Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
leDoOd
What custom title?

Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Post by leDoOd » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:30 pm

The title says it all - post all the ideas you have that could possibly make Lugaru 2 the awesomest game in the history of anything. :D

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:12 pm

Fishing

Some kind of underwater thing you can catch and stuff. It could be something simple like a fishing rod (where you just generate fish every once in a while. Silly yes, it's the only way they do it in those mmorpgs though), or could be something a bit more active like tackle fishing (litterally, the way that Smeagol catches his fish), or using other tools like spear/net fishing.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:58 pm

Race mode

There are start and goal, a countdown, the crowd, a path, different obstacles, some gates to pass through and people race each other by feet via multiplayer. Fighting is allowed. The map editor supports a special racetrack mode to make building racetracks as easy as taking candy from a baby (if your name is not Peter Griffin). There are replays you can even save and convert to .mov format. Winners get trophies that are only viewable in the multiplayer racer profile. There are big events now and then with powerful dedicated servers where people can watch live by joining the server - so there's a difference between guest and racer.
Edit: Trophies are generic, they are represented as something like $MAP_NAME -- $MEDAL where $MEDAL is a nifty medal graphic.
And there are whole championships over a couple of racetracks. The championships have unique names and their own medals. Users can design championships.

Gladiator mode

Basically deathmatch, but in an arena, the gladiators skills are measured somehow and they have to be at an equal level to fight each other. People can spectate by joining - and can immediately join the action if they are at an equal level with the gladiators in the arena.
There are AI opponents (animals or whatever) as well. Very highly-skilled gladiators have uncommon models. The skill of a gladiator can only be viewed in the multiplayer gladiator profile.
Edit: Once you're in the arena, you have to fight to death or leave the server and be punished with a no-join penalty for a period of time like 10 minutes.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:17 pm

I had an idea for dying or getting KO'd in Lugaru 2.

Instead of the generic complete ragdoll upon death as seen in most games nowadays, how about mixing scripted and ragdoll? Like instead of just "kick, collapse into ragdoll" it could be "kick, fall down, struggle for a little, collapse into ragdoll" or "kick, fall down, sit up, commit seppoku, collapse into ragdoll". :D
Basically the just going limp after "death" is declared in the game isn't very realistic in my opinion. Some sort of mix of "pre-death" struggling would add to the realism of the game.
The problem would be scripted animations' clipping issues, repetitiveness, and things like that, but since the animation is going to be physics based for running, the same sort of thing could be used for the pre-death sequences... like instead of going through a wall, Turner could bump off of it or something.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:01 pm

I think that's a good idea. It makes sense, anyhow.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:20 am

Unless you get hit so hard that you just collapse.

An idea.
Being able to make a treehut? XD

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:00 pm

leDoOd wrote:I had an idea for dying or getting KO'd in Lugaru 2.

Instead of the generic complete ragdoll upon death as seen in most games nowadays, how about mixing scripted and ragdoll? Like instead of just "kick, collapse into ragdoll" it could be "kick, fall down, struggle for a little, collapse into ragdoll" or "kick, fall down, sit up, commit seppoku, collapse into ragdoll". :D
Basically the just going limp after "death" is declared in the game isn't very realistic in my opinion. Some sort of mix of "pre-death" struggling would add to the realism of the game.
The problem would be scripted animations' clipping issues, repetitiveness, and things like that, but since the animation is going to be physics based for running, the same sort of thing could be used for the pre-death sequences... like instead of going through a wall, Turner could bump off of it or something.
The new skeletal animation system was designed with this purpose.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:06 pm

Jeff wrote:The new skeletal animation system was designed with this purpose.
Hoo-rah!!!

edit 1: just try and say it and you will know what I am typing there
edit 2: I really should have just said a more typical word, I'm trying to say I like this news.
edit 3: used renegade_turner's idea to make it more clear
edit 4: damnit im done editing this, I stand by edit 2
Last edited by Eric on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:08 pm

Staggering before death? Where do I sign?!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:11 pm

You mean kind of like "HOO-RAH!", like a unanimous shout of approval type of thing?

Not too crazy about the scripted deaths. I know you mentioned it yourself, but that type of thing could lead to it getting extremely repetitive. Also, I like how the deaths are at the moment. I have no problems with them, despite slightly merciless flailing of the poor rabbits' limbs. Jeff mentioned a bone structure, didn't he? I think that will rectify the situation to as much of an extent as is necessary.
Last edited by Renegade_Turner on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:13 pm

bob wrote: Hoorah
If it was "Hooah" before, the whole world knows that one since "Blackhawk Down".

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:17 pm

I didn't mean hooah; I have actually not seen Black Hawk Down in a long time (since it first came out)... good movie if i recall correctly though

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:18 pm

Yes indeed it was, but let's get a few more ideas about the game going.

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:21 pm

Probably already mentioned or implied by the RPG-esque-ish theme, but you should totally be able to buy clothes. Like, armor's probably already a given, but even Lugaru 1 had a fair amount of variety in clothing. You should be able to completely pimp Turner out this time.

Well -- not that you should be able to or that it's necessary or even very important in any way, just that... I sorta... think it would be cool...
kinda

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:55 pm

The pre-death before death death wouldn't get repetitive in my opinion because of constantly changing variables like the terrain's slope and other obstacles in the way like rocks, trees, etc that would change the animations.

Obviously if something is overkill like falling from an extreme height or getting headshotted with a knife or sword, then it would just be ragdoll collapse, but otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to have nothing before dying.