Receiver: Wow. I love it!

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
EricLewis

Receiver: Wow. I love it!

Post by EricLewis » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:50 am

I don't know what it is, but this game truly resonated with me...

The procedural levels are perfectly sized- allowing real suspense between the drones. The music brings me back to Mann's Manhunter and Cronenberg movies from the eighties and forces a dystopian, empty feeling inside and weirdly also inspires action and tension.

And the gun mechanics! Oh boy. They are really tough to learn, but once you figure out the key commands, it all clicks it adds a layer to the pacing, style and fun of the game.

Another thing I love? The difficulty. It always feels like - "OK, I can do this. Let's get all of the tapes." But then I get gunned down after tape 5.

I admire the work you all did on this game. It is very very satisfying.

Korban3

Re: Receiver: Wow. I love it!

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:59 am

My feelings exactly. Especially for a 9 day effort, these guys rocked it. They did an amazing job with Receiver and I applaud their epicry.

millha1988

Post by millha1988 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:35 pm

I really liked the weapon feel and functions. Would like to have it inn a slow-paced zombie game. Think of Racoon City from RE2 with that kind of old school zombies. Only thing about Receiver that I cant say I really like is the flying drone. Also some physic items on the levels would be nice. I am soo exited about Receiver. I have wanted a game like this ever since the jurrasic park game where you had only one clip in a gun. And had to use each bullet smart. LOVE IT. Just wish that the challange changes some. The theme I mean.

FlyingShisno

Post by FlyingShisno » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 am

Receiver mechanics in Raccoon City would be incredible. And the drone is the only reason I die. It's practically guaranteed that I'll die if the drone see's me.

EricLewis

Post by EricLewis » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Has anyone ever gotten all the tapes? I don't want a spoiler or anything... just curious to see if it's even possible.

The flying turrets are tough - if I hear them beep, I hit Q to holster my weapon and then tap W like crazy to run out of there. Once I pass a doorway, I wait and shoot them while they try to turn. This only works 1/3 of the time.

Side note- Watch for glowing sinks. I have missed a few bullets/tapes in the tubs and sinks...

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:01 pm

yeah people have gotten them, it's possible just takes a lot of concentration.

Rhythm

Post by Rhythm » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:21 pm

I haven't played it, but the concept seems brilliant from the Youtube videos I've seen. The atmosphere really feels dystopic and surreal.

Teh_Bucket

Post by Teh_Bucket » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Reciever is one of the few great games that genuinely terrifies me.

I just disabled a turret's motor while it was pointing at me. As I ducked behind cover I thought "well, it's been a good life", then tried to finish off the turret. I didn't.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Yeah, I have more panicky "Oh shit" moments (Complete with loud swearing :D), screams, jumps, FMLs and tense moments in 10 minutes of Receiver than in an hour of Dead Space. The game just does an absolutely perfect job of terrifying you. It's not about the horror or anything, it's just the suspense and sheer intensity and risk as you explore.

sandwichpolice

Post by sandwichpolice » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:43 am

I just adored Reciever.

I always disabled gun turrets fairly easily,but then,I hear the beep and rotor of a flying drone. I kissed my life goodbye. I was doing so well!

Also,will they be updating Reciever? Some stuff didn't make it in,and I'd love to see it in-game.

betacombat

Post by betacombat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:55 am

So... is this the final product? Can i expect them to develop/adapt this, or is it just a one off experiment to be appreciated? I would be very interested in modding for this game/engine.

EricLewis

Post by EricLewis » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:10 am

I am still playing it, and have got NINE tapes. That was EXTREMELY HARD - I had to:

1.) learn to change and load magazines on the run
2.) crouch-dodge-run the flying drones
3.) jump into unusual places - around buildings, between doorways (over warehouses :shock: )
4.) pick off HORDES of spawned turrets (sometimes as many as eight in one room).
5.) walk around turrets with no bullets, dodging lights

And every time I figure out a pattern for the bullet drops, they show up elsewhere. Same with enemy spawns - flying turrets will and DO show up in or migrate to ANY type of level.

This game has upgraded my gamer cred almost as much as Gaiden Black, lol. :twisted:

Anyway,
thanks for making a crazy game that is making me crazy...

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:59 am

betacombat wrote:So... is this the final product? Can i expect them to develop/adapt this, or is it just a one off experiment to be appreciated? I would be very interested in modding for this game/engine.
We are planning some updates, but I don't know any schedule for that yet. Overgrowth is still the priority for the dev team.

Teh_Bucket

Post by Teh_Bucket » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:32 am

I'd love new content, but loading lag can be an issue. Forcing a game pause while loading mid game may be the solution.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:41 am

Teh_Bucket wrote:I'd love new content, but loading lag can be an issue. Forcing a game pause while loading mid game may be the solution.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that there are some bug fix/optimization notes in the plans to update. One of them is background loading of new levels, which is where people experience the lag. It's the next room/building loading. That is on the list to fix as well.