randomness

Anything else
Ragdollmaster

Re: randomness

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 pm

Jaz wrote:They only announced a few actual exclusives, some of their game presentations crashed, and the console itself was revealed... it basically looks like a slanted DVD player. It looks nice but... not great.
Bullshit. They announced plenty. Killzone, inFamous, GT, Driveclub, Knack, The Last Guardian, The Witness, Mad Max, The Order: 1886, and probably a few more that I can't think of off the top of my head. I don't count 9 exclusives as "a few-" given that they all look like quality games and given that many of them have developers with extremely strong histories, they will likely all be very good games. 9 strong first-party titles within the first year of a console's lifespan is an incredible lineup. They've also got plenty of cross-platforms like Watch Dogs, Destiny, Mirror's Edge 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Battlefield 4, Batman Arkham Origins, etc etc. When they did the indie presentation and had 8 separate developers out there showing off independent titles that would at least debut exclusively on PS4, if not stay exclusives, that was a major turning point that showed Sony are very serious about keeping to their promise of supporting indies. (Also, self-publishing, which M$ does not have.) Some interesting support for MMOs and some F2Ps, including but not limited to The Division, Planetside 2, and Warframe. The freezing pretty much only happened on AC4, a cross-platform title.
Jaz wrote:Microsoft certainly reversed on their poor reveal. So I guess Sony and Microsoft are now even in terms of announcement points.
They didn't reverse either on Kinect or DRM policies, which was the breaking point for most people. Those concerned about their privacy are not going to reverse their decision for Halo 5 and Forza. They showed actual games, with most of them cross-platform. Sony and Microsoft are certainly *not* even in terms of announcement points. Microsoft's presentation was entirely neutral- it wasn't bad in any stretch of the word and at least they didn't talk about TV the entire time, but it didn't sell me in the slightest. Given that Sony have had two positive conferences (if nothing else, because of Microsoft's blunders with the used games issue) and have generally built up a large hype train, there is absolutely no way you could consider them even, either objectively or in the public eye. Just go compare the reactions of the audiences in any of Microsoft's announcements with, say, Sony's announcement of used game support.
Jaz wrote:Neither announced much amazingly exciting though, at least for those who are enthusiastic concerning technical details. No detailed specs or actual usages of the consoles(as in, opening the drives, etc)
We've had fairly detailed specs for a while. It's fairly clear the PS4 will be more powerful. It's running a GPU with something like 1.85 TFLOPs of processing power as opposed to One's 1.2 TFLOPs- the GPUs themselves are fairly similar but Sony has the advantage of using 8GB of GDDR5 RAM versus 8GB of DDR3 as Microsoft are doing. Sony's CPU is also slightly better, 8 cores at 2.0ghz each versus Microsoft's 8 cores at 1.6ghz each (both custom AMD units)

tl;dr > Sony's presentation was good. They showed a strong line-up of first-party titles, showed many indie titles, showed plenty of cross-plats, showed they cared about the consumer, and presented a console that is $100 cheaper than the competition's, doesn't go Big Brother on you, has a superior online service for less money (PS+ is truly spectacular and I don't even mind that it is necessary for multiplayer on PS4- and only for multiplayer, not for streaming services the way Gold is), and generally showed that they actually listen to what consumers like and dislike. That's good. Microsoft's presentation was better than what they originally revealed because they focused on games, but they didn't reverse on what people disliked the most- used games and Kinect.

Not that I'm not a fanboy, but there is plenty of objective support for why Sony was the clear-cut winner in the presentations. And hey, if nothing else? These conferences are all about drawing in public support. If you look at surveys done last night or today, asking if people are planning on getting the PS4 or XBO, or if you look at comments and places like reddit.com/r/gaming, it is clear that the public overwhelmingly supports PS4 at this point. That may not be permanent and there will likely be a silent majority that will mean the sales themselves will not be a massive landslide, but it is clear who appealed more to their consumer base between the two, and that's simply unarguable, unless you're an M$ fanboy.

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:38 pm

I really hate it when mommy and daddy fight with each other.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:02 pm

GO TO YOUR ROOM

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:59 am

Just gonna put.... this.... heeeerrrreeee.......

Rewjeo

Post by Rewjeo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:13 pm

I don't know how anyone could say that Sony and Microsoft are on equal footing now. All I've seen on the internet is gifs of Sony beating up Microsoft.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Relevant

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:54 am

Rewjeo wrote:I don't know how anyone could say that Sony and Microsoft are on equal footing now. All I've seen on the internet is gifs of Sony beating up Microsoft.
Because some of us have actually checked all of the news.

Not that many of the potential consumers actually go around the internet posting gifs.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:00 am

Fascinating, enlighten me to "all the news" that I missed while you continue to ignore the rebuttal before you.

Oh, and I'll just leave this here.

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Wow that video I posted? Apparently that was the response to all the bashing made by ps4 fans.

So people think xbone is shit, bash microsoft for it so microsoft comes and tells people not to buy their new amazing tits xbone but stick with the shitty old outdated xbox360. Sounds like a pretty stupid move by microsoft.

But again, I'm more of a bystander. I'm probably not gonna buy either.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Fascinating, enlighten me to "all the news" that I missed while you continue to ignore the rebuttal before you.

Oh, and I'll just leave this here.
Ahahaha
Some stupid motherfuckers actually bought that piece of garbage. Hat's off to you MS. You've managed to disillusion up the most devoted core of fanboys I've ever seen.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Jaz wrote:moomoohk, contrary to Ragdoll's blind fanboyism-corrupted statement, Sony's presentation was pretty dull. They only announced a few actual exclusives, some of their game presentations crashed, and the console itself was revealed... it basically looks like a slanted DVD player. It looks nice but... not great.
Not to rain on your parade, but I didn't see Ragdollmaster's comment a being corrupted by fanboyism, I saw it as being influenced by well-made decisions by Sony. If anything you sound like you're fanboying on Microsoft by getting bitter and defensive over a simple statement of preference. What he said wasn't anything that hasn't been said by the vast majority of the gaming industry already. Sony really have just gotten one-up on Microsoft for the foreseeable future, at least until Microsoft changes its policies or some further developments happen. Sony might fuck it up themselves. For the moment though, the ball is in Sony's court.

To be honest I could give less of a shit about exclusives. Whatever either console has I'm sure there'll be some games I'll play on both of them. What really speaks to me is the support to consumers from either end. I have both a PS3 and an XBox 360. What I've seen from that time is that Sony gives you a bit more bang for your buck in exchange for your loyalty. PS+ is a good example. The amount of free games me and my housemate have gotten to play over the last couple of months (in exchange for 15 euro, which gets you 3 months) is borderline insane. I'd wager that, from what I've experienced from it, it provides better value than the best of the Steam sales.

Also, I don't know what presumption you have about you being the only one to see "the news" about the consoles (however vague "the news" actually sounds), but openly declaring that everyone else is less-informed than you is a pretty shitty way to continue a discussion.

I've never been a fanboy of either console. I bought the 360 first when I was much younger because I wanted to play the Halo games. Since then the Halo series has decided to be unimpressive.

It's the little things, like Sony allow indie dev's to self-publish whereas Microsoft do not. And Sony have no charge for any dev's releasing patches for their games, whereas Microsoft require you to shell out $40,000. Then of course we have the open support for sharing games with friends. I never liked Microsoft since that one time I tried to bring my Red Dead Nightmare DLC on my hard drive over to my friend's house to play it, and I realised I wasn't allowed to play the content, which I had bought, at someone else's house on another console. I could understand not being allowed to download it on someone else's console, but that's a different story. Then I also couldn't play it if I wasn't connected to XBox Live...even though it was on my hard drive...already downloaded...not streaming from the internet.

So Sony have just left a better impression on me. I mostly used the XBox 360 in the last 5 years over the PS3, but I think I'll be getting a PS4 if I'm getting either of the next-gen consoles.

What also irked me is how you were criticising the aesthetic look of the console. In all honesty, and I'm going to be brash for a second here, who ACTUALLY fucking cares?

Also, in case you say it again, yes I have seen "the news". Whatever that is.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:34 pm

moomoohk wrote:Just gonna put.... this.... heeeerrrreeee.......
[youtube][/youtube]
Lol copyright claim.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:48 pm

akazi

Post by akazi » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:19 am

That has to be the best one so far. :lol:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:35 am

That is hands down the best interpretive gif I've seen so far.