Sleeping Dogs

Anything else
Coincidence

Sleeping Dogs

Post by Coincidence » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:56 pm

And then the tortured Hamlet stood in the game store, thinking aloud to himself. He pondered over the library, the games he hadn't played yet. So many of them. And then his hand pulled off a recent release. "Sleeping Dogs" he had heard people talking about it before. And he wondered to himself, "To buy or not to buy?"

It has been a while since I have read Shakespeare. I'd like to get back to it if not for my intense study timetable and ever growing list of games to play and books to read.

Sleeping Dogs. Is it worth playing?

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 am

It's ok.

Take GTA, set it in Hong Kong, make the protagonist an undercover cop, remove 90% of the guns,put in some decent brawling combat and a neat experience system. That's Sleeping Dogs.

Personally I wouldn't pay day-one price for it.

zoidberg rules

Re: Sleeping Dogs

Post by zoidberg rules » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:01 pm

I have actually been wondering this myself. Well, thanks for that one Zhukov,

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:51 pm

Seems like I'm waiting for price drops on a number of games now. I want to play Spec Ops: The Line, if only because it was "loosely-based" on the masterful classic Heart of Darkness. But I'm not paying $100AUD for a corridor third-person cover-shooter.

Games are far too expensive in Australia.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:37 am

Yeah, I live down under too. I feel you on those Australian prices.

I get most of my PC games on Steam sales. They'll reliably appear at about 70% off within 12 months of launch. I only pay day-one prices for stuff I'm crazy excited for (eg. Mass Effect 3, Journey).

If you're on console then I recommend ozgameshop.com. Significantly cheaper than retail and the shipping is free. For example, when EB Games were selling Uncharted 3 for $99, I got it from Ozgameshop for $50.

Lastly, Spec Ops: The Line is pretty good. The Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now influence is obvious... perhaps a little too obvious. Without spoiling anything, it really does try very hard to do something different to the run-of-the-mill military shooter. However, in my opinion it's attempts at such, and one attempt in particular - you'll know it when you see it, are a little ham-handed and clumsy.

In terms of basic gameplay it's a standard third person cover based shooter with linear levels. I have nothing against that, but if you don't like the genre then this game isn't going to change your mind.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:17 am

Hey thanks, Zhukov.

I guess I'll see if the price will get knocked down a little more before purchasing either of these games.

It just struck me: I paid just over $30AUD for overgrowth, exactly $30AUD for Amnesia and exactly $15 each for Limbo and Braid. That comes to $90AUD and that still isn't more expensive than the launch price for triple-A games in Australia.

Themap

Post by Themap » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:52 am

The prices on videogames keep getting bigger on retail and due to that Valve keeps getting richer xD
My personal belief is that we're killing retail, but slowly milking it to exaustion(while it still is of some use)
I sincerely don't remember the last time i bought a new game ( not second-hand i mean) and that says something
More on topic, do buy Sleeping Dogs, the guys in United Front Games deserve it ;D

BTW , wouldn't it be great if the game sold lots of copies just so Activision could look stupid ??

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:20 pm

I always buy games retail if it is possible for me to do so. There is just something so satisfying about having a disc which I can hold and fit in a CD drive.

I don't see what the point of downloading is anyway. Buying a game on the PSN is no cheaper than hopping down to the store and picking up a hard disc copy. Actually, I can get to the store without a car or public transport, but it costs me precious internet usage to download. So I think downloading is actually more expensive for me. You'd think downloading would be cheaper given that the publishers don't have to pay for the discs to store the game on.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Eh, those disks are actually cheaper than dirt.
Almost literally.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:56 pm

I work in a grocery store that sells dirt. That dirt is damn expensive.

Van

Post by Van » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:40 pm

I've got it and it's amazing

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:08 pm

You have SD, or you have some dirt?

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:29 pm

zoidberg rules wrote:You have SD, or you have some dirt?
I played the demo of SD and it's alright. But I'll have to wait to buy it as my uni workload suddenly came to life and is currently terrorizing the city, so I'll have to deal with that first.

I also brought some dirt. And let me tell you, best dirt I ever bought. I highly recommend buying dirt. It is so satisfying.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:34 pm

See I was thinking about buying some dirt but I don't know where to buy it from, can you recommend any good vendors? I don't want to get home to find I've just bought a bag of sand.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:08 pm

It would most likely be a jar of dirt.