List of needed rule clarifications.

The place to discuss all things Desperate Gods.
Smellyhobo101

List of needed rule clarifications.

Post by Smellyhobo101 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:00 am

Tiles

Swamp:

Description: Draw two, pick one. Cannot leave unless you roll doubles OR take one damage.

- Is taking one damage a choice? Or do you have to take damage during a fight? On the next turn, do you draw two again? Can you choose to take damage after failing a double roll?

Entrace/Exit:

Description: Move D6 squares forward.

After moving D6 squares forward, do you follow the instructions on that tile?

Trap Door/Abyss:

Description: Fall down to the stacks, take one damage.

After falling down to the tile, do you follow the instructions on that tile?

Kennel:

Description: Draw one from town deck. Draw three, opponent picks one.

- If you already have 3 equipment, do you draw another piece of equipment? If so, do you choose one of the four to discard to the bottom of the pile?

Mirror:

After swapping with an opponent, do you follow the instructions on your opponents tile?

Junk Heap:

Description: Draw three from town(missed that on my first playthrough) deck, opponent chooses one for you.

If you already have 3 equipment, do you draw another piece of equipment? If so, do you (or your opponent) choose one of the four to discard to the bottom of the pile?

Gauntlet:

Description: Draw one. Draw another one.

- Does this mean draw one, fight it, draw another one, fight it?

Marionette:

Description: Untill your next turn. Move for other players.

What exactly do you have control over? Do you just roll the die and then choose? Do you battle for the player as well? Can you use equipment in/outside of battle. Can you initiate a fight on another player? If you initiated a fight against yourself, can you controll yourself?

Altar:

Description: Take two damage. Take the gold from limbo.

Whats a limbo?

Monster Cards

Lonely Flight:

Description: On loss: take three damage.

Does wary helmet protect from the three damage? Do nervous boots protect from the three damage?

Incensed Wizard:

Description: On loss: teleport to the Hedge Maze.

When you are teleported to the hedge maze, do you follow the intructions on the tile?

Dominated Baghead:

Description: On win: take one damage. On loss: take no damage.

Does wary helmet protect against the on win damage? Do nervous boots protect against the on win damage?

Satisfied Ghoul:

Description: On loss: Instead of dealing damage, Satisfied Ghoul steals one of your defeated enemies.

How is the defeated enemy chosen? Is it the last enemy you defeated, or do you pick one from your pile?

Determined Explorer:

Description: You may pay two silver to avoid this battle, and get an extra attack die in your next battle.

If you pay, do you roll both die at the same time? Or two tries at the same roll? Against the cold golem, do you get an extra attack die on the "on win" roll? Do you get an extra attack die if you have to fight it consecutive times? Do you get an extra attack die if you have to fight the deprived succubus mutliple times?

Nonchalant guard:

Description: On win: draw a card from the town deck.

If you already have 3 cards, do you draw a card? If you do, do you discard one of your four cards?

Concerned Swordsman:

Description: On loss: take two damage.

On loss, does wary helmet protect against this? On loss, do nervous boots protect against this?

Engrossed Priestess:

Description: On win: every player takes one damage.

On win, does wary helmet protect against this? On win, do nervous boots protect against this? What about if its not your turn?

Spirited Shrine:

Description: Sacrifice an equipment OR take three damage.

Does wary helmet protect against the three damage? Do nervous boots protect against the three damage?

Quaking Magma:

Description:Each player takes two damage.

Does wary helmet protect against this? Do nervous boots protect against this? What if its not your turn?

Serene Way:

Description: On win: any player may take one damage to put Serene way back in the deck.

Can wary helmet protect against this damage? Can nervous boots protect against this damage?

Monster Cards

Wary Helmet:

Description: You may use Wary Helmet to prevent damage from a battle roll to see if it breaks (1,2,3)

If this can protect against conditions listed above that do multiple damage points, does this protect one damage point or mutliple?

Reassuring Sphere:

Description: Use to prevent another item from breaking. Roll to see if sphere breaks instead. (1,2)

Does this replace the roll for the other item? Or is it used after the roll for the other item fails?

Shy Mask:

Description: You may use the shy mask to avoid a battle. Roll to see if it is lost. (1,2,3)

Can this be used after fighting the Deprived Succubus a second time?

Warm Potion:

Description: Discard warm potion to gain 2 health.

Can reassuring sphere prevent this item from being discarded? When can this item be used? During combat? Before combat? After combat? In-between extra rolls in combat?

Scroll of Town Portal:

Description: Discard to return to town.

Can reassuring sphere prevent this item from being discarded? When can this item be used? During combat? Before combat? After combat? In-between extra rolls in combat?

Scroll of Smiting:

Description: Discard to roll a 6 in combat.

Can reassuring sphere prevent this item from being discarded?

Ravenous Staff/Receptive Gem:

Description: Spells

Spells?

Other Stff

Opponents Choice:

Numerous times it is mentioned on your turn that your opponent should choose something. How do you decide who does this with multiple opponents playing.

Think that was everything. Sorry if anything is confusing/missing ect. Please post if theres anything I missed and I will add it to the OP.
Last edited by Smellyhobo101 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squeegy

Re: Complete list of needed rule clarifications.

Post by Squeegy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:42 am

I get the feeling that the reply, if any, to all of these questions will be "that's up to you." It is, after all, the point of the game that you can make up your own rules.

Smellyhobo101

Post by Smellyhobo101 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:56 am

Squeegy wrote:I get the feeling that the reply, if any, to all of these questions will be "that's up to you." It is, after all, the point of the game that you can make up your own rules.
Yeah untill you get two people against eachother that have played with their own rule-set for a long time and then spend half the game debating why their ruleset is better. I'm not sure if the vaugeness was intentional or if its because the game was rushed on limited time. I dont think it should be vague. Yes being able to make your own rules is nice, but i dont think it should be forced on people. That just makes things frustrating, especially for new people. Most commercial board games have a very strict set of rules that account for all situations.

seiseki

Post by seiseki » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:49 am

Yeah, anyone with boardgame experience knows this is a slippery slope..
You need well written rules or a friendly gaming session might turn into a tedious discussion..

Not to mention the amount of confusion if players are playing their own ways..

And I'm all for house rules, but then there should be a mechanic for writing them down, like a sheet of paper every player can read..

Smellyhobo101

Post by Smellyhobo101 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Saw this post on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DesperateGods/c ... e_ruleset/

Clears up some things. Not sure if its accurate or not.

Saedz

Post by Saedz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:00 pm

Smellyhobo101 wrote:Saw this post on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DesperateGods/c ... e_ruleset/

Clears up some things. Not sure if its accurate or not.
Well as i said in that reddit page all these rules are clarified because i asked all those from Ninjas and David. so you can trust me.

Swartt

Re: List of needed rule clarifications.

Post by Swartt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:17 pm

Smellyhobo101 wrote:Tiles

Swamp:

Description: Draw two, pick one. Cannot leave unless you roll doubles OR take one damage.

- Is taking one damage a choice? Or do you have to take damage during a fight? On the next turn, do you draw two again? Can you choose to take damage after failing a double roll?
If there are no monsters left to fight, you may sacrifice one HP to get out of it
Entrace/Exit:

Description: Move D6 squares forward.

After moving D6 squares forward, do you follow the instructions on that tile?
Yes
Trap Door/Abyss:

Description: Fall down to the stacks, take one damage.

After falling down to the tile, do you follow the instructions on that tile?
Yes
Kennel:

Description: Draw one from town deck. Draw three, opponent picks one.

- If you already have 3 equipment, do you draw another piece of equipment? If so, do you choose one of the four to discard to the bottom of the pile?
Not sure
Mirror:

After swapping with an opponent, do you follow the instructions on your opponents tile?
Depends on house rules, I play with Yes
Junk Heap:

Description: Draw three from town(missed that on my first playthrough) deck, opponent chooses one for you.

If you already have 3 equipment, do you draw another piece of equipment? If so, do you (or your opponent) choose one of the four to discard to the bottom of the pile?
You draw three cards, opponent selects which one you get, you select one to throw away
Gauntlet:

Description: Draw one. Draw another one.

- Does this mean draw one, fight it, draw another one, fight it?
Yes
Marionette:

Description: Untill your next turn. Move for other players.

What exactly do you have control over? Do you just roll the die and then choose? Do you battle for the player as well? Can you use equipment in/outside of battle. Can you initiate a fight on another player? If you initiated a fight against yourself, can you controll yourself?
You control which of the two movement die your opponent choses
Altar:

Description: Take two damage. Take the gold from limbo.

Whats a limbo?
Limbo is a separate pile from all the gold lost from players dying
Monster Cards

Lonely Flight:

Description: On loss: take three damage.

Does wary helmet protect from the three damage? Do nervous boots protect from the three damage?
Yes and Yes
Incensed Wizard:

Description: On loss: teleport to the Hedge Maze.

When you are teleported to the hedge maze, do you follow the intructions on the tile?
Depends on house rules, I play with yes
Dominated Baghead:

Description: On win: take one damage. On loss: take no damage.

Does wary helmet protect against the on win damage? Do nervous boots protect against the on win damage?
Yes and Yes
Satisfied Ghoul:

Description: On loss: Instead of dealing damage, Satisfied Ghoul steals one of your defeated enemies.

How is the defeated enemy chosen? Is it the last enemy you defeated, or do you pick one from your pile?
You or your opponents (depending on house rules)
Determined Explorer:

Description: You may pay two silver to avoid this battle, and get an extra attack die in your next battle.

If you pay, do you roll both die at the same time? Or two tries at the same roll? Against the cold golem, do you get an extra attack die on the "on win" roll? Do you get an extra attack die if you have to fight it consecutive times? Do you get an extra attack die if you have to fight the deprived succubus mutliple times?
Yes, no, no, only once
Nonchalant guard:

Description: On win: draw a card from the town deck.

If you already have 3 cards, do you draw a card? If you do, do you discard one of your four cards?
Pick one, throw away one
Concerned Swordsman:

Description: On loss: take two damage.

On loss, does wary helmet protect against this? On loss, do nervous boots protect against this?
Yes, Yes
Engrossed Priestess:

Description: On win: every player takes one damage.

On win, does wary helmet protect against this? On win, do nervous boots protect against this? What about if its not your turn?
Yes, no, still take damage
Spirited Shrine:

Description: Sacrifice an equipment OR take three damage.

Does wary helmet protect against the three damage? Do nervous boots protect against the three damage?
No, No
Quaking Magma:

Description:Each player takes two damage.

Does wary helmet protect against this? Do nervous boots protect against this? What if its not your turn?
Yes, no, still take damage
Serene Way:

Description: On win: any player may take one damage to put Serene way back in the deck.

Can wary helmet protect against this damage? Can nervous boots protect against this damage?
No, No (note that this card is broken and needs fixing)
Monster Cards

Wary Helmet:

Description: You may use Wary Helmet to prevent damage from a battle roll to see if it breaks (1,2,3)

If this can protect against conditions listed above that do multiple damage points, does this protect one damage point or mutliple?
Multiple
Reassuring Sphere:

Description: Use to prevent another item from breaking. Roll to see if sphere breaks instead. (1,2)

Does this replace the roll for the other item? Or is it used after the roll for the other item fails?
If the item is about to break, you can use this item to "save" it
Shy Mask:

Description: You may use the shy mask to avoid a battle. Roll to see if it is lost. (1,2,3)

Can this be used after fighting the Deprived Succubus a second time?
Yes
Warm Potion:

Description: Discard warm potion to gain 2 health.

yes, during combat, not while taking damage
Scroll of Town Portal:

Description: Discard to return to town.

Yes, anytime while not in combat
Scroll of Smiting:

Description: Discard to roll a 6 in combat.

Can reassuring sphere prevent this item from being discarded?
yes
Ravenous Staff/Receptive Gem:

Description: Spells

Spells?
Anything that can "break"
Other Stff

Opponents Choice:

Numerous times it is mentioned on your turn that your opponent should choose something. How do you decide who does this with multiple opponents playing.
Majority, if it is not possible, roll a die

Think that was everything. Sorry if anything is confusing/missing ect. Please post if theres anything I missed and I will add it to the OP.
Please let me know if you have further questions, as well if you want to debate some of these rules

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:28 pm

Swartt wrote:
Swamp:

If there are no monsters left to fight, you may sacrifice one HP to get out of it
I've been playing this as:

Player draws two cards, picks one to fight.

At the beginning of their next turn, they may either attempt to escape by rolling doubles or by sacrificing a point of damage. In addition, rolling doubles is an escape attempt. So the player would roll another pair of dice to actually move if they escape.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:49 pm

By the way, a lot of these questions have been answered HERE.

Smellyhobo101

Post by Smellyhobo101 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:59 am

Swartt wrote: Please let me know if you have further questions, as well if you want to debate some of these rules
Not asking for your personal interpretation of the rules. I want to know the actual devs rules.

Swartt

Post by Swartt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Smellyhobo101 wrote:
Swartt wrote: Please let me know if you have further questions, as well if you want to debate some of these rules
Not asking for your personal interpretation of the rules. I want to know the actual devs rules.
The rules are made so that you can interpret them yourself, the only official rules are the ones in the txt that comes with the game

Saedz

Post by Saedz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Swartt wrote:
Smellyhobo101 wrote:
The rules are made so that you can interpret them yourself, the only official rules are the ones in the txt that comes with the game
Also viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17048 <--- these are the fixed official rules everything is asked from the devs before added the list, so you can trust it. Also it will replace the one in the files someday.