Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
chitoryu12

Re: Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

Post by chitoryu12 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:31 am

Agreed on optimization. I'm playing the Oblivion Lost mod for STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl and it runs nearly perfectly, but Receiver chugs itself into uselessness on the lowest graphics settings. Which sucks because I'm an avid shooter and huge advocate of realism in games, so Receiver is pretty much the perfect game for me!

I would like to see more kinds of weapons, and I agree with the previous point that part of the fun is trying to learn to operate the different guns. All three weapons have somewhat different styles of operation, which you need to memorize to properly use. Adding weapons with greater or less complexity will add more variance to the game. I do like the idea of a Mosin (mostly because I own a Mosin myself), but I'd also like to see an old Single Action Army or other loading gate revolver or a shotgun.

YoSoyGato

Post by YoSoyGato » Wed May 01, 2013 4:56 pm

How about a scatter gun?
A bit like the hammered up(?) Glock except only a group (around 5 or 4) fire at once.
It may seem to powerful, but maybe they can give it a high recoil.
Maybe it can have the same gun manipulation as a 1911 except you can open the barrel and load the bullets in.

EDIT: Here's a pic: Image

chitoryu12

Post by chitoryu12 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:00 am

A double-barrel shotgun like that is really easy to use. Just break open the barrels, optionally remove the spent shells (modern guns often have automatic extractors so they pop out themselves when you break it open), insert two new shells, close the gun, and optionally cock the hammers if it's an old "rabbit ear" gun. It's easier in Receiver than real life because there's no worries about fumbling the shells when loading.

A pump-action shotgun would be interesting depending on how you did the controls. You could have the forend action being two buttons vertically across from each other (like U and J, for instance) so pulling it back and moving it forward would be two separate actions; this would encourage players to learn fast operation of the action. Plus a slide release that you need to hold to pull the forend back when it's cocked.

One other thing I'd like to see are malfunctions that have to be cleared. A stovepipe jam (where a spent casing doesn't entirely clear the gun due to a broken extractor or too weak of a propellant charge and gets trapped in the ejection port) or a dud round can be cleared by just racking the slide again. If you got a double-feed you'd need to remove the magazine, rack the slide to clear it, then reinsert it and rechamber the gun (and pick up the unfired cartridges from where they dropped out of the gun). It would give another advantage to the revolver, as it's totally immune to any of these problems except for a dud round, which can be cleared simply by pulling the trigger again to fire the next chamber.

Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Cross-posting some thoughts I had in the Steam forums for the game; just some basic tweaks or refinements:

1. A dedicated "run modifier" key, since I really don't want to keep mashing "W" to sprint. It's not good for the keyboard.

2. The audiotapes - it gets old having to hear them each and every single time you have to start over (which is very often), so at least give us a fast-forward, or a way to skip them and get the credit. Either that, or don't automatically play the tapes, but rather give let the players hold the "X" key (or whatever you have it mapped to) to hear the most recently collected one, or give us a menu from the pause screen for them. See Bioshock Infinite or System Shock 2 and their audio logs.

3. The shock drones - nerf them. Seriously, they're the most frustrating thing in the game. Maybe make their attack a short-ranged bolt that has a second or so delay between shocks, so you can at least have a chance to avoid them when they come barreling down on you.

4. Number the inventory slots and make the stored models smaller so we can avoid having the bottom of the screen so cluttered up. Right now you can't see anything past slot 7 because it all goes off-screen.

I really like Receiver for what it is. It's a great little experiment and a fresh take on the FPS genre. I'm just hoping the team will take some time to refine and balance some things further.

Enemby

Post by Enemby » Fri May 10, 2013 11:56 pm

Steve1664 wrote:Cross-posting some thoughts I had in the Steam forums for the game; just some basic tweaks or refinements:

1. A dedicated "run modifier" key.

3. The shock drones - nerf them.

4. Number the inventory slots and make the stored models smaller so we can avoid having the bottom of the screen so cluttered up.

[R] I really like Receiver for what it is. It's a great little experiment and a fresh take on the FPS genre. I'm just hoping the team will take some time to refine and balance some things further
1. This is so player's don't run all of the time(it strengthens pacing this way.)
3.Shock drones are the only difficult part for experienced players. Nerfing them would make the game a breeze, and remove the feeling that everything can kill you.
4.Not a bad idea, but down-scaling the models would be impractical for gameplay.

R. Wolfire is most likely not going to do another update for a long time(if at all) since they are focused on Overgrowth. Keep in mind that Receiver is an experiment, not a game a company spent months making.

Shayler99

Post by Shayler99 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi! I got few ideas that i'd like to see in Receiver.

-Hands. I really like the idea of you see your hands putting the mag in and taking it out.

-New enemies. Im not a big fan of shooting robots. There should be some living enemies like maybe spiders? They could walk in the walls and roofs and would jump on you to attack. Or there could be like patrolling human sized and modelled robots that walked around the map with rifles. Would start running and looking for you if it sees you.

-Maybe new aiming system? If you press RMB would zoom the weapon closer to your eyes making it easier to shoot far. The basic aiming is like in every fps games and when you aim it goes to aim mode that is now and maybe closer to your eyes.

-Shayler99 :mrgreen:

liampieman

Post by liampieman » Mon May 13, 2013 1:07 pm

does anyone know if or when receiver will update again?

TehEpic

Post by TehEpic » Tue May 14, 2013 1:36 am

liampieman wrote:does anyone know if or when receiver will update again?
I doubt it. I think that Receiver was more of an experiment and not a game they will do much with. Overgrowth is their main focus.

Hexicube

Post by Hexicube » Tue May 14, 2013 12:34 pm

Signed up just to point this out since somehow nobody mentioned this in 10 pages of discussion:
Two dimensional meta-movement, currently the player can either go 'forward' or 'back' in terms of room connection, but I feel like it's easily possible to have rooms connect to 4 other rooms for a much more maze-like structure. Obviously optimisation would be mandatory for this, but this really bugged me with Receiver (more so than the flying droids, which for the record can be 1-hit killed with a shot to the 'face') because it felt really weird to have a building like that.

Naznin

Post by Naznin » Tue May 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Coincidence wrote:Glabbit, I would have to disagree that the flashlight breaks the atmosphere of receiver. I found it more frustrating than immersive to attempt to navigate the pitch black rooms without a flashlight. It doesn't add any more tension or sense of danger, basically because I would know if the killdrones were around regardless of how light it was because they whir endlessly and cast blue light all over the walls.

I find it to be a little bit like how the light and dark mechanics in Amnesia: The Dark Descent affected the player. In Amnesia I would use the lantern in dark places even if Daniel's sanity was high, because I found myself fearing the dark often more than Daniel did due to the consistent atmosphere. But if Amnesia didn't have a lantern and I had to navigate Daniel through the darkness unaided then I would eventually get used to it.

The same goes for Receiver. When I navigated in the dark and it was difficult to see in the old builds, I simply got used to it and after I had memorized all the rooms I got around fine. But the flashlight has softened me up a little and now when I'm navigating the darker rooms unaided I actually do feel tense and often at times find myself wishing for the flashlight.

Perhaps in the next build we can have multiple game modes. Say a "dark mode" where there are no flashlights, for people who think that the flashlight breaks the atmosphere. And another mode for people who think it adds to it.
Just nothing to say. Truly awesome informative about this game. More replies want for you.
Last edited by Naznin on Wed May 15, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hexicube

Post by Hexicube » Tue May 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Oh, forgot to mention, the ability to choose between tick based and delta based emulation.
Explanation for those not informed of these words:

Tick based:
Every step in the game takes EXACTLY n seconds (usually something like 0.0167 for 60fps or 0.02 for 50fps etc.)
Delta based:
Every step in the games takes however long it's been since the last step

The main problem I have with the delta system currently in use, is that it doesn't limit the time between steps. if you're in line of sight of a turret when you enter a new 'chunk' causing load lag, pretty much game over. If you have a laggy PC (I don't but I play it at school and they're horrid) the gun wobbles like mad and you can't hit anything (slow motion cheat fixes) so it's game over.

Enemby

Post by Enemby » Tue May 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Hexicube wrote:Signed up just to point this out since somehow nobody mentioned this in 10 pages of discussion:
Two dimensional meta-movement, currently the player can either go 'forward' or 'back' in terms of room connection, but I feel like it's easily possible to have rooms connect to 4 other rooms for a much more maze-like structure. Obviously optimisation would be mandatory for this, but this really bugged me with Receiver (more so than the flying droids, which for the record can be 1-hit killed with a shot to the 'face') because it felt really weird to have a building like that.
You'd need more/additional levels as well.

Hexicube

Post by Hexicube » Wed May 15, 2013 9:02 am

Enemby wrote:
Hexicube wrote:Signed up just to point this out since somehow nobody mentioned this in 10 pages of discussion:
You'd need more/additional levels as well.
Yeah, but the same can be said about most suggestions here, the difference is that it's a relatively easy way to make the exploration a lot more interesting.

TideGear

Post by TideGear » Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 pm

I'd like to see...
-The ability to find more magazines on occasion
-When distant but visible, turrets still turn and UAVs still turn and bob. Right now, they're frozen until you're within a certain range.
-Fixing the buggy stairs (the ones that are sometimes difficult to reach the top of)

If there's anything else, I'm not thinking of it!

AgentKlark

Post by AgentKlark » Thu May 23, 2013 9:49 am

I would really like to see hands implemented, I know they designed them for the game but did not implement them. I would like to see it as an option, that way if you like seeing the gun you do not enable hands. But if you want to try something different you enable them. I would really appreciate it if this were implemented. Thank you -AgentKlark