I maekd uh art do u guise liek et?

Anything else
Korban3

I maekd uh art do u guise liek et?

Post by Korban3 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Endoperez

Re: I maekd uh art do u guise liek et?

Post by Endoperez » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:35 am

It's all blurry and undefined. It needs some more detail.

Is it covered in fur? If so, some detailed hairs and patches of fur would help. It also lacks facial features. There's the shape of the head, but no: eyebrows, lips, teeth poking up from behind lips, color variation for face/chin/throat, make-up, hair-do, mustache, beard. If they are supposed to be interchangeable, it's fine. If they're supposed to be individuals, you'll need more I think.

The image is rather dull gray all around. Try having some brighter and some darker areas. Where is the light coming from? If you're not sure, add a backlight and a generic light from left or right, slightly above. Try painting the light with the brush set to Overlay, I've heard that's a great trick. It also works when the light's color is different from the object's color.

Backlighting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RdsLBC ... ed#t=2724s

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks, wasn't expecting to get that much advice out of this one.
Not detailed because I just didn't spend the time on it yesterday. I suppose I could put a few more days solid painting into a more detailed one, and that would be awesome.
It's just a quick grayscale. That's why there was no color or lighting difference. Just didn't bother with colors
I didn't play as hard as I originally wanted with contrast between light and dark.
I was sort of shooting for a top-left light source, but I believe it was the lack of light range that maybe caused it to not show so well. I've noticed that I often play shading way too subtly and ought to spend some time making it more, you know, there.

Oh wow, that backlighting was fantastic. That had a huge effect. Good gawd, I have to watch that entire video.

zoidberg rules

Re: I made some art, do you guys like it?

Post by zoidberg rules » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 am

The art itself I liked. The name of this thread however, makes my eyes bleed.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 am

Mwahaha.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:00 am

Double post, but this thread was half a joke anyways

Is this better?
http://korban3.deviantart.com/#/d5aejd1

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:59 am

it's a bit dim korban

up the brightness and contrast a bit please :)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:08 am

Paint in the shadow cast on the surface they're on. They look like they're on a table, on the floor, whatever. You don't need to paint that, but they should cast a shadow onto that surface. Just add a darker blot, and suddenly they aren't just floating. The helmet has weird highlights, a bit like clay instead of metal perhaps. The cloth is great, but quite shiny. It looks like silk or velvet or some other such expensive stuff.

Metal has highlights that are the color of that metal, on white light. Cloths have a highlight that is the color of the light source, white on white light.

The highlight color depends on whether the material conducts electricity, or so I've heard. Paints can go either way, but unpainted, it should be a pretty good rule. I came across it on some 3D texturing tutorial, but it should work here too.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:17 pm

underthedeep wrote:it's a bit dim korban

up the brightness and contrast a bit please :)
Did what I could without completely killing it. Better?
helmet_cropped_undim_for_jesse.png
Endoperez wrote:Paint in the shadow cast on the surface they're on. They look like they're on a table, on the floor, whatever. You don't need to paint that, but they should cast a shadow onto that surface. Just add a darker blot, and suddenly they aren't just floating. The helmet has weird highlights, a bit like clay instead of metal perhaps. The cloth is great, but quite shiny. It looks like silk or velvet or some other such expensive stuff.

Metal has highlights that are the color of that metal, on white light. Cloths have a highlight that is the color of the light source, white on white light.

The highlight color depends on whether the material conducts electricity, or so I've heard. Paints can go either way, but unpainted, it should be a pretty good rule. I came across it on some 3D texturing tutorial, but it should work here too.
I'm not going to keep working on this one, but I'll keep the surface shadow in mind next time.
Yes, the fabric did come out too shiny. It feels kind of like a rubber mat or something to me, as is. I'll have to keep that in mind too.
I sort of wanted to give the helmet a grubby, greasy sort of look so I dropped some dark olive green in and there's a good deal of cyan in there. I don't play with colors often, so I was going big or going home. I see what you mean about the electrical conductivity determining it though.