PH3NF1X // ART thread you were saying?

Anything else
Endoperez

Re: My artwork

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Huh, weird. The images don't open in Opera. They work fine in Firefox.

Your colors are all over the place, really bold, unbalanced, angry, high contrast. It doesn't look good. The best of the recent bunch is the guy on the bottom of page 2, with green and yellow clothes, red, yellow and brownish skin.

Your other works tend to be all cold, or all warm, dominated by a single color with no contrasting color at all. It looks one-sided, unbalanced. Try using a few different colors and getting some sort of harmony going.

Your violet face is flat. It has no third dimension. The skin looks blue, cold and dead. The face is the color of an old bruise.The hair DOES have three-dimensionality in the curving strokes, making the face look even worse for it. The hair is the color of electricity and ice, and while it doesn't look alive, it doesn't look dead. It looks like it could be moving. The skin and hair are yellow on the right, as if there was a bright light there. However, there's no clear direction for the light, you can't say if it's from the front, from the far right, or from behind. There is no shadow on the left side, the nose has a shadow ON THE RIGHT, on the side that should be in the light. There's a small, slightly lighter spot on the left, that indicates some sort of light, but since that light bright spot is weak, it couldn't cast harsh, dark shadows.

I'm not saying this because I think you're bad. You're drawing and painting, and that's very good. That's great. However, if you want to get better, you should start thinking about things a bit more. Don't copy straight from the books, LEARN from the books.

Ask yourself questions - why did the artist draw it like this? Why is this darker? Why is this red and not yellow?

If you're coloring a character, don't choose the colors yourself. Choose the colors from the book - but use a picture or character! Don't just look at "how to draw" books, but also at art books, at books with great paintings and drawings, anime or not.
Do more exercises like the last one you posted, all random blots - but small, VERY small! Make something the size of a playing card - no characters, just nice colors. Take the colors of some image that has colors you like. Then, once you've done that a few times, try doing a few exercises that are smaller, just the size of a matchbox. Why? So that you have no space to add in too much detail, and so that you can do many of them. Make two dozen, put them on a wall, and choose the three best ones. Compare those three to images you like, and try to find out why they work.

Van

Post by Van » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:13 am

thank you man. ^_^ I try to get better

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:17 am

I make a brief return to this thread to thank Endoperez for taking the time to explain the things I couldn't and/or didn't dare to 'cos my brain is currently full of fuck. Very well worded, too.
Well done, that man.
H'zah.

*Abandon thread²*

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:51 am

Glabbit wrote:I make a brief return to this thread to thank Endoperez for taking the time to explain the things I couldn't and/or didn't dare to 'cos my brain is currently full of fuck. Very well worded, too.
Well done, that man.
H'zah.

*Abandon thread²*
Diddo. I've got my own thread to hide in, all alone.
"Screw you guys, I'm goin' home."

Van

Post by Van » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:11 pm

hey guys, update here, some old and new. some stuff i've never posted.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:26 pm

I like this one.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:15 am

I'm trying to figure out how he did it.

Surely he didn't just use paint or something and start drawing lines.

Van

Post by Van » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 pm

I used a combination or alchemy and photoshop

Van

Post by Van » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:31 am

Van

Post by Van » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 pm

hope you guys like it?

some old and new stuff

Van

Post by Van » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:19 am

bump

Van

Post by Van » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:37 pm

hope you guys like it!

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Today, I scrolled past this guy for the umpteenth time and suddenly thought:
Van wrote: Image
Squidward.
That's it. I hereby dub this guy Squidward. Whatever else he is supposed to be or portray, he will forever be Squidward to me now.

Van

Post by Van » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Ah, well there's the bit where I just copy all the images I post elsewhere so I guess sometimes there's going to be a duplicate

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:29 am

Van, this is how I feel about you. Image I hope this shows my crazy love for you.