Steam Engine

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Steam Engine

Post by MacWiggy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:51 pm

I've heard rumors about a special downloading system for LU2, similar to the Steam downloading program, and Aspyr's "Gamerhood". Personally, I think the game should be on a CD or DVD, so people will take it more seriously. What do youse guys (Manhattan-Speek) think?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:08 pm

As always, there is a compromise so that we can get the best of both worlds. Lugaru 2 is going to have a box (more like a DVD case, these days) so that it can be sold on Amazon and (hopefully) the Apple Store, among other possible places.

For most people though, Wolfire.Net will be the best way to get it, and as it is directly distributed by us, we won't have to give away 60% of our profits to Apple or Amazon, on top of manufacturing/shipping fees.
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:10 pm

I think quality is the only thing that will ever make anyone take any game seriously.

Digital download is the way of the future.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:10 pm

Yeah, I don't know what the heck is taking so long, there should have been an iTunes games by now. I think Icculus had written this somewhere on his blog, also stating that, having a picture of a multimillionaire David Rosen shown would quickly inspire all the other developers to host it there online as well. Which would be really cool since iTunes is as easy as heck to use (got them cool little gift card things you can buy at the store, would've made buying Lugaru a whole lot easier if could do that).

Anyways hey, as long as Lugaru 2 can be distributed directly by David and Jeff... I mean not to be a goober but, that means I could be getting authentic fingerprints on my game just like how I got an authentic E-Mail on my computer.
Oh wait sick! You could get this crazy ass deal where the first 300 or so buyers get a signature. See, now that would be sick, that would be so freaken sick.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:22 am

"I think quality is the only thing that will ever make anyone take any game seriously. Digital download is the way of the future."

Lemme put it this way, would you rather be handed a credit card, or a suitcase full of 100 dollar bills? The credit card probably has more money, but it's just so satisfying to have a suitcase full of cash that you can hold in your hand. Get my drift?

Besides, what about the people with dialup internet connections who don't wanna download a 800 megabyte file?

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:26 am

They'll have to put up with the higher price of the boxed version which, in my opinion at least, who's extra cost is still substantially cheaper than upgrading to Cable/DSL.

-or-

They could buy it from a friends computer which has high-speed internet and have him/her download and burn it to a cd or dvd.

I'd like to say something about your quote about the quality of games and taking them seriously but I'd rather not start a flame war.

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:06 am

I agree that some folks like the physical copy, so it pleases me that the guys have plans to offer it. Personally, I like a digital setup where the company keeps track that I bought something. Then I don't have to worry about my disks gettong lost or damaged.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. From an economic standpoint, selling different versions is the way to go to maximize profit, so it would be cool to offer some type of premium version. Maybe a DVD version that has ultra high rez textures and some pack-in... or maybe a 'making of' feature that has all of the sweet concept art I've done :).

The problem with different version is that it is hard to do without simply shafting the folks who want to buy the cheaper one.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:15 pm

I see what you're saying. A kind of "Collectors Edition" with all the bells and whistles. Maybe like-

Hey wait a minute! you guys don't want a DVD version because of the price! You just want one that will run on your 1999 iMac G3! Enough of this foolishness! the television wasn't invented by candlelight! You have to think into the future! Think Different! ™

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:55 pm

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:02 pm

I agree with Ninjas about having an account online to just download the game... Feels much safer to me, cause losing a cd is NOT fun.

But also having a CD / DVD copy would be nice...
Steam keeps most of the files in a giant image, I think.... Would it be possible to burn this? And would it be possible to keep a copy of your stat/savefiles online? In case you have to move to another computer or have to reinstall the os, or just like having backups?

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:20 pm

Jeff "........"

You got schooled.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:02 pm

MacWiggy wrote:Jeff "........"

You got schooled.
He who controls the IP ban controls the schooling, y'know?

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:05 pm

Okay, okay, I'll stop the flamewarring. Just cool your litte flamejets. We're all flamefriends here, okay flamehombre? [/i]

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:56 am

Even your post about ending your flamebaits is a flamebait.

pyros soul

Post by pyros soul » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:46 am

MacWiggy wrote:Okay, okay, I'll stop the flamewarring. Just cool your litte flamejets. We're all flamefriends here, okay flamehombre? [/i]

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah .......