randomness

Anything else
Ragdollmaster

Re: randomness

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 am

Sooo. (HD)

Pretty. I like how the gameplay seems less restricted than BF3's campaign- things like the rather open outdoor environments with multiple approaches and freely drivable vehicles reminds me of ole Bad Company's campaign, pseudo-open-world (ie being able to look around and search for hidden areas and collectibles) versus an entirely linear 5 hours of "shoot the guy down the hall, then press x to not die," though it's not entirely free of those elements either. All in all, campaign looks like a solidly generic manshooter, but it also looks like it'll feel more Battlefield-y than BF3's go at it.

Still can't get over how much the animations, especially movement and facial expressions, have improved. Improvement on the textures and other effects is noticeable, but not too big of a deal.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 pm

You folks are all still alive I see.

In other news, smoked salmon, mayonnaise and pickled onions make for a really good sandwich and Bioshock Infinite is fucking amazing beyond even my demanding expectations.

eyeCube

Post by eyeCube » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 am

I'm sorry but for the krim biscuit's overture of orange oblato walk. What little makes Iumbre Delvan Guelerd is pressed upon the East by crabs of oh such a magnificent magnitude it brings tears to my eyes.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:56 am

I'm sorry, what?

Also, I second this:
Zhukov wrote:[...] Bioshock Infinite is fucking amazing beyond even my demanding expectations.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Have it downloaded and ready to play...but I want to finish Bioshock 2 first!

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:01 pm

Bioshock 2 is pretty good and I'd recommend finishing it if you can. I generally prefer 1 over 2, but 2 is still very solid and I have to say that I heavily prefer its endings to 1's (mainly because there's no arbitrary "boss" battle) Infinite is easily the best of them all- I thought Last of Us would easily win my heart as my personal GOTY, but at this point, I honestly haven't got a clue which I'll prefer until I play it.

Also, I imagine that that BF4 gameplay thing I posted earlier is probably too long for most people to care, so here's a 1 minute TV spot if that's more your thing. Even if this kind of game doesn't interest you, I think it's worth watching just to appreciate how incredible the animation is- and keep in mind that everything shown in the trailer is done in real-time, no prerendered jazz whatsoever.

HD

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:12 pm

What I don't like seeing is that Battlefield seems to be going for the more cinematic storytelling of Call Of Duty, i.e. it's shit. Multiplayer is still fun, but games like Call Of Duty, Battlefield and Halo have such horrendous storylines that render them unplayable for me. The only exception is Halo ODST which actually focused on storytelling. There was a setting/story to explore in the world. The same is not true of any of the other games. They are multiplayer only for me.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:35 pm

BF3 was especially bad in being CODesque, right down to switching the player's perspective between a US soldier and a foreign spec ops member as both of them scramble to save the world from Russian terrorists with a nuke, but I like that BF4 seems to be going back to focusing on a single squad in a larger war, Bad Company style. Also, the prospect of large-scale battles in the streets of China makes me giddy for some reason.

I've got to admit that the amount of explosions in the trailer reeks of something out of a Michael Bay film, but hopefully those were just to show off the pretty graphics. The big set pieces are done pretty nicely and I wouldn't mind making some big booms now and then, I just hope the whole "shooting down a helicopter in slow motion while hanging out of a car door" part is not indicative of a typical mission :roll:

What I did like, though, was how human the protagonists seem and how well the voice acting and facial animations convey their emotions. There's a particular moment in the full trailer that made me cringe pretty hard when I first saw it. At this point, it looks at least better than BF3's campaign, and improvement's always good.

akazi

Post by akazi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:26 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:BF3 was especially bad in being CODesque, right down to switching the player's perspective between a US soldier and a foreign spec ops member as both of them scramble to save the world from Russian terrorists with a nuke, but I like that BF4 seems to be going back to focusing on a single squad in a larger war, Bad Company style. Also, the prospect of large-scale battles in the streets of China makes me giddy for some reason.

I've got to admit that the amount of explosions in the trailer reeks of something out of a Michael Bay film, but hopefully those were just to show off the pretty graphics. The big set pieces are done pretty nicely and I wouldn't mind making some big booms now and then, I just hope the whole "shooting down a helicopter in slow motion while hanging out of a car door" part is not indicative of a typical mission :roll:

What I did like, though, was how human the protagonists seem and how well the voice acting and facial animations convey their emotions. There's a particular moment in the full trailer that made me cringe pretty hard when I first saw it. At this point, it looks at least better than BF3's campaign, and improvement's always good.
Read my mind there lad. I agree the voice acting and facial animations were really good, it was probably my favorite thing in the trailer.

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:10 pm

Someone say real time no prerendered shit?

I came a little.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:08 pm

I didn't. To be honest, engine demonstrations always seem to look way better than any games using that engine do, mainly because they just have to focus on looking pretty in the best of conditions; I'll wait to see a demo of a game running Unreal 4 before orgasming over its glory.

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:03 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:I didn't. To be honest, engine demonstrations always seem to look way better than any games using that engine do, mainly because they just have to focus on looking pretty in the best of conditions; I'll wait to see a demo of a game running Unreal 4 before orgasming over its glory.
Fair enough.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:38 am

No game's going to have animations that are that realistic, so it's really just eye candy.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:20 am

well i played bioshock infinite, and i must say this is my new take on life:

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:46 am

Word.