Graphics vs. Gameplay

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Graphics vs. Gameplay

Post by MacWiggy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:31 pm

Do you think Lugaru 2 should have mind-blowing, beautiful graphics BUT gameplay relatively the same to Lugaru 1, or Graphics that are about the same, and crazy awesome updated Combat systems and engine. (and laser-wolverines?)

I'm not adding a poll, because "y/n" doesn't quite define the topic.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:17 pm

If I had to choose, I'd rather have Lugaru's familiar gameplay with the next generation animation, new models, etc. I am skeptical about your crazy awesome updated combat system.

In reality, I would prefer to stick with the current plan: amazing new graphics as well as improved gameplay.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:30 pm

I'm with Jeff. Animations and graphics being vastly improved along with significant (but not "crazy awesome") improvements to the gameplay. This is partially because I see much more room/need for improvement in the graphics and animations. David has a team behind him on L2 helping with the graphics, unlike (for the most part) L1; this alone should tell you that the graphics will take a leap forward. Just like in L1, the L2 engine (Phoenix) is being programmed almost entirely by David, and not with the team behind the graphics, so this portion will recieve a similiar type of attention as it did in L1; that being said, David does know alot more now and is capable of making (and will make) a game with significantly better gameplay than L1. I am gonna end abruptly because i only have 1 more minute on break... L2 is going to be a different type of game than L1 in many ways. It is planned to be a more open world game, so even outside of combat the gameplay is changing.

I might edit this later, who knows....I do have more to say.

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:25 pm

To answer the question, I would go with the improved gameplay but I'm going to have to echo Bob and Jeff here. No matter how much I or Sectaurs, or the awesome guys working on music want to, there is absolutely nothing we can do to help with the coding. So it's a given that we are going to use our talants to make the game better in the ways we can (ie, music and art)

On L2, David is focusing exclusively on the code and Jeff is working on code now too. A lot of the code, especially for combat, is new stuff that has never been done before. Figuring it out is hard work and takes time. How much time? Nobody knows because it has never been done.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:53 pm

I do see what you're talking about, but what about that concept illustration blog awhile back that talked about adding armor on to your armor, (clothes!) and all the custom cool combat stuff. When are we gonna see that brought to life? Or is it just one of those showroom Hotrods that only looks shiny when its on display?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:09 pm

You'll see it when we have it in a presentable form. We're not holding out on you.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:16 pm

Ahh yes, that would be the all sorts of non-combat improvements. And thus, will probably get done after all the basic stuff is (like normal mapping, anti-aliasing, that stuff). But uh, I see what you're getting at. There have been all these really cool ideas that haven't been introduced into other games yet, (I'm personally really liking the 3-d inventory) we'll just have to assume that all that will eventually be put in. Other than that... yup, that's it then, first the engine, then the gameplay, we'll see hot it all unfolds. Exciting isn't it?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:56 pm

We've had the core of this discussion quite often here on the forums. It all gets down to David's decision. Due to the immense number of suggestions the forum users posted, it's quite tricky not to mix up the actual planned content with what the forum dwellers dream about.

Back to your question: I definitely want incredible stunning graphics since that's a big leap for Wolfire Software. I wouldn't mind paying 20 bucks for a game that has the gameplay of Lugaru 1 with graphics like those we see on the blog.

But that's not going to happen, the combat system, physics and environmental gameplay will be on a new level. The editor will become useable. There will be internet gaming. We will see plants, buildings, water, new animals, new weapons, furniture and such. The levels are going to be way bigger and interesting. We will have to face more enemies and the neutral people will be more responsive.

This is not gameplay relatively the same to Lugaru 1, but better, and knowing this, I'm looking forward to it anyway :D

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:37 am

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Back up the truck! INTERNET GAMING? Friggin' sweet! will that be like type in port to play one-one? or MMORPG?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:02 am

We don't know yet, that's why I was using such a general term. We only have indications of this in Jeff's and David's posts.

MMO is not what Lugaru 2 is going to be though, that's pretty certain since there are numerous dementi by the two in here. It wouldn't really fit to the game anyway.

You're free to post suggestions though, preferably in this huge thread 8)

Edit: One thing that probably will be there is an online highscore list, fed through the wolfire.net servers and updating as you play. Jeff made that statement somewhere, I'm not in the mood to look up where he said that but you could search yourself in here.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:58 pm

MacWiggy wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa! Back up the truck! INTERNET GAMING? Friggin' sweet! will that be like type in port to play one-one? or MMORPG?
Definitely not MMORPG. Do you remember Bungie.net? That is what Lugaru 2 multiplayer (with Wolfire.Net) will be like, but of course a lot better thanks to PhoenixUI and some new ideas.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:05 pm

Only sane people would make the engine and graphics before making the game. That only makes sense. How else could you make something when there are nothing to test the gameplay with?

champrjk

eh

Post by champrjk » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:29 pm

I would prefer a little of both. But if i had to choose one over the other i would choose more options and graphics over the gameplay.

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:40 am

I'm surprised that MacWiggy hasn't earned himself a custom title. I can think of a few myself...

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:35 pm

He has earned an even more difficult to achieve "honor": the inability to post on these forums.