The jumping

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Synapse

The jumping

Post by Synapse » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Overgrowth will center around the rabbits, it is for this reason that I feel the jumping mechanics should be refined. I found a good video to display this point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL5wFJ-d ... re=related

last

Re: The jumping

Post by last » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Don't know if that may be right thing to say (don't think that the developer team haven't confirmed this) but the main character may be the rabbit but there are allot more characters in the game like wolves, cats, dogs and rats maybe more, who knows. Please don't forget that OG is kind of easy game to mod in every character that has 2 legs and arms. So this means that community can put even more animals / humans into the game. Even at this point there are few custom made characters for OG. A fox, and 4 different characters from Oni game- even at this state of the game there is a way to make human characters using the same rig/ animation as the animals are using. The problem why there are so few custom characters is that the ingame rigging tool don't work any more and you have to use Blender to rig your character. Also there is no tutorial out there to show/ describe you how to do this.

So right this stage of the game they are testing out what will work and what isn't. This goes not just go for animations and in game features but also for physics.
I believe David did change knife throwing after he was released it so it would act little more realistic.
But again don't forget the community because this mod that you see in this video is made by a community member not by the developer.

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks for the input, but the jumping mechanics seen in the video seem like they would apply to any character regardless of race. The game will feature quite a bit of parkour and free running so it seems important for them to implement proper physics early on so they can have a better feel for how the final product would work. I'm no game developer but it seems like a good feature to have for test levels and the like.

Rewjeo

Post by Rewjeo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:15 pm

I was actually thinking about this earlier today, although it is nice that you can jump to speed yourself up when you want to travel across a map right now. I was playing multiplayer with my friend, and we had all sorts of antics with jumping at each other trying to use the leg cannon, and while it was fun, it was also slightly annoying.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:37 am

Having played with this mod when it worked, I can tell you that something were better with it, and some things didn't work so well. It made it very difficult to climb certain walls, and travel through current builds. One big issue with it is you cannot jump forward without already moving forward, so it is not the perfect solution either (standing long jump anyone?). I could see some kind of combination between this mod and the current in game physics at some point, and that would be more interesting to me.

Rewjeo

Post by Rewjeo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:41 am

They could make it so that jumping from crouching is a long jump while other jumps depend on your speed going into it.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:22 am

Rewjeo wrote:They could make it so that jumping from crouching is a long jump while other jumps depend on your speed going into it.
That would be interesting, and is similar to Lugaru. You had to crouch to jump higher. It worked then...

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:10 am

Rewjeo wrote:They could make it so that jumping from crouching is a long jump while other jumps depend on your speed going into it.
I actually quite like that idea, because in real life it takes a consiterable amount of effort to leap forward from a standing position.