Will L2 feature cloth physics?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
tallyl.iii

Will L2 feature cloth physics?

Post by tallyl.iii » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:13 pm

I'm just wondering if since the clothes will be placed over top of Turner, will we see his traditionally loose pants with cloth physics or if you'll just give him tight fitting leather armor or something.

Also, will the foot-blades/daggers be in Lugaru 2 and if so will they be useful for more than the one roundhouse kick featured in Lugaru 1?

(foot-blades at: http://wolfire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=896)

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:33 pm

There will definitely be cloth physics. but the foot blade is less certain :)

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:04 am

That's our david! :D 8) !!!

(It only makes sense, though: physics based clothing on a ragdoll in a next-gen game! ^_^)

Well, about that footblade thingie, I think I recall David saying that Lugaru 2 will be more mod-able? Correct me if I'm wrong. If so; you could atleast put them blades in your own levels :D

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:14 am

Tail-blade! So when you miss with the drop kick but still land on them you can stab them!

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:19 am

Cloth physics?! Thats quite some feat even above and beyond what you are already planning to achieve, at least real-time.

I'm not saying it can't be done of course and what I've seen on here in the past few days (i discovered Lugaru and the Lugaru 2 Development after playing Black Shades from my PC Gamer disc) gives me huge confidence in [David and the teams] ability to pull this off.

If you do, I have a request :)

CLOAKS! :D

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:38 pm

GaGrin wrote:Cloth physics?! Thats quite some feat even above and beyond what you are already planning to achieve, at least real-time.

I'm not saying it can't be done of course and what I've seen on here in the past few days (i discovered Lugaru and the Lugaru 2 Development after playing Black Shades from my PC Gamer disc) gives me huge confidence in [David and the teams] ability to pull this off.

If you do, I have a request :)

CLOAKS! :D
David made a real-time cloth tech demo when he was 14. I see that you're new here. Don't underestimate the David. :)

The cloth engine is going to go very well with the next generation wind engine.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:17 pm

0_o!!!

Whoa.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:38 am

!!!!!! :shock:

Unbelievable.
Yays!

Also... Cloaks! 8)

Oh, and we got to have primitive underwear :P

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:25 am

Jeff wrote:David made a real-time cloth tech demo when he was 14. I see that you're new here. Don't underestimate the David. :)

The cloth engine is going to go very well with the next generation wind engine.
See, now that amazes me. That must have been in like 2001. Games like Halo, Super Smash bros Melee, and Devil May Cry were first getting released. And you're telling us that David, at fourteen, created technology right when it was only just beginning in the gaming industry? Seriously, that's crazy, I wasn't getting over excited before, I was still underestimating David.

And I can't wait to see what David's cloth engine is going to be like this time. And for that matter how about wind? Is it really possible to create constant real time effects that move cloth materials based on the way wind works? Can't imagine what that'd be like, I'm looking forward to that update.

Heh, I love how Jeff is the guy that leaks out all this new information on Lugaru 2 to us. We are so lucky to have him!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:14 am

Hey I don't just leak news! I like to think that I create it too. Here's the story on wind and water (one of my contributions to L2). As far as I know this idea has never been implemented in any game before, so you heard it here first!

Basically when the height data for a terrain is created, so is something that I have dubbed a "flowmap". A flowmap is basically a three dimensional grid of vectors that tells you the direction and magnitude that wind/water/whatever is going. This flowmap is created by simulating wind or water running through the terrain in a very realistic manner.

The bottom line? If you are at the top of a windy peak, your ears and clothes will be blowing in the wind, and if it's windy enough, the fancy animation system will make you lean against the wind as you walk, etc. However, you can take shelter behind a wall or in a valley. When it snows or leaves fall, you will be able to see the complex calculations in detail as the snow flakes fall into eddies and curve over the terrain.

Same goes for water. If you fall into a river, be prepared for a pretty wicked ride.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:55 am

Swept downstream?! Pulled under by the current? Thrown onto the riverbank a mile away, barely breathing :D

Or maybe I'm getting over excited?

Either way this sounds seriously cool Jeff :D I honestly can't wait to see how this all fits together.

I only wish my own skills were upto scratch so I could help :(

Still - one more year at uni, I might actually get my 3d art skills to a point where I'm happy with them :P

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:23 am

If the clothes are going to be ripable, I would pee myself.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:18 pm

-eyes explode, but the sound is drowned out by the noise of my lungs doing the same-

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:00 pm

Jeff certainly knows how to get good word-of-mouth going. Jeff is the buzz-creator.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:51 pm

*sound of mind blowing*