I'm attempting to add around 50 new cards to the decks.

The place to discuss all things Desperate Gods.
Mald

I'm attempting to add around 50 new cards to the decks.

Post by Mald » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:08 am

As soon as I downloaded Desperate Gods I knew I wanted to add to the game so I've started, so far I'm extremely early in, but my goal is to add 10 cards into every deck, to make the game last longer, because I've noticed with 4 people the game goes by quick.

Here's an example of what I'm starting with. Image I need to fix some stuff, as you can see and obviously add different flavors to the cards but it should be minor fixes to those cards, and obviously finish the other 43 or so cards.

I plan on adding bosses, as shown in the example. They will always be one roll harder than the toughest monster in the area, but offer great rewards, or devastating losses. I would also like to ass new items you can find within the deep parts of the dungeon, and new locations too.

If anyone has any criticism/suggestions that would be great, or even if you want to contribute some of your own cards/ideas, I'd be more than happy to add them as long as they don't unbalance the game.

The art from the cards are from MTG, I feel like they work extremely well with the cards already in game.

White Bear

Re: I'm attempting to add around 50 new cards to the decks.

Post by White Bear » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:56 am

The Magic the Gathering is copyrighted material and so it the art in their cards. As word of warning, you may face copyright infringement.

So simply don't share if you do use the art from those card.

Mald

Post by Mald » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:58 am

White Bear wrote:The Magic the Gathering is copyrighted material and so it the art in their cards. As word of warning, you may face copyright infringement.

So simply don't share if you do use the art from those card.
I'm not making any money off of it. I'm sure I'll be okay. Countless people post MTG art on their sites, and don't get affected by it.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:21 am

Mald wrote: I'm not making any money off of it. I'm sure I'll be okay. Countless people post MTG art on their sites, and don't get affected by it.
Worst logic ever... :cry:

Let's not ruin Desperate God's chances of being a success by getting slapped with a huge Copyright Infringement lawsuit right out of the gate.

(I wonder if David has thought about any of this yet...)

turbochop

Post by turbochop » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:53 am

Mald wrote:I'm not making any money off of it. I'm sure I'll be okay. Countless people post MTG art on their sites, and don't get affected by it.
Yeah, but they probably aren't using MTG art to make a card game of their own, that's the difference. We all appreciate that you want to expand the game, In fact It's great that you want to develop the DG board game further, but using art from MTG just isn't the way to do it.

Liero

Post by Liero » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:46 pm

We really apreciate your efforts to expand the game, but if using copyrighted material without permission may cause problems, In order to avoid this issue, I think there must be tons of non-copyrighted or free material around if you use image search.

Alternatively I would recommend browsing in the deviantART.com for cool fantasy & rpg art. I'm sure many artists there would be glad to give permission to use their work if you ask them nicely.

JayneHJKL

Post by JayneHJKL » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:13 pm

Making a youtube video with a magic card in it would be copyright infringement. Recording or live streaming a game online is technically considered copyright infringement.

The rules are too strict for non-profit creations, and in turn nobody follows them. This is a sign that the system has a fault instead of the people.

Technically everyone is breaking a whole lot of copyrights, but it actually benefits companies due to free advertising. Usually most people just list credit to the respected owners of the art, and claim no ownership over the works.

I would be very interested if you could site any instance of a copyright lawsuit in which the defendant was not profiting from their work, and would comply with any request they made to take down said infringed content.
I think the art style does match quite nicely, good luck with your mod.

Mald

Post by Mald » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 pm

Liero wrote:We really apreciate your efforts to expand the game, but if using copyrighted material without permission may cause problems, In order to avoid this issue, I think there must be tons of non-copyrighted or free material around if you use image search.

Alternatively I would recommend browsing in the deviantART.com for cool fantasy & rpg art. I'm sure many artists there would be glad to give permission to use their work if you ask them nicely.
I'm not stealing the art and calling it my own. All the pictures I've used generally say (c) Wizards 2012, or include the artist name. they might be blocked by the dice on the card or something else, but they're there.

Mald

Post by Mald » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:00 pm

Djemps wrote:
Mald wrote: I'm not making any money off of it. I'm sure I'll be okay. Countless people post MTG art on their sites, and don't get affected by it.
Worst logic ever... :cry:

Let's not ruin Desperate God's chances of being a success by getting slapped with a huge Copyright Infringement lawsuit right out of the gate.

(I wonder if David has thought about any of this yet...)
You understand that once I compile the build it's no longer Wolfire's or David's Build, correct? MTG wouldn't sue him or anyone for that matter over something they're not making money off of. In the absolute worst case scenario I'd end up receiving an email from wizards of the coast asking me to change the art I used.

Lexusex

Post by Lexusex » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Wizards do not own the art of their cards. All art copyrights are owned by their artists, which are quoted at the bottom of each card.

Wizards cannot sue you. Artists can, but it would be utterly pointless.

Xzalander

Post by Xzalander » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:36 am

Lexusex wrote:
Wizards cannot sue you. Artists can, but it would be utterly pointless.
They'd probably 'attempt' to, on the basis of 'representation'. It also depends on the contract criteria they signed with those artists, whether or not they paid for the artwork in full, if they're licensing it from the original artist or if they themselves are 'borrowing' it gratis from them for name recognition.

Also I wouldn't be so sure OP about Wizards not suing the little man. They have done in the past for a few thousand pounds and so have a few other similar companies for much less. *Cough Games Workshop Debacle*