LLC suggestions (too early?)

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Djemps

LLC suggestions (too early?)

Post by Djemps » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm having lots of fun with LLC at this point.

David and Team did a great job of designing a quick and dirty Deathmatch game, while introducing fresh concepts and strategies into the gameplay.

I loved the 'teaser' clip with the dynamic 'sunrise / moonrise / star-rise / whatever-rise' lighting. I watched it a few times and got to thinking that most of that level is drenched in darkness for a long stretch of time before the skylight finally begins to illuminate (get it) the battlefield. Wouldn't this alter the way battles are played on this map? Staying hidden and moving slowly, hunting others while staying out of the light?

Right now you can search in the dark using your flashlight or laser-scope. But this also reveals your location. What if you wanted to stay stealthy?

QUICK IDEA: Nuclear Geiger Counter

We are talking about nuclear powered ninja assassins here. Wouldn't they be giving off radioactive emissions? How about opting to lower your weapons and turn on a Geiger Counter / Radar Device to locate nearby enemy radiation? Stay in the shadows and follow the clicks!

SteelRaven7

Re: LLC suggestions (too early?)

Post by SteelRaven7 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Djemps wrote:I'm having lots of fun with LLC at this point.

David and Team did a great job of designing a quick and dirty Deathmatch game, while introducing fresh concepts and strategies into the gameplay.

I loved the 'teaser' clip with the dynamic 'sunrise / moonrise / star-rise / whatever-rise' lighting. I watched it a few times and got to thinking that most of that level is drenched in darkness for a long stretch of time before the skylight finally begins to illuminate (get it) the battlefield. Wouldn't this alter the way battles are played on this map? Staying hidden and moving slowly, hunting others while staying out of the light?

Right now you can search in the dark using your flashlight or laser-scope. But this also reveals your location. What if you wanted to stay stealthy?

QUICK IDEA: Nuclear Geiger Counter

We are talking about nuclear powered ninja assassins here. Wouldn't they be giving off radioactive emissions? How about opting to lower your weapons and turn on a Geiger Counter / Radar Device to locate nearby enemy radiation? Stay in the shadows and follow the clicks!
That's a cool idea. Especially if it would require you to holster your weapon, it'd be a nice tradeoff.

Fixious

Post by Fixious » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm not sure how long Wolfire supports these types of games. I read that it was done for a marathon, so I assumed it'd be just a one-time release with no further support but the video showed more levels so I'm not sure. If they can afford the time:

If running increases the timer countdown, how about crouching lowers it?

A basic reticle would be a decent addition. Just a small dot, nothing fancy.

Server options would be great. The ability to control the timer, player count limits, etc.

The ability to host a non-public server. If this is possible already then I'm probably blind, but it seemed every server I hosted automatically went public.

Of course, fixing input lag/server optimization should take precedence over anything else suggested in this thread.
Last edited by Fixious on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:39 pm

Fixious wrote:A basic reticle would be a decent addition. Just a small dot, nothing fancy.
I don't feel like this would add anything to the game. As it is your gun and sword both already have a very wide range, and not every game needs a reticle, similarly to how not every game needs health bars.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:21 am

Not really too keen to the geiger counter idea. I feel like a game like this should remain pretty similiar to what it is, and only have small tweaks of gameplay (easy enough to add for daveboy).

My ideas etc.:
Make the middle generator a little more long lasting. It being a finite resource adds a certain level of excitement however it can make the late game a bit dull and inactive. A few times I've went up to the generator and sucked it dry and then just went to lurk in the shadows with full power and waited till the enemy runs out of fuel or tries to recklessly charge a part of the map in desperation. Longer lasting generator could make late game more intense

A small target reticle. Someone already said that it's unnecesary due to the wide effect range of the weapons, however if I'm lurking in the shadows, I can't sometimes even see my gun because of the darkness therefore making proper aiming at semi long distances pretty quirky. A small bright dot could make this problem go poof.

Perhaps changing the energy drain on sprint for I feel like it drains a bit too quickly. I'm usually too scared to sprint because of that. Adding lower costing sprints could make the game a little more fast paced (if we want that..if we desire more sneak then its fine as it is.)

General smoothing. Sometimes I get stuck in rocks and shit. Sprinting, fast turns and jumping + sprinting feels kinda clunky.

Advance123

Post by Advance123 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:38 am

A Geiger counter would ultimately be really pointless. LLC is very fast paced and action based. The majority of matches I've been in lasted about 1 minute each. There'd be no point in it because it's a very simple game that would be best to stay that way. You die pretty easily anyway and it's not incredibly difficult to find other players. Also, the stealth (which in itself isn't very fleshed out) would be made redundant.

Beef Pop

Post by Beef Pop » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 pm

While the geiger counter would be fun, we already have the timer beeps from other ninjas to guide us-- when they hit 20 seconds, you'll hear them.

Since we ARE ninjas, though, I would love to see the jump-and-run sort of play that is so fun in Overgrowth be a little more present in LLC. Wall runs and wall jumps could make this have another strategy set. It could also allow for some pretty fun level designs.

Pr0fil3

Post by Pr0fil3 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Wolfire:

Can you create a server version of the game or add a spectator mode?

Either way would make hosting a server easier.

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:00 pm

I'd like server tools as well. It'd be nice to be able to host a server without having to be playing on it the whole time. Granted, the server list could get cluttered with empty servers, but some simple sorting features could fix that.

atomtengeralattjaro

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Please, no reticle.
"Just a small dot" is the worst, anyway. A small dot aids your aiming way too much.
If the problem is that you can't see your gun in the dark, well, you can always know where the middle of your screen is, can't you? that's where you're aiming. But making the gun visible while in dark (by a dim/non-directional light that's only visible for you, so it doesn't reveal your position) would be a fix to this, i guess.

Anyhow, I like the challenge in aiming. Putting the head of the enemy into my crosshair would be too easy.

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:00 am

Not to mention, in my experience, there'd never really be any time to properly line up sights anyways. The game is fast-paced enough that it would be pointless in any case.