Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:16 am

Someone here is an extreme gorefan…

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:24 pm

HAHAHA!!!
Not that much...but I find it amusing.
Really I was trying to make fun of Dead or Alive Beach Ball and Lugaru at the same time...

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:05 pm

Gore, the thing that is really rather misunderstod; some people ignore it, dismissing it as the little red pixels on your screen that it really is, others relish it, bringing up their wild side, and about 5%-15% of them are changed in any way :P

Well, something like that, at least I know I dismiss gore as if it is normal for the occasional severed head to go flying past your window :lol:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:50 pm

Maybe they shouldn't be questioning whether video games are making people violent (which is bullshit), but whether or not video games are making people emotionally indifferent (which there is certain evidence to suggest).

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:07 pm

Yes, though hopefully most people would know the difference between severed heads flying across your screen and being hit in the face by a real severed head :wink:

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:05 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:Yes, though hopefully most people would know the difference between severed heads flying across your screen and being hit in the face by a real severed head :wink:
Knowing that it isn't real doesn't keep you from being desensitized.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:23 pm

Personally, I blame movies rather than video games. I can't really comment since I am completely desensitized, but I feel like watching a graphic movie like Lord of War is much more "damaging" than kicking a stripper in GTA or stabbing someone in Lugaru.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:48 pm

Jeff wrote:Personally, I blame movies rather than video games. I can't really comment since I am completely desensitized, but I feel like watching a graphic movie like Lord of War is much more "damaging" than kicking a stripper in GTA or stabbing someone in Lugaru.
I agree, however the argument could be made that games cause more desensitization. since most of the violence in a game is perpetrated by the player him/herself.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:54 pm

In my opinion, the graphic games and movies show how desensitized the target audience already was when the product was made.

So... The desensitization (?) took place before the product even came out and will not grow significantly because you're playing it - you bought it, so you already are desensitized.

Games usually do not make us reach a border. In my life, I just had a few games that made me say 'wait a second... isn't that almost too much?' until I got used to it. Resident Evil 2 was such a game, the Hitman series was another one (because it's so insanely merciless), SoF on the other hand wasn't such a game, as well as Doom 3.

It's kind of a vicious circle if you see it in large numbers of consumers. You reach a certain 'dullness', a game fits, you buy it, increase your 'dullness' a little bit, reach the level for a gorier game etc. The big mass though doesn't have 'slowdowns' in dullness growth, it's basically a linear function for obvious reasons.

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:10 pm

Knowing that it isn't real doesn't keep you from being desensitized.

Yes it does.

I grew up on violent videogames. The Chainsaw in Doom was only the beginning. I enjoyed video game violence. I saw my brother play Phantasmagoria when I was young -- FMV of twisted, psychotic and explicit violence. It gave me bad dreams, but overall I was okay.

Then one day, in the middle of Animaniacs, the channel interrupted the show with a breaking news story of some guy staked out on the freeway. In front of a live camera, the guy laid out a tarp that said something along the lines of "Don't trust HMOs", then went into his truck, grabbed a shotgun, and blew his own head off.

The cameras, being live, did not cut away.

I saw a man die on live television. I was stunned and shocked and sickened, and I literally felt physically ill.
And I remember all I could think was that I had no idea the human body had so much blood in it.

I had nightmares for weeks, and I felt sick every time I remembered that guy.

And here I was supposed to be 'jaded'.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:35 pm

Ok... :shock:

Yes, that definately does put some perspective into the difference between real and on-screen, and it'll stay that way until someone develops a to-the-exact-colour and to-the-exact-shape virtual reality headset that you don't realise you're wearing, etc

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:46 pm

Vib Rib wrote:Knowing that it isn't real doesn't keep you from being desensitized.

Yes it does.

I grew up on violent videogames. The Chainsaw in Doom was only the beginning. I enjoyed video game violence. I saw my brother play Phantasmagoria when I was young -- FMV of twisted, psychotic and explicit violence. It gave me bad dreams, but overall I was okay.

Then one day, in the middle of Animaniacs, the channel interrupted the show with a breaking news story of some guy staked out on the freeway. In front of a live camera, the guy laid out a tarp that said something along the lines of "Don't trust HMOs", then went into his truck, grabbed a shotgun, and blew his own head off.

The cameras, being live, did not cut away.

I saw a man die on live television. I was stunned and shocked and sickened, and I literally felt physically ill.
And I remember all I could think was that I had no idea the human body had so much blood in it.

I had nightmares for weeks, and I felt sick every time I remembered that guy.

And here I was supposed to be 'jaded'.
Or perhaps you would have been even more disturbed by seeing that if you hadn't already been somewhat numbed by violent images in movies and games.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:59 pm

What's wrong with being desensitized anyways?

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:38 am

zip wrote:Or perhaps you would have been even more disturbed by seeing that if you hadn't already been somewhat numbed by violent images in movies and games.
Perhaps.

But I doubt it.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:40 am

Alert: Even the topic-starter isn't noticing that this is beginning to go off topic :shock: :P