My foray into the world of skinning and map-making

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
fallintothis

My foray into the world of skinning and map-making

Post by fallintothis » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:54 pm

I...am vengeance.

I am the night!

I am...

BATMAN! *theme music starts up* Dum DUM dum duuuum!

(rabbit-batman? rabbat-man? whatever)

Yes, it is a set of skins/maps I've been working on for the past...like, month or something. My first ever! :D I'm not sure if it's all that challenging or good, but I hope they're fun and interesting at any rate.
I hope I don't embarrass myself by giving out the map pack and overlooking some detail or other. >_< But, I THINK it should be alright. Just remember that Batman's cape is in the laundry right now.

I arranged the maps into a campaign file, but beware: it's NOT a full fledged campaign! I only split up a couple of levels for continuity reasons. That, and it's cool to incorporate a map of Gotham City. Here are the different levels:

Riddler's Deadly Chess Match!

The Riddler has challenged Batman to a life-or-death game of chess! He digitizes you into his virtual reality world and the game ensues (gotta love the technology in comic books). Fight the digital pawns, rooks, bishops, knights, and, of course, The Riddler.

Trivial trivia: on the campaign map the match takes place at Brentwood Academy, a private high school once attended by Tim Drake (the third Robin).

Gotham Art Museum (The Joker)

The clown prince of crime, aka The Joker, has stolen Batman's utility belt! Drop down on his lackeys and bust the Joker, but beware: you have no batarangs. But what's this?

As soon as you pound Joker, his traps set off fires all throughout the building! Navigate your way through the flames and ruins in order to find the henchman he's attached your utility belt to.

Trivial Trivia: I couldn't find an official Gotham museum name anywhere. But there's gotta be at least one museum in Gotham City, right?

Dixon Docks (Two-Face)

Two-Face and his mob are carrying out some suspicious activities at the docks. Probably cocaine (hell, the level is set in the midst of a whole buncha white powder). Good ol' fashioned beat 'em up! (Moreover, good ol' fashioned lack of inspiration for the level)

Trivial Trivia: The Dixon Docks are named after Batman writer Chuck Dixon.

- - -

And that's it for now. I think I'm going to have to give Lugaru a break for a few days. @_@ At any rate, please provide any feedback you can. Here's the download link from my age-old angelfire account: http://angelfire.com/electronic2/411i3j9/Batman_Mod.zip

Edit: Curses! Stupid Angelfire. Should've known they wouldn't allow off-site linking. Let's see if this works: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/41 ... atman.html

Trivial trivia for the bored:

1 ) Some might recognize that the Joker's outfit kind of looks like the tuxedo skin I made; that's because I was initially working on the Joker and turned it into a tux for the person who requested it. :P

2 ) I realize that I should've worked on making the skies look like they were night time, but there were two problems with that. a) I was being lazy and was already stressing over a bunch of other details (think: having to change the colors of the rabbit tails; stuff as annoying as that). ii) It's not as easy to see the skins when the sky is darkened, and I feel that the skins are the best part of this project (though Batman could use some work -- he was the first I made).

3 ) There's one set of clothing in there aptly titled "DominatrixRedux." I named it as such because while messing around with the various stages of my Batman skin, I noticed that typing "noclothes" then putting on all the leather items made for a dominatrix effect. "Redux" simply because there's so much more to be done there. Stay tuned for my full-fledged dominatrix skin! Haha. :P Also, it's convenient if you just want the leather-y parts of batman's outfit, as in the Joker levels -- just throw on the tights and the leather with two commands and he no longer has his utility belt. :D

4 ) "Good God, another one?!" Yes, just one more -- I promise. Here's a funny screenshot of one of my Joker tests: http://i1.tinypic.com/20fcp6c.jpg

Silb
Master cartographer

Re: My foray into the world of skinning and map-making

Post by Silb » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:13 pm

Whoa!
This is novel.
All skins look really great. My favourite is Twoface's.

Also, I like how the patrol path of each chess piece is in accordance with the rules :)
fallintothis wrote:2 ) I realize that I should've worked on making the skies look like they were night time, but there were two problems with that. a) I was being lazy and was already stressing over a bunch of other details (think: having to change the colors of the rabbit tails; stuff as annoying as that). ii) It's not as easy to see the skins when the sky is darkened, and I feel that the skins are the best part of this project (though Batman could use some work -- he was the first I made).
I propose this: file. It's my mountain terrain skybox - just with different colours. I think it's completely over-the-top, like it should be (picture). :)

fallintothis

Re: My foray into the world of skinning and map-making

Post by fallintothis » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:32 pm

Silb, you're my hero. (Did I just say that? Haha).

That is EXACTLY the effect I wanted, but better than I envisioned in my mind. :shock: Freaking seriously. Thank you SO much, it's perfect (and saves me the trouble of more image editing >_> ).

I'm updating the mod now. :D Thanks again.

Anyone with improvements feel free to contribute. :)

Also: Haha, yeah that's the idea with the chess pieces. I'm a fan of chess, though not terribly good against anyone who actually wants to play against me. :P

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:56 am

That is really cool :) One of my friends is a big Lugaru fan and a big Batman fan, so this should go over well!

Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:42 pm

Nice work. How long did that take you to complete?

I liked the Two-Face one as well.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:22 pm

Nice, just played it. The fire scene was excellent. :)

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:12 pm

Fun stuff, especially the chess level -- too bad I kept falling off :P

Nice job :)

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:07 pm

Very nice set of maps...the texture work if great

fallintothis

Post by fallintothis » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Many thanks to everyone. :) After managing to take a break from Lugaru for... Lesse, carry the two, divided by the square root of pi, anti-differentiate accordingly ...half a day, I settled on the skins I'll work on developing next.

In the works are:

Bane (should be pretty easy)
Mr. Freeze
Scarecrow

And still others that I want to work on in the future. I'm going to try keeping up this "batch of three" thing.

Can anyone tell that I'm avoiding the females? Somehow I just don't think a rabbit could pull off the "seductive Poison Ivy/Catwoman" thing...though Batgirl could work.

There are quite a few Batman villains to keep this map pack going, so I'll keep working on additions until I go crazy, stop caring, run out of interesting villains, die, or what-have-you. And hey, with others working on skins like The Flash, we could get the Justice League going here! Haha.

I'm also near completion on one other unrelated campaign which I abondoned to do the Batman Mod, though no skins for it at least. Now, just have to figure out the accursed dialogues...or at least try to employ someone else to do them for me lest I injur something. @_@ Hehe.

And before I go:
Nazgul11 wrote:How long did that take you to complete?
As mentioned in the initial post, about a month. Going over my memory, it's probably been closer to three weeks -- certainly feels longer though. I did the skins first, which took around two weeks total. After Batman, I did Joker which took me the longest. But once I got down the different image editing techniques and such, the others flew by in about a day each. Finally, it took me about a week to put the maps together (most of it was planning, ironing out some details, improving/making certain skins such as the henchmen, and of course being lazy :P).