Day Z

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Day Z

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue May 22, 2012 10:08 pm

So who's playing Day Z? It's still in Alpha but it's great fun. It's a mod for Arma 2: Combined Operations, and it's absolutely amazing fun. The video above is both awesome and hilarious. Skip to about 2 minutes in for extra lolz.

Some intense moments have been had even though I've only had the game 4/5 days.

High points:

* Sprinting down a road, losing blood and needing to bandage myself ASAP before I run out of blood and die. While doing this, I'm using the Alt key to free look behind myself while I'm still sprinting down the road. Thinking "There's...5...10...15 zombies. I'm fucked..." Realising after sprinting a mile that the next town probably won't come for another mile or two. Eventually realising when I reach the next town that it was actually 5 miles away.

* Crawling prone through a field full of zombies trying not to shit myself while my character very freely and loudly shits himself in-game. Unfortunately I'm spotted and after expending 5 clips of a Makarov with 7-8 zobs piled up, I run out of ammo and I'm forced to peg it. Unfortunately, because one of the zobs broke my leg in the melee (somehow), I had to load myself up with morphine. Because of this, my mechanism apparently got fucked over because I fainted after about 500 yards.

I could write about more of them but damn this game is fun. The mod can be downloaded from the mod's website:

http://www.dayzmod.com/

There's also a handy updater here that sorts out all the updates for you:

http://worrom.com/

Dudeman

Re: Day Z

Post by Dudeman » Wed May 23, 2012 2:03 am

I've been playing for the last week and a half with a few friends.
The best moments in this mod come from the interaction with other players on the server. The variance in how people behave cannot be matched by any single player game. I've encountered everything from your standard bloodthirsty bandit, to people who have gone out of their way to save me (a complete stranger) from certain death. I've killed to save myself, left my friends to die, and on multiple occasions opened fire on another survivor, without knowing their intentions. Better to be safe then sorry, eh?
This is probably the most successful attempt at emergent gameplay I've seen.

Although, I think The Dead Linger may be better when it releases.

Zelron

Post by Zelron » Wed May 23, 2012 2:16 am

Dudeman wrote:on multiple occasions opened fire on another survivor, without knowing their intentions

That's always been a problem in games that allow total freedom in sandbox multiplayer. Some people will kill indescriminetly and it forces people to attack any player that gets near them or just try to run away from them. Thus creating more player that attack out of fear. IMO this kind of ruins the whole idea of sandbox multiplayer when you are too scared to risk interacting with any other player.

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Wed May 23, 2012 2:21 am

Zelron wrote: That's always been a problem in games that allow total freedom in sandbox multiplayer. Some people will kill indescriminetly and it forces people to attack any player that gets near them or just try to run away from them. Thus creating more player that attack out of fear. IMO this kind of ruins the whole idea of sandbox multiplayer when you are too scared to risk interacting with any other player.
While that is a large problem, I think it's actually rather realistic in a situation like this.
If he doesn't tell you otherwise, you can never be sure the other guy isn't trying to murder you.

Besides that, I've managed to group up with complete strangers on multiple occasions. Most people you meet in-game are perfectly happy to travel with a companion, as long as you prove that your intentions are not malicious. The ArmA "Salute" function causes your player to holster their weapon, which makes you seem a damn sight less threatening.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed May 23, 2012 4:27 am

So, how great is this? I don't have ArmA II CO, but I'm thinking about getting it, mainly for this. It looks good from the videos I have seen. Is it annoyingly buggy, or boring for long periods of time?

Tibbz2

Post by Tibbz2 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am

adwuga wrote:So, how great is this? I don't have ArmA II CO, but I'm thinking about getting it, mainly for this. It looks good from the videos I have seen. Is it annoyingly buggy, or boring for long periods of time?
Tbh I love it, I haven't even come across any major bugs since release. It will be annoying when you are killed by some idiotic bandit when you've spent hours with your character, but you will be back for more!

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed May 23, 2012 2:19 pm

That's part of the reason I want this. It makes you more careful. I think I'll buy it.

EDIT: Bought it! I'm downloading now. Any of you on steam?

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed May 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Arnold Schwarzenegger, is that you?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed May 23, 2012 3:54 pm

A friend of mine told me about Day Z, and managed to get me interested.
Haven't got my bootcampable desktop cpu set up yet though, and that might take a while.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu May 24, 2012 7:23 pm

I just spent 2 hours trying to get on a server. It keeps getting stuck on receiving data. The two times I got on, I was kicked almost immediately because client was not responding. I got on earlier on my first try, but I had to go. I think I'm going to try again later, and then give up and create a real zombie apocalypse.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu May 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Takes a while getting the right servers. Make sure to download the latest patches too, it's updated ridiculously regularly.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri May 25, 2012 12:54 am

I think it's just too many people or something. It works fine at night.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:04 pm

I've been wanting this game for a while. Arma 2 looks great and all, but the Day Z mod is everything I've ever wanted in a zombie game. But I'm broke :|