Weapon Additions - Updated Feb. 15th 2014 (Discontinued)

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Weapon Additions - Updated Nov. 16th

Post by Constance » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:26 pm

lamekupo wrote:
Josh707 wrote:-penetration stuff-
Okay, I'm gonna have to re-read Josh's post...

castiglione

Post by castiglione » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:36 am

I'd just like to say great mod!

I know the bolt-action rifle is a place holder and I'm sure someone else has probably mentioned this and this will probably be "fixed" but currently, you can use a flashlight while aiming the rifle.

I like all the new fire-arms; it's taking me a while to get used to using the shotgun and the rifle. One thing about the rifle is that it seems to be out of its element in Receiver. The shotgun and the submachine gun are deadly at close range in the game which is where a lot of the shooting happens but I was wondering if there was a way to "balance" out the rifle by giving it a scope. That way, it would be able to better shoot at targets from long range while still being cumbersome at close range. However, I imagine this might swing things too far in the other direction since at long range, the drones don't seem to be aware of you and just sit there.

castiglione

Post by castiglione » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:48 am

Odd "bug" due to disappearing brass...shoot a bunch of rounds with your revolver...and if you wait long enough, you don't even need to empty the spent brass since it disappears.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:37 am

lamekupo wrote:M1928 Thompson sights with the peephole rear sight flipped down.

This screenshot by the way, is from the RO2: Rising Storm. I have exactly zero experience working with models, but would it be possible to use the RO2 model? Or is the polygon count too high? Or other considerations?
Haha oh geez I completely forgot about RO2, I do have Rising Storm so I can get the audio files I think, but I'm not sure about the model! It all depends on what format it's in, and if that format is compatible with Unity or Blender. I never bothered to try their models but if they do work, then there's plenty of bolt-action rifles and semi-autos I could use! I'm not sure if they have all the internal parts modeled though, but I'll give it a try.
lamekupo wrote:
Josh707 wrote:-penetration stuff-
Cool! I look forward to seeing with what you come up with. It'll be fun to play with such a realistic and complex damage model. The possibilities are nearly endless.
Yeah, it's fun to just mess around with the values. I made a bit of progress yesterday with penetration, I've gotten it to take velocity and angle into account for depth so now it acts a little more realistic, but should use mass as well. The values still need tweaking but it's getting there, in real life the penetration takes the metal deformation into account as well so I can't make it completely realistic, and I'm not sure just how far certain calibers can penetrate this metal, especially 12 gauge buckshot...

The Debug.DrawLine function lets me visualize all the linecasts so here's an example of the penetration so far:
[+] image
castiglione wrote:I'd just like to say great mod!

I know the bolt-action rifle is a place holder and I'm sure someone else has probably mentioned this and this will probably be "fixed" but currently, you can use a flashlight while aiming the rifle.

I like all the new fire-arms; it's taking me a while to get used to using the shotgun and the rifle. One thing about the rifle is that it seems to be out of its element in Receiver. The shotgun and the submachine gun are deadly at close range in the game which is where a lot of the shooting happens but I was wondering if there was a way to "balance" out the rifle by giving it a scope. That way, it would be able to better shoot at targets from long range while still being cumbersome at close range. However, I imagine this might swing things too far in the other direction since at long range, the drones don't seem to be aware of you and just sit there.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm a somewhat lazy person so I didn't bother disabling the flashlight with it yet, but it will be done eventually!

I feel the same about the rifle, I mean it works but it isn't nearly as effective as any of the other guns. I already have a few scope and EOTech models, I can use the same render texture technique as in the range for the scope lens, so a scope/sight is really simple to add. I actually tried it out before with the other placeholder rifle and it made it near impossible to aim at robots at close range, but then again that model didn't have iron sights.
I'm thinking a low power scope would be ideal, maybe 1.5x zoom just to help a little for longer distances. Before I consider adding anything else I'm going to finish what I have, but I will keep that in mind!

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:51 am

castiglione wrote:Odd "bug" due to disappearing brass...shoot a bunch of rounds with your revolver...and if you wait long enough, you don't even need to empty the spent brass since it disappears.
Oh yeah I figured nobody would wait long enough to empty those rounds, but I planned on fixing that eventually. Not sure how to check if it's in the chamber but it's on my list of things to fix!

johndoeAU92

Post by johndoeAU92 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:31 am

i love your mod. however.... would it be possible to include my favorite handgun of all time? The luger P08? it would be amazing for receiver i think.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:06 pm

johndoeAU92 wrote:i love your mod. however.... would it be possible to include my favorite handgun of all time? The luger P08? it would be amazing for receiver i think.
Glad to hear that! It might be possible, but the way the arm thing moves would be hard to replicate with code rather than animations, as Receiver uses none. I don't think I'd be able to make it!

castiglione

Post by castiglione » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:29 am

Just a minor nit but I don't think the TT1933 has a safety, at least not in the same sense that the 1911 has one.

ArgenGuy

Post by ArgenGuy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:28 am

castiglione wrote:Just a minor nit but I don't think the TT1933 has a safety, at least not in the same sense that the 1911 has one.
Originally, yes, the closest thing to safety in a TT33 was putting the hammer in half-cock, but in a lot of these pistols they added a thumb safety so they can get imported to USA.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:51 pm

castiglione wrote:Just a minor nit but I don't think the TT1933 has a safety, at least not in the same sense that the 1911 has one.
ArgenGuy wrote:Originally, yes, the closest thing to safety in a TT33 was putting the hammer in half-cock, but in a lot of these pistols they added a thumb safety so they can get imported to USA.
Hmm... Yeah I wasn't sure but I can change it, should I keep the safety or no?

castiglione

Post by castiglione » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:21 pm

I'd say ditch the safety.

I think the import models of the TT1933 9 (which had the safety) were 9 mm P since the 7.62 mm round for which it was originally chambered could punch through body armor. If it's a 9 mm P pistol, there's not much point in having it since there already is a 9 mm P pistol in the game.

This is, assuming that there's some differentiation in the different calibers in the game.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:42 pm

castiglione wrote:I'd say ditch the safety.

I think the import models of the TT1933 9 (which had the safety) were 9 mm P since the 7.62 mm round for which it was originally chambered could punch through body armor. If it's a 9 mm P pistol, there's not much point in having it since there already is a 9 mm P pistol in the game.

This is, assuming that there's some differentiation in the different calibers in the game.
Alright I'll get rid of it then, the safety is pretty much useless anyways. As for the calibers, they all behaved the same before but I've changed them to use their real velocities and weight for impact force and penetration, I'm just tweaking the values now.

ArgenGuy

Post by ArgenGuy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:01 am

castiglione wrote:I'd say ditch the safety.

Those 9mm import models are copies made by Norinco, they have the thumb safety as a factory feature, but there are some original com-bloc TT33 in 7.62mm Tokarev with an added thumb safety, others do not, they stay original. Interestingly, an TT33 in its original caliber, it can be converted to 9mm Parabellum rather easily, you just need to swap the barrel, even the original magazines will accept the 9x19mm rounds with no modifications. I've seen that for the czech CZ-52, which is also 7.62mm Tokarev (and also one of the few single action pistols that has a decocker).
Josh707 wrote:Alright I'll get rid of it then, the safety is pretty much useless anyways. As for the calibers, they all behaved the same before but I've changed them to use their real velocities and weight for impact force and penetration, I'm just tweaking the values now.
While the safety doesn't have a practical in-game use, it does have a cosmetic value that adds for the realism, we can also say that it adds an educative value to the game, but yeah, ditch the thumb safety on the TT33 simply because the gun model doesn't actually have it.
Last edited by ArgenGuy on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

saladofstones

Post by saladofstones » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:04 am

Back to the idea of a decoy drone, Image

I think this would be a nice simple look for it, its not immediately visible and it has a nice non-aggressive look.

I noticed that the gun drones have a really hard time killing me, they want to close in like a normal drone but the recoil of their weapon paired with their desire to get as close as possible causes them to usually shoot the ground at my feet.

If its possible, perhaps having the AI wanting to gain altitude and back off? for the recoil, the fire rate could be lowered and it could essentially be a sniper.

castiglione

Post by castiglione » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:23 am

Errr...gun drones?

Are there plans to put them in?