"Transmiter" Ideas for prequel to Receiver

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Dusty926

"Transmiter" Ideas for prequel to Receiver

Post by Dusty926 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:51 am

Feel free to add any ideas you have, good or bad. And yes I know you guys are not making a sequel (or in this case, prequel) to Receiver but these are my ideas for a prequel and I wanna share them so shut awp.

EDIT: Holy mother of sweet cheese that is alot of words.

1: Situation (The name becomes clear here)
In the game the player is stuck in the same building as in Receiver, only there are a little more lights (but not many more) Same enemies as in Receiver but with a twist: If anything see's you, it sends a message to every other enemy in the closest rooms saying that you are here, which puts them on alert, which means the enemies have a much larger F.O.V. (Field of View) You have the 11 tapes that are in Receiver but they have nothing in them. You must find a safe place to record a tape. But once you record a tape, you have to move or you will be swarmed by those flying taser bots. If you record it with enemies nearby, Sentries will be put on alert mode, while taser bots search the area you tried to record in.

2: Gameplay
Practically the same, except for the recording stuff from above, and more weapons. I mean weapons like M16's and AK 74s, but their ammo isn't as plentyful as the pistol ammo. And the weapons themselves can only be found in cabinets that have medium scale protection. Pistol can also be found there or lying around rooms. Another twist is, weapons jam. *Like in FarCry 2* Weapons wear *that spelt correctly?* over time. Over time the weapons will get scratches in them and a little bit of dust on the top, then start jamming, jamming some more, and finally, the ejector of the gun blows off. You must either find a new gun, or use a hammer and 2 metal to make a new one, then attach it. *I'm no expert in guns so idk if that is possible* Which brings me to another new thing: a inventory. Here you can carry everything you find, from bullets to pistols. For guns bigger than a pistol you must grab a backpack. The more you fill your backpack, the slower you get, and the slower you run. Metal and hammers can be found in metalwork places around the building, albeit they are quite rare.

3: Doors
Using the same mechanic that Amnesia: The Dark Descent did. <--- All that needs to be said.

4: Rare, but big enemies
Ok so I lied when I said, "Same enemies as in Receiver." Get on my level. There should be these mildly big enemies that use multiple attacks such as sentry guns for fingers, tasers on knuckles, and spikes on elbows and shoulders. Kinda looking like http://www.cgrecord.net/2012/06/huge-mu ... ng-to.html "Scroll down to Warhound." And they are relentless. They will chase you anywhere and attempt to break down any doors you close in their path. Which can allow you to make a barricade to give yourself some time to decide what you will do next. And like I said, they should be rare.

5: Secret boss battle
I have no part here other than to give a recommendation to take inspiration from Shadow of the Colossus, and to say that it should be accessible only by code or by recording every tape. Which if done right, should be harder than collecting all the tapes in Receiver. Other than that, make it how you guys desire. *I know I'm talking like you guys are actually making it, live with it.*

6: *I have saved the best for last* CO-OP!
The co-op should be able to be hosted by internet or by lan. The players are spawned in a random place in the building, and have only a map of the current floor they are on. Making it incredibly difficult to meet up with someone. Then basically you guys take turns in recording the tapes. But there should be a second mode. Survival mode. *Also should be available in single player* The player(s) should start off with a weapon of their choice, but with 2 magazines. 1 full and the other random each time. The player(s) must fend off enemies, but move around to avoid being swarmed. 1st it starts with only 1-3 enemies at a time, then after 2 minutes 4-6 enemies start showing up, then increase it by 3 each 2 minutes. Mind you those are the size of groups that will show up. The groups show up in random numbers each 2 minutes. First there may be tons of groups, other times there may be hardly any. The player(s) must find food and water scattered around the building. Most commonly in kitchens, but also has some of the highest spawn rates. And (changeable by server host) friendly fire is on.

6 1/2: Official servers
Nothing needs to be said here.

That's all I can come up with right now, but I may add more ideas.
Feel free to add constructive criticism, compliments, or your own ideas.

Dusty926

Re: "Transmiter" Ideas for prequel to Receiver

Post by Dusty926 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:11 pm

No replies? :foreveralone:

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Maybe you play as the person who makes the tapes, unless that's what you meant by record. Then it'll be an awkward fart.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Hey, whatever the cult has to do to brainwash you.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:45 pm

What a bunch of Hippocrates.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:53 am

And just tell me, what would be the point of this?
Everything except the tape recording thing which would add nothing to the gameplay could just be added to normal Receiver. It doesn't really have enough story for there to be a prequel anyway.
One of the tapes in receiver is blank. Does that mean you would have to only record over 10 or what?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:26 am

zzwerty wrote:One of the tapes in receiver is blank.
Have you not been able to hear the voice on the cleartape?

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:03 am

Anton wrote:
zzwerty wrote:One of the tapes in receiver is blank.
Have you not been able to hear the voice on the cleartape?
What, the guy going sort of 'Aauhauhguahaaaaaaaaah'? in some indian singing voice?
Or am I just not awake yet...

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:05 am

That's one of the tapes?
I think that's... a little creepy...

gamowfun

Post by gamowfun » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:47 pm

What if at the end, before you get the last tape to record on, you are killed, hence the empty tape.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:21 pm

that would be just as bad as the ending of slender.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm with you! I've been imagining a very similar 'alternate reality' version in my head as well. (same title and all!)

If you listen to the tape about the different Kill Drones, you might notice that the 'Voice' says they were dreamed up, or something similar to that. This always made me imagine that the gameplay is happening inside a Receiver's dream, and they can only wake up by finding and listening to all the tapes.

So what is happening in the 'real world' while our Receiver is battling to wake up? What if a global Mind Kill was successful and all of humanity has been reduced the dreaming zombies? It is too late for anyone who has not been trained as a Receiver or Transmitter, but those who received some level of training have a chance at self awakening and escaping their dream prison. (I'll admit, this scenario is very similar to The Matrix).

In Transmitter, you play as a self-aware 'cult' member who must use his advanced mental powers to create psychic-linked tapes in the real world that share an existence in the collective dream-world. Any Receiver comrade trapped in the Mind Kill can find these psychic linked tapes and use them to become self-aware.

Following the Alternate Reality theme; Transmitter is a stealthy Survival Suspense / Horror game where the player must creep through a run-down high rise building, avoiding Mindkill Zombies, and placing psychic tapes for young Receivers to find.

You mentioned Amnesia; similarly there would be no fighting or killing in 'Transmitter' since the zombified people wandering the corridors are actually innocent civilians and fellow cult members who are trapped inside the Mindkill. No guns or bullets. Instead, we can use the object assets that already exist for a tape recorder and batteries. There should be one or two other small devices so that there is still a gameplay challenge of managing one set of batteries between multiple essential tools.

There is plenty of possibilities for fun gameplay scenarios, but the basic premise is avoiding making sounds (sleeping zombies don't see too well) while simultaneously tasked with the challenge of speaking into a tape recorder multiple times! I think listening to the player 'speak' all of the 11 recordings would get redundant and take too long. A simple timer bar can let the player know how long they have to hold still while avoiding detection to complete a tape. It doesn't have to actually take the same amount of time as one of the real recordings.

Instead of the sleek futuristic feel of Receiver, the Transmitter's world is gritty and crumbling. Just look through images of war-torn concrete buildings in areas of the Middle East to get a feel for the depressing reality of those who are awake.

Coincidentally, there is plenty of Middle Eastern chanting and prayer songs in the background of Receiver's tapes. Maybe the cult's compound was located in an Arab country? Just before the Mind Kill, local religious leaders learned of the imminent global attack and turned on looped recordings of prayers and songs over the city's speakers as a way to help wake people up or call out to god for deliverance. Also, the existing modular levels can remain the same. Only the textures, lighting and background would need to be redone. Perhaps it is sunset or dusk instead of night?

Anyhow, that's the main gist of my ideas on the subject. Let me know what you think!

drako125

Post by drako125 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:36 pm

zzwerty wrote:And just tell me, what would be the point of this?
Everything except the tape recording thing which would add nothing to the gameplay could just be added to normal Receiver. It doesn't really have enough story for there to be a prequel anyway.
One of the tapes in receiver is blank. Does that mean you would have to only record over 10 or what?
it might be like the way that when you start recording, before you start, he turns around and gets shot up, you die and you win. It would be a good setup for the blank tape

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:48 pm

(talking about the original post here)
The stupidity. It burns.

Riverkiller

Post by Riverkiller » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:23 am

gamowfun wrote:What if at the end, before you get the last tape to record on, you are killed, hence the empty tape.
The tape is not empty! You just can't start making sense of it/hear the voice until you hear it a couple of times.
^ Don't try to actually restart the tape, it doesn't work, trust me I tried.
Also, what's a 'Transmiter'?