Glabbit

Re: randomness

Post by Glabbit » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:56 am

*gibbers in a corner in the fetal position*
...the discounts. ...the discounts!

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:13 am

So yesterday I decided to give this webcomic my friend recommended, Twokinds, a try. Four hours later I realized I could have been doing something productive, but I'm not sure what I was more upset about- the loss of time or the fact that I'd caught up with the archives and would have to wait for the next page. Good stuff. Our loveable protagonist is suffering a rather drastic case of amnesia and goes on an ADVENTURE, and then shit goes down. Includes swords, catgirls, magic, catgirls, dragons, catgirls, boobs, and catgirls. Generally more upbeat than dramatic, although there are some dark moments in there. Definitely a more "mature" comic insofar as violence and romance go, so fair warning about that. Even though the comic is ~9 years old, the art style stays fairly consistent- it looks pretty nice right off the bat. Still improves over time, naturally.

Enough talking, here's page 1. A little slow to start, might want to read at least 2 chapters before deciding whether you like it or not.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:42 am

*clicks link*

So... one of the main characters is an 11-year-old catgirl who takes off all her clothes every few minutes, routinely pounces on the protagonist, suggests that he tie her up naked so she can be disguised as his slave, then drags him to a bathhouse so she can compare her breasts to some other women.

Uh huh.

There's a fine line between silly, fun fanservice and mildly creepy.
Last edited by Zhukov on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:49 am

I wasn't too impressed either. I didn't even get as far as that tie-up suggestion you mentioned.
What puzzles me is why she even has that shirt at all. You'd think she's having hot flushes or something.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:10 am

11 in human years, but going by kittie's lifespans, more like 40(?) Not sure if you'd gotten to the part where it explains they only live about 20 years on average. I didn't find any of it "creepy," per se. The bathhouse scene was amusing, maybe a bit awkward. The "slave" thing made enough sense to not really give it a second thought. Maybe you're reading into it too much? I found her half-naked pouncing pretty silly the entire time, to the point where I rolled my eyes every so often. Wish that it happened less often than once every ten pages, but tolerable.

I've been hearing a lot of mixed reactions on this. Most people who've read it through think a good chunk of it, first ~150 pages maybe, are boring and poorly paced (to which I agree) but that it gets gradually better and more exciting if you can suffer through the poor beginning. Keep in mind that this is over 8 years old, and like many comics, it naturally improves over time.

EDIT: I'll also add that despite the fact the beginning of the comic is more about silly fanservice, I swear, I read it for the plot. I find it actually decently interesting later on and I like the magic system in the comic's universe. There's also a good deal of ACTION as the comic progresses.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:33 am

Eh, chill.

I'm just being, er, well... me.

It's kinda icky when I think about it, but it's essentially harmless stuff and, considering the kind of things that have graced my web browser, I'm not about to judge anyone.

But there's no denying that it's basically non-explicit furry sex fanservice.

Also, the artist needs to learn how to use more dynamic and expressive poses. Too static.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:44 am

But there's no denying that it's basically non-explicit furry sex fanservice.
I will agree with this. Too many furry breasts and innuendos.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Yes.
I'll also agree with the staticness of it all. Basically that's what pushed me away most: How dull and unsurprising each individual panel was. I like the implication of the plot Mr. Unknown gives in the first bit, but the visual execution of it all seems, whilst cute, just plain boring.

And admittedly by 'it all' I mean the small part that I read, which I am fully prepared to admit is likely not enough to give a fair judging. But basically it didn't enthrall me to read more, and that's quite a failing to start with in a comic.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Oh, I quite agree, Glabbit. If the beginning fails to entice you to read more, it's a huge failing. I usually put up with crappy beginnings, especially with webcomics where it's often amateurs attempting their first serious stories, and doubly so if I've heard good recommendations from friends about said comic (which was the case with Twokinds) If I hadn't put up with the crappy beginnings, I wouldn't have ended up liking Least I Could Do, Questionable Content, or Bittersweet Candy Bowl- and Twokinds as well, obviously. The only time I've been disappointed after putting up with a shoddy start is with Homestuck. Three "acts" and a few hours of my life later, still have yet to understand why the cult following around that comic treats it like the second coming of Christ.

Now for something completely different: Skrillex sans "BASS DROP" and generic "WUBWUB" is not a bad listen.

Last edited by Ragdollmaster on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Jeez. That's only about 100 times better. Why do they have to cake these perfectly good pieces they've come up with in ten layers of shit?

Rewjeo

Post by Rewjeo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Well, I could probably go on a gigantic rant about how modern "art" (generally speaking) isn't about being artistic anymore but rather things like propaganda and effective marketing that mask actual artistry, but I won't. That said, there's some good stuff shining through and it seems like music is moving away from this super digital stuff.

In other news, I really should start doing some piano. I was going to teach some to myself this summer, along with some guitar, but it didn't happen for some reason.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:38 pm

I wouldn't say digital is all bad. I don't often like it when it's way over the top in a piece. It's kind of like Gears of War, for me. It's fun at times, but it can also get a little too over the top for me.
I guess for my music I don't like to fall into any set genre. I just write and put together what sounds good. Like, if I'm writing a piece that has some crystally sort of bells, they're likely a synth. But I might use them with some cello for chording or a piano for some light runs and or whatever.
I mean, for me, it's not about the genre. It's about the actual music and what tells the story best.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Day Z is a glitchy mess plagued by hackers and design issues.

And I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Also, one glitch/hack/God-knows-what resulted in endless light machine guns and ammunition spawning in my inventory. I spent about half an hour traveling across the countryside shedding munitions like some kind of militant easter bunny.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Haha, awesome.
I've been wanting to get Arma 2 just for Day Z. Seems really awesome.

zoidberg rules

Re:

Post by zoidberg rules » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:15 pm

Zhukov wrote:some kind of militant easter bunny.
That right there. Made my day.