randomness

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: randomness

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:59 am

Grayswandir wrote:
This begs the question. Is the subbed version better? I'm not into gratuitous swearing for the sake of it.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:02 am

No, they swear just as much in the Japanese dub but its in Engrish.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:08 am

Also, has anyone ever watched Prince Of Tennis? I could give two shits about tennis, but that series was AMAZING at creating tension and developing character conflicts.
Grayswandir wrote:No, they swear just as much in the Japanese dub but its in Engrish.
Oh no. So wait, is the original one in English and they had it dubbed into Japanese? Or what? Which would you watch?
underthedeep wrote:Eden of the East is GREAT

I like to pretend Akira is the anime reincarnation of me. You know, because he wears an olive drab army jacket with combat boots and gets bitches.

The two movies are VERY good but I'm not sure if you are going to get the ending you want :x
Yeah I REALLY enjoyed it, it had some really awesome moments. I like how the animation was like a mix between anime and western cartoons, there wasn't as much generic-anime-characters for that reason.

You saying that about the movies makes me a sad panda, though, Jesse. :[

moomoohk

Re: I'm totally comfortable with this

Post by moomoohk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:24 am

Freshbite wrote:
moomoohk wrote:I'm just trying to fit in ;_;
We're talking anime, not some made up trash hentai. :]
I dunno what made up trash hentai you're talking about

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:21 am

moomoohk wrote:pinkie mingie and the big black tentacle monster
moomoohk wrote:Dirty Sally and The Dirty Sanchez-o-Tron 6900
Of course you don't.

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:16 pm

What they're pretty good.

So is Peepee PoopyPants and the Dung Beetle of Truth

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:41 pm

Fresh, have you tried watching the English dubs of Fullmetal Alchemist and/or FMA Brotherhood? They are pretty fantastic.

Also, what's up with Berserk? I've heard it mentioned a few times before but I've never really bothered to look it up. All I can gather is that it has gratuitous violence, is very entertaining, and people are waiting desperately for a conclusive ending? Perhaps even those are misinterpretations.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:28 pm

The closest I'll ever get to anime is Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Why?

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Because he's too uptight to try it.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Well, yeah, but I'm hoping to get him to realize that rather than outright say it :lol:

Some things have negative stigmas attached to them, for better or for worse, and people are hesitant to try them. I think this stereotype that all animes are either somehow nerdy or just filled with yaoi tentacle rape is bollocks, and kind of irritating, to be honest. I'm not saying that there aren't people who take it too far, but that's true with anything.

"Anime" is literally any animated series created in Japan, of which there are thousands upon thousands in all shapes and sizes. Statistically speaking, for any given individual, there are definitely a certain amount of shows they'd wholeheartedly enjoy. Cutting yourself off from a massive sector of the entertainment industry without putting in a little effort to try different types of it- well now, that's boring and silly.

Any chance you'd have of discovering the kinds of shows you'd enjoy is significantly slimmed down by saying, "Oh, this is Japanese? Looks like it's fuck-this-shit o'clock, I'm not gonna watch it at all." Not to mention the (unfounded and illogical) bias you create by having negative expectations of something without giving it a shot.

Of course, I don't want to assume that Timbles has never thought about watching an anime or not given it a shot- maybe he's just emotionally scarred from being molested by an otaku at a young age or something. Totally understandable.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 pm

No, I'm just not very interested in anime.
Or television.
Except for Adult Swim.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:08 pm

I've a few friends who're animation students in the most respected animation school in the country (IADT Dun Laoghaire), and a couple of them outright dislike anime. I'm not sure it's because of any perception they have of it. My friend Melissa says she doesn't know why she dislikes it, I'd imagine it might be something to do with the animation style. She's a massive Pixar nerd so she's quite black and white where her loyalties lie. I was a bit miffed by the fact that she disliked it, but I could understand where she was coming from.

Having said that, their animation society in the college that she co-founded with a friend showed Redline and Howl's Moving Castle, both of which I haven't seen. I think it was to give equal measure to all types of animation rather than just selfishly making it about the type that she enjoys.

So I don't outrightly see it as closed-minded if other people don't like anime. People don't have to write you an essay about their reasons for not liking something just because you like it and feel indignant about the criticism.

moomoohk wrote:What they're pretty good.

So is Peepee PoopyPants and the Dung Beetle of Truth
I know this is randomness, but your wanton childish attempts at jokes are beginning to grow tedious.

Don't take that the wrong way. I'm not saying "You're behaving like a child." I'm saying your attempts at jokes since this conversation started have been repetitive, and seem to be to the standard of a five-year-old.

charcoalrox

Post by charcoalrox » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:00 am

One day on the am-tracks I heard a burst of laughter. This was amusing to me, but I didn't want to seem rude so I restrained myself. As time went by I noticed the laughing was getting closer to me. This went on for awhile before he finally got within earshot. It was a man holding some items laughing hysterically. In between breaths he would say one simple phrase!
"Want some Pringels, How about some nuts! I don't want them, they're to dang salty!" After saying this he would begin to laugh. Needless to say, this man has been my idol ever since he offered Pringels on the Am-track.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:02 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Grayswandir wrote:No, they swear just as much in the Japanese dub but its in Engrish.
Oh no. So wait, is the original one in English and they had it dubbed into Japanese? Or what? Which would you watch?
I've seen it in both Japanese and English. Japanese is the original and Revy (and everyone else) screams swear words in Engrish.