WingedPuma Games - Makin' Games and Stuff

Anything else
Korban3

Re: Dominance Development

Post by Korban3 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:34 pm

Did up a new concept art I was too lazy to come here and announce at 8 am.
http://korban3.deviantart.com/art/Domin ... -292944944
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7676347/

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Looking really good, Korban!
I wrote a pixel game as a test for a certain framework in AS3 last weekend! It kind of reminds me of dominance for no reason.

Prepare your arrowkeys and spacebar!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69603689/ChuRun.swf

And check out the comic it's from at http://chuntost.tidalcomics.com/
!!!

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks!
Haha, that's oddly addictive. But Y U CAP SPEED? It'd be awesome to go really fast and just jump of 100 cars at a time.
I don't see any connection to Dominance either, but I think that only justifies me keeping this thread in the Randomness forum even more.

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:27 pm

@AAorris Quite simple, but fun, I can see how it can be addicting. =)

@Korban I like your taste for choosing scenes, they always seem to tickle my imagination as to what's the story behind them. ;D

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks buddy :3
I definitely enjoyed forging this scene and the backstory. That poor kid :'( Wait, does this make me sadistic?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Hm, double post for some news.
I've made a big, new blog post.
http://wingedpuma.wordpress.com/2012/05 ... ther-news/

I'm changing this thread from "Dominance Development" to something more appropriate or my game development in general. Mostly because I'm moving on to new programming work, and leaving behind the previous game 'engine'. Keeping the ideas for Dominance in my pocket, maybe to be used someday though.
But, Dominance was too big. I ended up working and learning enough that I've passed what Dominance is. The game, as is, isn't built well enough for me to keep working in it.
So, I'm writing a new engine, plans described in the blog post. Hopefully, I'll build it well enough that I can keep using it and finish the game.
Sorry if Dominance was just really ensnaring your hearts and minds, guys and gals. Maybe I'll go back and revisit it again, someday.

Jacktheawesome

Re: WingedPuma Games - Development

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sat May 19, 2012 12:06 am

Yes, I'm sure you'll finish this one. :3
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sat May 19, 2012 12:36 am

I assume you are writing it in something like C++?

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:02 am

I’m going to be doing some cool physics stuff with nodes and verlet integration and projection based collisions.
like pseudo-IK or secondary animation.
I plan on doing some lighting stuff that I haven’t before. Namely, per-pixel normal mapping and lighting.
bootcamp is just a couple months away
learning C by making video games
Good luck :D!

But yeah, I'll probably also start a game project this summer. It's going to be awesome.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Haha, for some reason I'm getting the strangest sense that you're all being very sarcastic.
The physics stuff isn't actually an issue, since I've already done it another time.
I understand the basics of normal mapping, so I should be able to figure it out with a bunch of elbow grease. That'll still be one of the hardest bits of my current plans, besides actually finishing it. Anyways, it'll be good for me to cry through all that terrifying, new-to-me lighting tech.

And how big an issue is bootcamp, really? I leave for 3 months, get ripped and come back with lots of discipline and muscles. I'll have a lot of recap to do, but maybe I'll put lots of comments in my code so that I can catch up faster. And as long as I don't get a combat deployment right away, I'll still have a little time left for programming while I'm enlisted. Maybe even if I got a deployment and bought a really tough laptop (lulz). Or reinforced a normal one myself, I guess.

Does it say C? That's on my blog isn't it? I always change that to C++, and it just switches back whenever I save the page. Is there a better way to learn C++ game design than by designing games? If there is tell me... Or maybe don't. I like games.

Can't wait to see what you've got planned SteelRaven!

EDIT: Maybe I should be more elaborate about the lighting. 'Per-pixel' is only used to describe the normal mapping. The 'lighting' was me loosely referring to simple local lights that give some color and illumination.
But I wonder how efficiently I could implement normal mapping, at my skill level. I get the idea behind it, but it will require some research into how images are processed from file to texture to sprite in SFML.
I'm more interested in basic lighting though, and maybe even some simple shading effects.

Sorry for the wall of text guys :|

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:07 am

Made a new blog post. ShinyGem would be ashamed of my double posting habits, though.
http://wingedpuma.wordpress.com/2012/06 ... ogress-21/

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Haha, I was doing Dominance as a sort of Overgrowth 2D project. I was basing a lot of my plans for it on OG.
I dunno, you might be. But I doubt it.
Don't worry, the new project doesn't have anthropomorphic animals ;) The dominant species in the game is some reptile-esque, dinosaur alien people.

Thanks.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:14 am

Skomakar'n wrote: Am I the only developer here who doesn't work on games with anthropomorphic non-human animals? :|
http://7dfps.org/?projects=flat
Given the information about the authors in that link, it's either a gigantic coincidence, or there are three other developers here who have made a game about not anthropomorphic animals. Probably a coincidence.

If that was you three, then I like the controls, but I couldn't find any enemies. I did have fun just skating around for a while though. I hope you continue working on it, it could be really cool.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 pm

I believe SteelRaven worked on that one. Not sure who else, though.
I sure didn't. I'm not good enough to do much of anything for 7DFPS.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:54 am

Ok, here's the first playable tech demo of Lurk. Not much yet, but have fun anyways!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/57451500/Lurk/ ... layer.html

Use WASD to move around, and the Mouse to look around.

Known Issues:
The mouse looking is choppy.
The head bugs out when you look behind him, at certain angles.
If you hold A and then swap to D, vice versa, or the same or W and S, movement will stop.

These'll be fixed soon.