Capacity Limit

The place to discuss all things Desperate Gods.
Dunal

Capacity Limit

Post by Dunal » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Okay, so I'm creating a mod with a group of friends (using Vonkie's mod specifically). Essentially we are adding more and more cards to it. However, it has reached a stage where on two of our computers the game cannot load and crashes because there is clearly too many cards for their computers to handle. This is clearly a problem.

We know that capacity is the problem since we've experimented testing with a certain amount of cards that are varied. One of our computers still works with a certain capacity, but others not.

Therefore, I wanted to ask if there is anyway to overcome this. If we want a card game with >300 unique cards, we clearly cannot because the game crashes with only ~100 or so. This means our project has to end. But, if there is a solution, I't would be grateful to be told if one does exist. It's just a shame that somehow this game is extremely demanding when it has a lot of added cards. This really limits what we can do with it. Advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Eolan

Re: Capacity Limit

Post by Eolan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:27 am

I have built a few total conversions of this board game with well over 120 custom cards and its run on any machine ive sent it too... This includes reskinning every component. I imagine that having over 300 cards is slightly overreaching though. Have you tried loading that many cards in with just a single source .png? Try making a deck with one kind of card and setting the duplicate to 300 or what not and see if that crashes.

Can you say what exactly happens when it crashes?

Ive found generally that if a card file path is messed up the deck will fall into infinity when its drawn, and when your text file has mistakes in it it will load a blank board with no decks.

The author of the mod, "vonkie" has disappeared for over a month so i assume shes lost interest im afraid... I would love to know how i can add pieces and extra decks...

Dunal

Post by Dunal » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:31 am

Nope, it really is just a set number. Through experimentation it's fairly obvious. I know that errors will either crash the game or leave the decks blank. However, this is a specific issue in regards to capacity.

For example the limit would be 1xx. Card A would be added past that limit to cause a crash. So would Card B.

Duplicates work fine. You could have a 300 duplicate just under that limit and it would still work. It just a problem loading a certain number of unique cards.

White Bear

Post by White Bear » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:32 pm

I have above 200 cards total. Works fine. It might be memory problem.
Got 12gb ram
and 4gb ram graphics card

Eolan

Post by Eolan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:18 pm

Yeah i just checked on one of my games, and i realised i have nearly 300 cards as well and it runs fine. Try downscaling the image sizes of the contents?