WORM - a violent superheroine feeds you wasps

Anything else
Endoperez

WORM - a violent superheroine feeds you wasps

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 am

I've been reading an amazing piece of web-fiction for the last few weeks. It's called WORM: the story of capes. It's about superheroics in a crappy world. Meet Taylor, the protagonist:

She is in school. She is being bullied, bad. She needs to let off some steam, and as it happens she has a superpower, and she's been itching to become a superhero, to save lives and help people and stop bad guys. Unfortunately for her, she thinks of bad guys as "bullies", and she doesn't want to make the mistakes that let to her being bullied in school - you can never show weakness, you can never back down, you can never let a bully win... the gist is, she tends to go too far.

Taylor is the one doing the kicking.

The black spots? Bugs. Her bugs. They're under her control. They do whatever she wants them to. If the thought of bugs swarming over you, swarming into you, biting and stinging the insides of your ears and mouth and nose is too much, don't read this, because that's the second simplest thing her bugs do.

The simplest thing? She knows where the bugs are. There is a bug on your room, a small one, another few inside the walls, perhaps one in your window. What does that mean? She knows the walls, the window, and the small one just landed on you, and she knows where you are. The same is true for every room, every person within her range.

She's not a powerhouse. She's clever. Intelligent. That lame power of "I can sense and control bugs" becomes scary and badass.

Oh, and the world the story takes place in has been ending for a few decades. There's these monsters that appear two-three times a year, and every time they appear they've broken and destroyed things. They've broken humans, broken cities, broken some islands. Poor Japan. The regular supervillains, in comparison, are just mobsters who at most threaten one city at a time. Pity there are worse things out there than the "regular" supervillains. Like Slaughterhouse 9. You know they're in town because all the glass just exploded into shrapnel that tried to kill you, including glasses on your head, mobile phones in your pocket, your computer screen... One of the 9 likes hogging the attention like that.

Worm is dark, violent, the violence is described in a very physical way, it's well written, there's lots of text, it's AWESOME. It's a long read. It has (as of mid-May 2013) reached an excess of 1,150,000 words; roughly 9-20 typical novels in length. It's still updating, regular updates on Tuesdays and Saturdays, specials on Thursdays.

For anyone who didn't know about it, WORM starts here. You can thank me later, after you're read a bit.

If there is already someone here who knows about it - COOL! The latest chapters have been awesome, but lets keep it in spoiler boxes, because spoilers.

Endoperez

Re: WORM - a violent superheroine feeds you wasps

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Aww, isn't anyone else interested in reading this? Or reading, period. :(

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:12 am

actually my problem is that I'm addicted now, I'm up to parasite 10.4 now, I was tempted to call you rude words for tricking me into reading this and eating up my spare time. seriously, I've been staying up too late to read this and meaning to post something here but haven't managed to make myself do other things while at the computer.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:20 am

Count Roland wrote:actually my problem is that I'm addicted now, I'm up to parasite 10.4 now, I was tempted to call you rude words for tricking me into reading this and eating up my spare time. seriously, I've been staying up too late to read this and meaning to post something here but haven't managed to make myself do other things while at the computer.
Hahaha! That EXACT same thing happened to me. I read through it all at an unhealthy speed.

You know, one part of this story I really appreciate is the psychological issues these characters have. You get to read about how an insane person does things. It can be quite scary. Heh heh. I know where you are reading. :twisted:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Ooooh boy... Shit just hit the fan. And by that mean that someone is now up the shit creek with no paddle. And by someone I mean everyone. And by shit creek I mean the whole damn Nile. Powers based on little-known Egyptian deities are bad news...

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:20 pm

man I haven't really checked it in like a week, I guess there's probably a few new pages.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Haha, did you hear that everyone?
He thinks we read.
BAHAHAHAHA
faget

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:40 pm

As you read this I've already won, and made you read.

If you meant books, well, just ask Roland, poor Count Roland, who I tricked into reading about a dozen books' worth of text with this thread.
[+] Theory about future stuff
This latest chapter mentioned that a specific trigger event might cause the end of the world. There is a named character who is likely to trigger, who might become a target, and who will be of an interesting age around the time end of the world. That, of course, would be Golem's sister.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:26 am

So I'm pretty sure my mom's just weaver grown old or something. Today she got hornets to clean the grill for her, they were all clustered around scraping bits off and flying off with them. Also she once told me that her pet worms (she has a worm farm) turned to cannibalism.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:22 am

Wow, that's cool and amazing! :D

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:45 am

Sarcasm's cooler and more amazing! :D

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:01 pm

No, I meant that. It's cool thing to have happened, and the image of a retired Skitter hanging around doing chores with bugs is amazing. Also, if I say something sarcastic, I mark it with some color so people know to be wary. Like purple. I mean, can you imagine anyone just randomyly using purple text? No one could take it seriously.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:53 am

ah well, I can never tell, I just never hear anyone seriously describe something as cool and amazing. now I feel like one of those people with a persecution complex. In other news we might as well just relabel this thread as Endoperez and Count Roland's private chat.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:20 am

Yeah, seems so.

Also. About Worm. Here's the plot in a nutshell:

A girl with a superpower ends up in a criminal gang. Then it got worse. Then it got worse. Then it got worse. Then it got worse. Then it got worse. Then the world was ending. Then it got worse. Then it got worse. Then it got worse. Then it got worse. Then it got worse. Then it got worse.

I also listened (=read, but it's an audiobook) to another superhero story a few days ago. It wasn't as well written, but it also had some interesting ideas. The main protagonist is a 25-to-30-something woman who owns a bar. The bar is frequented by those people who have powers that aren't good for crimefighting. For example, no one can steal anything from the protagonist. One of the guys there can shoot beams of stuff from his hands at great force, but the "stuff" is shit and excrement. The barmaid can balance a plate or serving tray perfectly, and never drops the beers.
http://www.podiobooks.com/title/playing-for-keeps

As the story goes on they come up with some interesting variations on those powers. Still, compared to Worms, it just doesn't compare.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:50 am

Aaaaaaaah! tHERE'S a new chapter, and it not only got worse.... it was revealed that everything had been worse all along!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH......