randomness

Anything else
Ragdollmaster

Re: randomness

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:39 pm

I wish I could afford ArmA II Combined Operations D: Apparently, the free version of ArmA II + the Operation Arrowhead expansion work fine, too, but neither CO nor OA were on sale enough for me to convince somebody to gift them ;___;

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 pm

I got the necessary games plus some DLC for higher detail model during the recent Steam sale. Cost me about $20 USD.

One of the cool things about the game is that it has a chat channel based on in-game physical distance. This means you can use a mic to talk to anyone so long as you are close to them (within about 40m). Also, PvP and friendly fire are always on, meaning anyone can kill anybody at any time, friend or foe, accident or intentional. Lastly, dying causes you to lose all your hard-won items and respawn at a random location on the coast, so people tend to be very cautious. Combined, it all leads to some pretty nifty "organic" moments.

For example:

Today, I come across an airfield. They're dangerous places because you can find military-grade items in them. This tends to draw a lot of people in search of the loot. This in turn draws more people who want to kill the other people, either to take their stuff or just for the sake of being a dick. It's generally accepted that when near an airfield or other military site you should either avoid other people or kill them on sight.

After a perfunctory bit of scouting around the perimeter I manage to get in without any trouble. Two dead zombies and a few minutes of looting later I'm headed back out clutching a brand new AK47, a stack of ammo for it, a ghillie suit and a precious pair of binoculars. I'm nearly at relative safety of the treeline when...

"Attention, guy running through the open field like an idiot..."
Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit!
"... do not move. I have you in my sights."
"Whoa, whoa. Friendly! Friendly! Not looking for trouble."
I lower my weapon and slowly look around (the game allows you to turn your head/camera without changing your direction of aim or movement). Sure enough, there's a dude with a rifle sitting behind a bush.
"Yeah, that's what the last guy said before he tried to kill me with a crowbar."
"Hey, hey, chill. As a, uhh... gesture of friendliness, there's an M4 assault rifle and three mags at the back of the first hanger behind me. I couldn't carry 'em."
"Yeah... yeah, okay. Thanks for the info."
"So can I go?"
"Yeah."
"Oh hey, you need any food or water? I got tons to spare."
"Nah, I'm good. You need any medical supplies?
"Nah, I looted a hospital a while back."
"Alright, good luck then."
"Yeah, you too."

And thus we parted ways. However, I was feeling a bit put out by the whole affair. It was stupid of me not to look around properly before legging it across the fields and I'd only survived because he happened to be a one-in-a-million nice guy who didn't fire on sight. So, in a misguided attempt to restore a little of my dignity, I decided to pay him back for scaring the shit out of me. As soon as he was around the perimeter wall and out of sight I turned and lobbed a smoke grenade over onto his side of the wall.
"Hey, what's the... did you... oh, son of a bitch!"
Immediately, every zombie in the area (about 30 of them) start sprinting toward the smoke. I run for the treeline to the sound of frantic pistol fire. A short time later there was gunfire from an automatic weapon. A few minutes later he comes back out with the M4. I snap off a salute and run for it, making it over the hill before he opens fire.

And that was my day in Day Z.

Okay, that turned out waaaaaay longer than I intended.

Rewjeo

Post by Rewjeo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:51 pm

I'm generally not a fan of that kind of game, but that sounds pretty awesome. Shame I missed the sale. Well, my internet doesn't work for gaming anyways :/ It sucks.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:50 am

Haha, that's pretty sweet. I love the cool moments that occur when the people playing it are actually cool about it.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:13 am

Zhukov, that is amazing. Excellent.
Do
tell us about more notable instances when they come up.

Dayum, Day Z sounds like the rare type of shooter that I can actually enjoy.
I need to find out what I actually need to play it...

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:37 am

Glabbit wrote:Zhukov, that is amazing. Excellent.
Do
tell us about more notable instances when they come up.
Oh, I can tell you that.

You need the game Arma II and the standalone expansion Arma II: Operation Arrowhead. The easiest way to get them is by buying this package from Steam. It comes with both of them and currently costs about $30 USD.

As an optional extra, if you want better looking character models you can also get the Private Military Company DLC, also available here on Steam for $10 USD.

The actual Day Z mod is free. You can get it here (download link at the top left). I've heard that manual installation of the mod can be a bit of a pain. I recommend using the Six Updater method linked on that page. It's a neat little application that works as installer, updater and server browser for Arma II mods.

Assaultman67

Re:

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 am

I also have been playing DayZ.
Zhukov wrote:"Hey, what's the... did you... oh, son of a bitch!"
I've had people do similar shit to me. :/

I was unarmed, searched probably 10 different buildings and ran into some guy at night in town who was laying flares everywhere.

I called out to him and was like "Hey, guy, I am unarmed. I'm just looking for a weapon and then plan to get out of town. Please don't shoot me."

So the guy shot me, stole my beans, and left me bleeding out on the ground with a road flare by me. I got ate by zombies.

This makes me more likely to shoot on site.

The friend I play with is too confrontational though. He will kill all players other than me on site and will actively hunt other players even when they clearly have the upper hand. We spend 30 to 45 minutes just getting everyone together so he can come up with a stupid ass idea to attack another group of people who are looking for people to kill.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:23 am

Assaultman67 wrote:So the guy shot me, stole my beans,
I stopped reading and burst out laughing at this point. Sorry :lol:

We should clearly have a Wolfire DayZ group to ensure higher survival rates!

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Personally, I've been dying to find a flyable helicopter.

I don't even want to kill people with it. I just want to fly low over cities blaring flight of the valkyries over the mic.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:05 pm

This is an official video from PBS.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:17 pm

THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER MADE. WHERE'S MY YOUTUBE DOWNLOADER

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Just from seeing ARMA II gameplay and Day-Z gameplay, it is my main reason for speeding up my plans to get a gaming pc on the go.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:36 pm

YAY MELODYSHEEP!

If you like that, be sure to take a look at Symphony of Science!

My personal favourite is the first one I ever saw:
The Poetry of Reality

And yes, I will get Day Z one day. But first on my list is Rune, which is the best game of my childhood. I'd like to say of ever, but the future's not finished yet.
Also I'm kinda broke right now :c

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Ooh, Rune looks good too.
After bootcamp, I will have to save up for a good gaming PC. Mostly for OG and ARMA II/Day Z, but if it lets me do 3D sculpting well, then bonus points are got.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:51 am

Assaultman67 wrote:So the guy shot me, stole my beans, and left me bleeding out on the ground with a road flare by me. I got ate by zombies.

This makes me more likely to shoot on site.

The friend I play with is too confrontational though. He will kill all players other than me on site and will actively hunt other players even when they clearly have the upper hand. We spend 30 to 45 minutes just getting everyone together so he can come up with a stupid ass idea to attack another group of people who are looking for people to kill.
My policy is to never trust anyone with a weapon.

If they're unarmed then I'll help them out, give them tips, rescue them if need be, give them supplies (but not weapons) and point them in the direction of some decent loot.

However, if they have a weapon then it's a whole different story. I'll completely avoid them if possible. Obviously anyone who sees me and fires on me gets a face full of return fire (so far only one person. I killed them but then got shot by someone else, possibly their friend). If I think I'm outmatched and/or outnumberd then they get the smoke grenade treatment while I retreat. If they're acting suspicious but not outright hostile then they also get the smoke grenade.

If an armed person gets the drop on me (twice so far) and doesn't shoot me then I be friendly (has ended peacefully both times).

Assaultman67 wrote:Personally, I've been dying to find a flyable helicopter.

I don't even want to kill people with it. I just want to fly low over cities blaring flight of the valkyries over the mic.
I haven't seen any helicopters yet, either functional or otherwise. I did see someone driving a bus once. I stayed right the hell away.

Also, one time I saw someone flying an A-10. (It's a kind of warplane designed for ground attack.) I'm pretty sure he was a hacker though, since as far as I'm aware those planes shouldn't be in the game. Later on I found the plane (or at least, I presume it was the same plane) abandoned on a road. It was out of fuel.
Last edited by Zhukov on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.