical side of multiplayer (just reading it takes a long time.)
http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/03/GDC-Ses ... networking

Hibbe

Post by Hibbe » Tue May 22, 2012 9:44 am

I doubt there will ever be purchasable items since overgrowth is so very mod friendly.

I could see dev maps DLC costing a buck or so.

But that would be far in to the future or never.

Wolfire isn't actvision or EA, thats hard to remember when they make such awesome games, but still they are not and don't have to pay 300-400 employees each month.

Also, the wolfire team are gamers aswell and do gamers really want to pay money to progress in a game? No!

Flipcye

Post by Flipcye » Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 am

This is very sad because if this game had the features I said, and you compare it with a huge and successful game like "Fallen Earth" this game would be far better and because of that, the population of players would rapidly increase.

I believe this game could be a huge success if it had an online mode (similar to Fallen Earth) but sinse this cannot happen I am really disappointed :cry:

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm

Flipcye wrote:This is very sad because if this game had the features I said, and you compare it with a huge and successful game like "Fallen Earth" this game would be far better and because of that, the population of players would rapidly increase.

I believe this game could be a huge success if it had an online mode (similar to Fallen Earth) but sinse this cannot happen I am really disappointed :cry:
It's possible, just not very likely.

And the devs aren't trying to compare themselves to massive AAA games. Overgrowth only has 2 developers, remember. Fallen Earth probably has at least 50.

Flipcye

Post by Flipcye » Wed May 23, 2012 10:09 am

yeah hopefully :cry:

Code

Post by Code » Fri May 25, 2012 7:43 pm

This was the closest relevant forum that I could find.

I was just listening to the interview on overgrowth weekly about the 'motivation' meter. I'm in the military and David nailed it, you really don't want to just attack as soon as you see something, we actually have a set of procedures to deal with such a situation eventually leading up to use of force. I think that this would be a good way to see how motivated the guys you are around are to fight you, if there are a series of animations that they perform to signal different things, ie growling at you if you come too close, making aggressive gestures, drawing weapons, calling other guys etc until you really piss them off and they start to attack you.

Just a little idea based on some realism to help give some inspiration and ideas for that little issue.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri May 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Oh yeah, I really liked that bit when he brought it up. Seems like a good way to deepen immersion, and make the AI more than mindless killing machines.

...though that would be cool in its own way.

Code

Post by Code » Fri May 25, 2012 9:19 pm

I really liked that idea too, and he has a really solid sense of design. A very intelligent individual with a good perspective on what makes a good game. Which is why I wanted to make a suggestion on how this concept could possibly be implemented on more of a deep level where there are interactions with the player rather than a shallow level where their ears are positioned differently but they still have a basic immediate response.

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:57 pm

The blog said some stuff about multiplayer a while back: http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/08/multipl ... r-browser/