Port Overgrowth and/or Receiver to OUYA

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Rhythm

Port Overgrowth and/or Receiver to OUYA

Post by Rhythm » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Some of you have probably heard of the Ouya console: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouy ... e-console/

For those who haven't it's an open source, open hardware console with a built in Dev-kit. It's got tons of backers as well as big-name supporters, and I thought that this might be the perfect opportunity for Wolfire and the community.

I'd love to see Overgrowth and/or Receiver ported to the console, so consider this my suggestion thread to the Wolfire team ^_^

Korban3

Re: Port Overgrowth and/or Receiver to OUYA

Post by Korban3 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:16 pm

I like the sound of this new console, but I'm skeptical. I hope it turns out to be what they're saying though, as that'd be awesome.

Akraxial

Post by Akraxial » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:43 am

Yes, I just ordered one. I really think it would be a great GREAT idea for them to try to port it.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:02 am

This would mean porting the game to android, which is something the development team has never done before, which means it would be very time consuming. Also, according to Edmund McMillen, the OUYA isn't capable of running the current version of Super Meat Boy, and it would have to be completely rewritten to work properly on the console. If it can't run Super Meat Boy, it won't be able to run the current version of Overgrowth either.

Furthermore, Overgrowth uses middleware such as Awesomium for the menus. I doubt these will ever see the light of day on a console, which requires a complete UI overhaul for the game.

So I doubt we'll see it on OUYA.

EDIT: Oh, and all OUYA games have to be F2P haven't they? That doesn't make sense for a game like Overgrowth.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:15 am

actually, as I understand it, they allow the developer to set the price, by free they do not mean no moneys required. receiver could be ported easily enough though what with being on unity and all.

greeniekin

Post by greeniekin » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:20 am

SteelRaven7 wrote: the OUYA isn't capable of running the current version of Super Meat Boy
I am not sure if you misunderstood what he meant. It sounds misleading. The hardware is completely capable of running meatboy. The problem is they're code is not set up to build for the android operating system. Depending on there set up it could be reasonably quick or incredibly painful depending on the level of abstraction and libries they use.

Here is a game running on android. Tegra3 is what ouya will use. This game uses it but does not take full advantage of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpzkCTe76Bc

The problem is there are a few tegra3's out there. With one releasing this year with great specs and they do not specify.
this one would be awesome

Infact there is one to be released this year called "tegra 3+" or codename "wayne".
It's processor which has a clock rate of 1.8 GHz (technically the cpu is capable of 2.5 GHz) with quad core + a lowpower single core cpu.
Improved 24 (for the quad-core) and 32 to 64 (for the octa-core) GPU cores with support for Directx 11+, OpenGL 4.X, and PhysX.
If it was this then it would beat current gen of xbox 360 and wii.

having opengl would make the port easier on overgrowth as it is what they use.

Otherwise only opengles will be available. Plus less processing power for both gpu and cpu.

Overgrowth would rock on a tv with controllers(I know you can drag a pc out and buy controllers, but this is simpler)

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:03 am

SteelRaven7 wrote:and it would have to be completely rewritten to work properly on the console.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I said. I caught that quote from McMillen's livestream, and it wasn't very clear if he meant optimization-wise or compatibility-wise. I assumed he meant optimization-wise though, and just did some generalization: Overgrowth is loads more resource heavy than SMB.

That said, SMB would run on a super nintendo if the developers felt like it, but that's not the point. It's rather that both SMB and Overgrowth would have to be pretty much redone from scratch in order to run on another console, and I doubt either developers would find that feasible.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:09 pm

The other possibility is now OnLive is planning to support the Ouya (which I think is about the best thing for the Ouya possible). This will mean that anything you can run using OnLive, you'll be able to run an Ouya, and that will include a ton of AAA games, and other games, without needing to do any extra porting. Potentially it could run any game at that point, (with a small minimal lag... )

funymunky

Post by funymunky » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Anton wrote:(with a small minimal lag... )
In my experience, there's more than a small minimal lag when using OnLive. And when playing a game like Overgrowth, I think any lag would make it very hard to play.

roboman2444

Post by roboman2444 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:07 am

Receiver would work well. Unity can "export" to android. The simple looking graphics and would run on the console, and could be optimized if needed. Receiver also doesn't use much disk space.