When did Overgrowth pick up the Internet People?

Anything else
Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: When did Overgrowth pick up the Internet People?

Post by Constance » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:54 pm

Vespabros wrote:This thread you've created is irrelevant, uninformative, and just plain stupid. You know what? I think "internet people" make better posts than this on the daily. Get down off the pedestal. Before you criticize anyone, why don't you back up your worth?
This.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Pengwertle wrote:Bye, have fun with your memes, and I hope you're all able to fit enough insults into your replies to make yourselves feel superior. Be sure to squeeze in a few homophobic comments as well. If you regularly do all of that, you're an Internet Person. If you don't, I'm sorry, I may be contaminated if I stay here.
You're a retard and we're so much better than you. Go suck a dick, faggot.

On a serious note,
Vespabros wrote:This thread you've created is irrelevant, uninformative, and just plain stupid. You know what? I think "internet people" make better posts than this on the daily. Get down off the pedestal. Before you criticize anyone, why don't you back up your worth?
This, x400.
Last edited by AmorphousGamer on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 pm

AmorphousGamer wrote:
Pengwertle wrote:Bye, have fun with your memes, and I hope you're all able to fit enough insults into your replies to make yourselves feel superior. Be sure to squeeze in a few homophobic comments as well. If you regularly do all of that, you're an Internet Person. If you don't, I'm sorry, I may be contaminated if I stay here.
It's very, very hard to motivate sarcasm via text without purple text. I learned a while ago that indicates sarcasm.
Or someone is just fucking with me.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Timbles wrote:
AmorphousGamer wrote:
It's very, very hard to motivate sarcasm via text without purple text. I learned a while ago that indicates sarcasm.
Or someone is just fucking with me.
I thought what I said next kind of indicated I was screwing around, but fixed either way.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:44 am

When I joined this forum, the people here were rude, and there were very few interesting things in here. There was only Randomness.

Every now and then, a person would join who starts a nice and interesting thread about e.g. game development, or about art, or whatever. Some of them posted amazing artwork or nice essays, and got featured on the Wolfire blog.

Of course, many of the people who are active here are still the same people. It's all about context - the people writing clever posts here might still write stupid Youtube comments. They've decided this is a forum where they want to take things slightly more seriously.

Also, I really hope this purple text = sarcasm thing catches on. Can you guys imagine Renegade Turner popping back in and doing his thing? :mrgreen:

Saedz

Post by Saedz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:00 am

Requesting this thread to be moved in the Randomness section

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:23 am

Saedz wrote:Requesting this thread to be moved in the Randomness section
I second this.

Vespabros

Post by Vespabros » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:49 am

AmorphousGamer wrote:
Saedz wrote:Requesting this thread to be moved in the Randomness section
I second this.
Agreed.

Pengwertle

Post by Pengwertle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:25 am

I thank everyone for the metaphorical slap in the face. You've snapped me out of it.

Yup, you're right. All of you. I made a mistake. So, in order to redeem this thread, how about we talk about when you all started seeing more new people come in, when you saw overgrowth getting mentioned in discussions, etc. Should be interesting.

I apologize. I try to keep thoughts like this pent up, but I decided to read the comments on a Youtube video about a vlogger revealing that he was gay. I think I've been scarred. Oh, that's it. In defense of myself, I claim that Youtube comments drove me insane and caused me to post this :P

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:16 am

I haven't really had Overgrowth come up in a discussion I haven't started. :D Many of the people I mention it to have already heard about it, though.

A big factor for Overgrowth's popularity was the blog, back when it was updated daily, and then the alpha updates, back when they were weekly. Those gathered enough attention to do Overgrowth and Humble Bundle and all that. Putting out enough content to keep your fans in, having the content be good enough to get new fans every time it's mentioned. It adds up, especially when it happens daily for a year.

Darklon

Post by Darklon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:59 am

Because "internet people" pay good money.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:24 am

I'm asking because I'm genuinely uncertain, but is purple text indicating sarcasm a joke that cropped up because I used to be a snarky sarcastic bastard, or is there another reason?

Also, the OP of this thread is hilarious. I am genuinely perplexed. It made me want to revert-to-troll for a moment, but I've resisted the urge. Rather odd how he went on the defensive and started encouraging people to throw homophobic tirades at him before anyone had even insulted him. Sorry for necro-ing an old thread.

In terms of when most of the new people started cropping up, the humble bundles have really injected some awareness into the masses about this little corner of the 'net anyway. I'm really astounded by their success and mainstream news attention. I always thought it was a good idea, but never really figured it would get this big.

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:53 pm

You probably remember this thread.

Either way, the forums surely have changed since the time of the first Humble Bundle. It's been quite a while though and something about correlation and causation. Digging through the "How did you find out about Overgrowth?"-topic in the SPF might provide some additional insights.

~ Black
A good friend will bail you out of jail and lecture you about how you messed up. A great friend will be sitting right next to you laughing about it saying "damn, we really screwed up!"

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:47 pm

I think that the purple text thing is becoming a thing now more because of this.
But that thread is hilarious.

By the way guys, I'm not gay.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I'm asking because I'm genuinely uncertain, but is purple text indicating sarcasm a joke that cropped up because I used to be a snarky sarcastic bastard, or is there another reason?
I was annoyed by your purple text and another forum I frequent used blue as the sarcasm color, so I tried to popularize purple as the sarcasm-color here. :wink: So yeah, it is indeed a little joke aimed at you.