(SPOILERS!) For Those Who Have Finished Receiver

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
TideGear

(SPOILERS!) For Those Who Have Finished Receiver

Post by TideGear » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:35 am

[spoiler=]I just finished Receiver for the first time, and it was an amazing experience. I started with the Glock 17 and a flashlight. I kept to higher elevations to try to stay above drones when possible. There were plenty of very close shaves, daring stun-drone escapes, and sometimes I just got lucky that rounds missed me. That said, I really felt like I earned it. I played cautiously and used the automatic mode on the Glock 17 only when entering risky situations. Ammo got pretty scarce sometimes, but I never totally ran out. Playing cautiously and tactically is a really intense feeling, especially since sometimes the smart thing to do just run.

When I crept onto a balcony to grab the last tape, and was able to creep back to safety and listen, I was serene. I imagined how the main character would go on now that they had all 11 tapes. I stared at the picture of the Golden Gate Bridge for a while and relaxed, listening to the chanting for a while before I realized there were more great images. The choice not to have a credits roll was bold (though I think they have a right to it), and the "ANY KEY TO AWAKEN" kicking you right back to the desktop was neat.

I really love this game. Although I welcome any bug fixes or tweaks, I think Wolfire's apparent decision to not bog the game down with too much more is wise. Given what they've done, I trust them to only add what makes the game better.

Cheers to Wolfire for making a great, smart FPS!

Now... what's your experience?[/spoiler]

CATCHMAN

Re: (SPOILERS!) For Those Who Have Finished Receiver

Post by CATCHMAN » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:28 am

Having played since mid July I only first completed the game after the new update a couple of days ago.

Sure enough it was with the Glock. I was on a streak of one-shotting almost every drone I encountered, leaving me with plenty of bullets after absorbing the last tapes.
I hadn't even realized I was up to eleven tapes, so when
[+] SPOILER
everything faded to white I was surprised over how easy/lucky the last 10 minutes were.
Don't know if I was lucky in my ammo conservation, or if the Glock is just too good.

I actually sat at the first image for quite a while, not wanting to accidentally skip a cutscene, but eventually I figured I could proceed.
Even after completing it, I still play all the time.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:16 pm

TideGear wrote:The choice not to have a credits roll was bold (though I think they have a right to it), and the "ANY KEY TO AWAKEN" kicking you right back to the desktop was neat.
It didn't really make too much sense for us to put a credit roll since there were only 4 of us... and our names are listed on the opening screen.

I personally just beat the game for the first time as well, also with the Glock, which I think is interesting that so many people are beating it that way...

I'm curious if more people will do that as well.

Rovert

Post by Rovert » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Makes me wonder if there are any inherent differences to the guns besides ammo count. If there is, I haven't noticed. Seems like the three different guns sort of set a random difficulty for the player: Revolver-hard, 1911-medium, Glock-Easy(ish).

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Rovert wrote:Makes me wonder if there are any inherent differences to the guns besides ammo count. If there is, I haven't noticed. Seems like the three different guns sort of set a random difficulty for the player: Revolver-hard, 1911-medium, Glock-Easy(ish).
Maybe, although I feel like the revolver has more single shot kills than the 1911 (and I just grabbed my last tape with the revolver... but died before it finished... :( )

CATCHMAN

Post by CATCHMAN » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm sure all guns pack a similar punch.
My record in amount of bullets shot into a single buzzer without taking it down is 10 or 11 - with a revolver.
Meanwhile most of my successful takedowns, as of recently, have been with the Glock.

TideGear

Post by TideGear » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:56 pm

I feel the guns are fairly equivalent overall, although the mag capacity and optional automatic mode of the Glock 17, may put it over the top. The revolver does seem to add a bit of challenge, which is actually kind of neat.

Do the guns differ in accuracy? Also, I noticed that all three guns are different calibers. Does this effect the chances of a disabling shot on the drones? If so, by how much?

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:29 am

I haven't finished Receiver yet, but honestly I've never aimed to finish it, simply because it is just so damn fun.

It is a little too easy to lose sight of the grand goal to indoctrinate one's self when all of the occultist's tapes say the same things every game and there are only eleven of them.

I saw there was a one video on YouTube of a guy who finished Receiver in forty five minutes. I don't think I could play that long in one sitting.

CATCHMAN

Post by CATCHMAN » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 am

Just completed it with the 1911. Again I was swimming in spare bullets, so I guess it was a pretty lucky run finding bullets and tapes at a constant rate. There were plenty of killdrones though, but a stealthy approach finished them off one by one.

I've been reading about people complaining over scarce ammo and such (those are the runs I love most), but if there was a higher chance of loot, I fear every run would turn into a bullet-fest.

What I'd like to see is some more loot spots, whereas now you can find tapes and ammo in certain given spots, but not in others where I often check anyway. Also more drone spots, as there are some areas of a room you know there never spawns any kind of drones, even certain rooms are empty of drones completely (such as the room with the pipe you have to jump over).

Basically keeping the spawning - loot or drone - ratio the same, but increasing the spawning spots. Again, as I've read somewhere, a difficulty setting would be in place?

Anyway, just something I pondered while playing.
Only the revolver left now.

SPITFIRE118xxx

Post by SPITFIRE118xxx » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:30 pm

I just beat the game with the first pistol. My god, that thing felt weak in my hands, and 2-3 times when there were many enemies I ran out of bullets. The most heart stopping part would have to be when i just ran through enemies to go into a clearing with nothing except ammo. As for the ending, I do wish there was more insight into the story, stuff, people, and what would happen if you really had awaken.

vvi77iam

Post by vvi77iam » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:49 pm

I expected this thread to have a lot more philosophical discussion in it.

Tiger Walts

Post by Tiger Walts » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 pm

I just got my 11 tapes about an hour ago, and yes it was the Glock. I was pretty lucky with tape spawns, but still had to earn them by getting through some tough rooms. 8 flying drones in an open area can be daunting... until you seek higher ground :D

I never used the burst fire, it's a waste of ammo. If you miss a drone and it's coming for you, just run away and change your direction frequently. Much better to get a another shot when it returns to idle than to spray and pray.

Calibre doesn't seem to matter much in terms of damage. Any hit on a flying drone that isn't the rotor guards or legs will neutralize it. Turret hits however seem to rely on a few factors but the most important seems to be at what angle you hit it. At distance the easiest thing to hit is the battery and motor housing. It's the brown boxy thing between the legs and the gun. You'll notice that it's fatter on one side, that's where the battery is. Any shot there will disable the turret, so long as it penetrates that is. Hit it at too shallow an angle with any gun and it will ricochet off the armour. Hit it face-on (either to the side , top, or rear) and you can guarantee a kill. Of course, you can go for the optics which is always a 1-hit way to stop it, but it;s a small moving target.

I never let myself get into a position where firing the last round from a weapon will leave me in danger, so it's not the extensive magazine size that matters too much. The front sight on the 1911 is quite fat, anything below it is obscured. The revolver sight is ranged quite short so you have to adjust high. The Glock has a narrow front sight an the bullet trajectory is very flat. The Glock simply wins out because it has the shortest time to aim and what you sight is what you'll hit.

CyberneticSasquatch

Post by CyberneticSasquatch » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:42 pm

Funny how you guys are getting the furthest with the most modern weapon the game offers. Think there might be a reason why Gaston Glock designed it has a large magazine and less controls than the 1911?

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:39 am

Well clearly, but I don't think the controls of the gun really make a difference in how far you make it in the game. There aren't really any situations in Receiver in which operating the gun quickly is important. If you stand around fiddling with your gun while a taser drone is coming straight at you, you're going to die no matter which gun you have. You only ever reload in safe places and you can take your time. I've only ever died for three reasons in Receiver:
1, I jumped off a ledge that was too high. Obviously the gun you have plays no role in that kind of death.
2, I didn't notice a drone/turret. Again, the gun plays no role in it. I wasn't using the gun, I was killed by something I didn't even know was there.
3, I ran out of ammo and was forced to dodge bullets and taser drones in search of more. Now this I think might be affected by which gun you have. It seems to me that a lot more bullets spawn in each pile when you have the Glock. With the 1911 I usually run dry sooner or later. With the Glock I always have more rounds than I know what to do with, every single time. I've never died because I ran out of bullets with the Glock. Anyone else have a similar experience, or is it just me?

LazyAmerican

Post by LazyAmerican » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Usually it's the revolver that gives me boat loads of rounds....the tradeoff of course being it's far less manageable to reload in a hectic situation versus simply dumping your empty mag for a new one with either the other pistols.