Hoodz1112

Re: Overgrowth Multiplayer discussion

Post by Hoodz1112 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:40 pm

1 more thing, choosing species...
Rat) The sneakiest
Dog) Brute force
Cat) Counter attacks are better
Rabbit) Agile and swift
Wolves) Weapon pickup disabled, cannot run as fast as rabbits, not as agile, brutal and punishing melee.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Hoodz1112 wrote:Do you know how the Arma 2, and the minecraft multiplayer works?

Free roaming, fresh and fun.
That's like asking Mount & Blade team to make multiplayer. They have a game intended for single player, with a nice combat system, that would be ruined by lag. For them, it only appeared in the Warband expansion.

In other words, while it's a common request, it might not happen, and if it does, it could take several years AFTER the game is released, and that seems to be a few years into the future as well.

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Though some online modes would be nice, I would be fine with just LAN and some local multiplayer.

wfsw32

Post by wfsw32 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Synapse wrote:Though some online modes would be nice, I would be fine with just LAN and some local multiplayer.
LAN would make the most sense but it kinda sucks for people who don't know anyone else with the game.

DietTaco

Post by DietTaco » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Personally, I think LAN games would be fantastic. This would at least allow multiplayer at the consent of the local players. This means that it isn't one of the primary factors of gameplay, (in that the solo/co-op campaign would be the meat of the game) but that the option to play with more than just two people is still there. Basically you don't have to play multiplayer to enjoy the game, but if you are willing to deal with some lag and possible combat reductions, then the option is still there.

Minecraft did this beautifully, because mutliplayer can be a pretty horrible experience if the lag is too much. On the other hand you can always jump into single player Minecraft and enjoy the game just fine. Until recently, it was obvious that Minecraft was not built for multiplayer, although the official game still contained it and people still play it.

Wolfire Games could do just the same with Overgrowth; build a great solo/co-op campaign, and allow for some modular multiplayer experiences. This way the community can handle the multiplayer side of gameplay, while the company deals with a great campaign.

(I just really hope Wolfire continues to listen to the community, especially since they have already made Overgrowth a modder's paradise.)

Capone

Post by Capone » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Hello I'm new to the forum and the game. Idk if it was previously posted or not. But my idea would be to include a multiplayer system similar to that of Aion Online. Not so much as to include armor, (which would be a nice touch) but aion has a faction system, hierarchy, leaders, and race wars against each other battling for territory. But this would a be total complete different part of the game. Where as in single player mode you will have challenges, sandbox play, or even include a multiplayer arena. I don't know if this would be to much because I'm not experienced with this game but I see great potential. I'm also not aware if weather or not Wolfire Games would have enough sever power to support these ideas.

Williboys

Multiplayer

Post by Williboys » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Since there's a splitscreen added will it stay in the game or was it just a test?

ozzibrah

Post by ozzibrah » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:31 pm

i agree with sil, you guys must be utterly idiotic if you believe the game will suffice without online pvp
the pvp that can be made out of this is limitless and orgasmic, a co op mode would only have little set goals and limits and when completed the game will be thrown out like a piece of shit.
just like SKYRIM...i quite enjoyed the game but after completion it was garbage and boring and now there making an online skyrim which is due in years to come, you can check it out yourself.
if your going To make a game, make it proper you IMPUDENT PEASANTS!! PVP IS ON HIGH DEMAND!

the first thing that came to my mind when i saw it was PVP, just imagine

a free roam in a large world where there are many players online which are just roaming and then you and your friends come across them...you fight for wealth, loot weaponry and all sorts of stuff and even make a name for yourselves in the online community.

bchimself

Post by bchimself » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:38 pm

Endoperez wrote: That's like asking Mount & Blade team to make multiplayer.
Check out War of the Roses.

akazi

Post by akazi » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:35 pm

I was wondering if Wolfire even tried to test online in overgrowth's current form???

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:27 am

bchimself wrote:
Endoperez wrote: That's like asking Mount & Blade team to make multiplayer.
Check out War of the Roses.

I know about that. I also know about Mount & Blade: Warband, the expansion that added multiplayer to Mount&Blade.

My point was that multiplayer was added in an expansion. It was extra. Not in the release version. Mount & Blade started as a good single-player game with unique combat mechanics.

War of the Roses is to Mount & Blade what, hmm, Guild Wars is to some single-player Diablo clone. Perhaps Torchlight. Something like that. Big difference in design and everything, but the gameplay has some similarities.

Scrumpeh

Post by Scrumpeh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:21 pm

Sil wrote:This game NEEDS multiplayer. Adding it is absolutely mandatory.

Multiplayer would enable so much more content, especially if the main focus is PvP.
The editor allows the creation of many custom maps, be it Coop or PvP.

Just look at what made Warcraft 3 great.
Overgrowth is, right now, just an engine and only having Singleplayer would lead to the same disaster which happened in Lugario: a great engine, great gameplay, but no or just repetitive content.

What Overgrowth needs is custom map support in multiplayer and focusing on multiplayer PvP gameplay.
You could then even have leagues like in many fighting games like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.
The developers very much disagree. If it's content you want, Wolfire constantly updates Overgrowth,they do have multiplayer, locally though. If you ask me I think that's all the multiplayer that we need.

slayerxyz0

Post by slayerxyz0 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:23 am

Couldn't the devs add a way to send and receive packets and then modders would be able to make the multiplayer?

Sir Crocodile

Post by Sir Crocodile » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Hey folks.
Just pre-ordered the game and thought I'd leave my opinion on this discussion as well.

I've followed Overgrowth for quite a while now and am truly amazed by the steady progress this game is making. I think a multiplayer feature in any way would greatly enhance the quality of this game since it would give players a even bigger motivation to keep playing the game with friends.

A co-op so you can join and maybe exchange other peoples designed maps would be a great idea and would also give people even more of a enticement to play around with the editors to come up with some great stuff. Also the "zombie mode" suggestion I saw on the last Alpha changes video sounds really like something this game could need to become that great of a game as you guys plan to make it.

jdturner11

Post by jdturner11 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Mount n' Blade:Warband is a truly excellent multiplayer game. I played warband exclusively as my online gaming fix for the longest time. Responsive, skill based and the only lag kills I'd see were against players with 300+ ping or literal graphical stuttering. This is not my support for a similar game mode in overgrowth, I'm merely stating it CAN work and has.

I don't mind the suggestions of creating modes or gameplay similar to TF2, Assassin's Creed, etc... Because they are coherent examples of what we LIKE when it's usually pretty intangible to describe our preferences of fun. I don't agree with the ideas, but I don't completely invalidate them as wrong.

My personal feelings on the matter is that Overgrowth has the individuality and complexity to allow a much less straight forward multiplayer gaming experience. LAN combat is already in and looks great, gives me a chilling Bushido Blade feel (again, using examples to define the obscure). However, actual online connectivity with such an intricate targeting/combat system, I feel, would fall flat. Not to mention the developer's have not shown interest in this game mode and it is their game, their love project, which cannot be ignored.

If multiplayer had to be added in some way, I'd imagine the devs would think of an integral way to add it with a smooth transition and Overgrown's feel at heart. I could clearly see social hubs, challenges, tournaments against NPCs (maybe player made and strengthened?), and further promotion of player made content. I don't mean this in the sense of a Steam-like overlay, more of an organic player character civilization, which would bring home the feel of culture; where the meeting of other characters is common. Possibly race specific statistical tracking in the completion of events, rewards, and honors - the kind of division that brings community together, keeping the competitive spirit of mulitplayer gameplay.

The modes in such a system would be endless, though it is only one idea from one human being that is inherently flawed, as such my ideas will be the same. The only need for I can clearly see Overgrowth is the ingenuity already lended from the team. Anything else added to this core gameplay is gravy, in my opinion.