Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:44 pm

:(! Hey, man, that hurt! I mean, I was just kidding around, but you took it too far! I'll never recover from this! I'm serious! I think I'll go curl up and die!

But seriously, we need to get back on topic.

"Also, to put that idea to use in things like team deathmatches, there could be some type of medic's tent, so if you saw a downed ally around the place who wasn't killed off completely, you could bring them to the medic's tent by giving them a piggyback there. Once there, they'd obviously get patched up, ready for some more fighting, but obviously not 100%. There'd have to be some distinguishable way of knowing whether or not an ally was dead, though. I guess I should be putting this in the random ideas thread."

That was something I posted in the "Mounts" thread, and I figured I'd throw it in here too. Anyway, Zantalos had just made some comment about all he'd really want to do is pick someone up and run, or something, mostly in jest. I just got the idea from that.

Someone suggested a way for quickly distinguishing whether a player is dead in multiplayer would be for the player's ghost to be floating above them like the ghost rabbit in the tutorial of Lugaru.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:21 pm

I think it should be like this, when the character is dead he's not moving. If he's in critical condition (meaning he's bleeding everywhere and not quite dead yet. Err, the bleeding would have to be minutes until you die and not 2 seconds though) he should be wiggling over the ground or perhaps crawling around, useless in combat though, and if they're knocked out, well you probably wouldn't have to worry about them (since it takes a while for them to regain consciousness and theres really nothing for you to need to react right away; It's not life or death if they're knocked out) so you could keep it like Lugaru 1 and make them start breathing really heavy on the ground.

But yeah, totally, rescuing your allies in battle, oh hell yes.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:46 pm

The previous idea that there could be physics and scripting together could be used in this too, like if the rabbit in pain had hurt legs he could try moving around with his hands, but if he got onto the side of a hill he would slide down (an interesting game mode in itself - Rip-Roaring Ruined Rabbit Racers!), and if he tried to climb up said hill he would quickly get exhausted if the hill were steep enough. If he took too long though his stamina would drain on its own and he would become unconscious, then slowly die if a teammate didn't "revive" him.

Of course, if it were a 1v1 match, there could be some awesome take-downs for the disabled foe, but in team matches these should not be permitted because a one hit kill is always cheap to the person it's being inflicted on, even if it is totally wicked freakin' sweet to the person doing it (AWP anyone?).

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:52 pm

What? You don't die if you run out of stamina. You pass out for hours on end!
That is, if you didn't get stabbed in the leg. If that happened, well first you'd pass out and then you'd bleed to death.

Edit: why are there so many edits? Because a certain someone decided he should edit his post longer, but then decided to cut them into two seperate posts. Long story short, said person screwed up a bunch and now had to try and remember what he first posted, which he deleted.
Last edited by Zantalos on Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:57 pm

Like, I meant the player could attack specific body parts instead of just "attack rabbit x!". Suppose you want to disable someone, but not kill them... throw a knife at their shins, so they can't walk but they can crawl around. Then you can move in for the kill, so it's nice and quick and not as violent as punching and kicking them until they stop moving.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:14 pm

Oh and on a 1 vs. 1 fight and you get juked out and recieve a broken ankle. You should just get executed right there. It would be messed up to have you keep trying to defend your cripple self while the other guy is trying to beat you to a senseless pulp. I mean, if you're lying on the ground with a busted leg, give up, or be prepared to take a hard one in the face and die. Cause, what else are you going to do, bite his leg off?

Edit: shin throws, now I know that shin throws and killing cripples is alot more violent than beating the crap out of someone. I mean, ow, you stabbed him in the shin...

Then again, how are you going to execute that? Do you want knives to be manually thrown instead of automatic? I guess that's alright, make the throwable weapons optionally aimed or just plain thrown (and I mean the cool thrown too, like, doing a sideways flip off a wall and scoring someone in the chest, "ninja bonus"). I'd like to see someone catch a knife in the forehead, they do it all the time in the movies.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:23 am

xD "I'm INVICIBLE! -battle charge that results in the loss of a leg-" "What're you going to do, bleed on me?"

klems

Post by klems » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:20 am

Hi. Sorry for my english, but I am french.

- Maybe an instant action mode ? Like Mount and Blade and this random map making system. Choice your weapons, the number of ennemies, the type of map, and fight !

- Everything objects are weapons : table leg, wood stuffs...
Exactly like Condemned. Of course, the combat system don't change. Just the model, and maybe the sound/damage ?

- Another ennemies. And why not zombie or zombie-like ? Very bad warrior, but you fight against 5, 10 ennemies.

- Friend A.I.

- Ability to throw physics objects.

champrjk

eh

Post by champrjk » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:47 am

I also think that if you get a bow and arrows it would be cool to have two types of arrows. Like normal arrows and maybe poision arrows.

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:00 pm

Okay, we MIGHT not get bows and arrows, but if there's any ranged weapon in the game besides knives etc. then it should be the sling.

Why/ because with a sling you can't really aim down the arrow/ironsight/scope so the third perso view could kinda just zoom in over the bunny's shoulder and you guess where the rock would go. instead of piercing, this would knock the bunny down and cause bludgeon damage.

Also, I wonder what kind of armor we're going to have? Are we just going to buy something that says "leather armor" and we instantly have our bunny covered in leather... or are we going to have to buy eich peice individually? I'd love to see helmets in this game.

Shields... well, those would be nice against foes with bows and arrows if it's big enough. Just crouch and push the button. If it's a buckler it would be useful against foes with other weapons, and could also be used as a weapon as well >:D.

But, well, anyways... what would be cool is if each weapon had about 2 or 3 models each... because seeing the same weapon over and over is boring, if you see three people coming at you with different weapons that do the same sort of thing it's less repetative I guess? I saw the blog update, so I guess it won't happen since each weapon will probably do something different.

As for bows... what I was thinkign was have a longbow and a shortbow. Longbows are given to town guards etc. that defend a place. It has a quiver you wear on your back or leg that has a very limited amount of arrows (6 maximum).

A shortbow would be cool if it incorporated something that our modern bows have. The quiver is right on the bow itself. (I know because I have one) http://www.browning-archery.com/ This has some info on what I'm talking about.

Picture of a modern 8-arrow quiver

Of course it wouldn't have the padded stuff, but instead another clamp thing at the end. It would probably only be able to hold 4 arrows in it though.

I just find those quivers pretty neat solution to not being able to have a quiver with a backpack on :D

champrjk

Post by champrjk » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:07 pm

I agree that if there is a ranged it should be a sling like i menioned in another thread. If you got them in the head it could be an insta kill or it could just gash them or stun them.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:04 pm

LeDoOd wrote:(an interesting game mode in itself - Rip-Roaring Ruined Rabbit Racers!)
I like your use of alliteration. :)

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:16 pm

I like his use of humor. I have no sense of humor, and it's good to see people these days have some :D

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:44 am

I think a sling would be cool because it does stinging blunt damage. So instead of shooting someone in the head with a arrow or thowing knife (where they would then bury into the rabbit's face), a rock from a sling would throw the person off his feet, and could make his head throbby and vision black. Plus, you can move around while you're winding up a sling, so you could like charge at an enemy with a sling in hand, total David Vs. Goliath style.

That also means enemies will have a chance to attack you since it takes time to draw up a stone from your bag, sling it, and then proceed to build up tons of speed by twirling it around your head. Sounds like a balanced weapon, you just have to hope your enemy isn't wearing a helmet or sturdy armor. If he's wearing just the slightest bit of hard armor, the sling would become completely useless to you.

Plus, plus, plus, the sling doesn't even need an aiming system since, like Sage said, slings don't use anything like iron sights and stuff. I think most aiming from slings is all in the body's reflexes (that you won't have to worry about). It could just be automatic like the knife, which is tight since you become alot more mobile (which is way cooler than two guys standing still, shooting arrows at each other).

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:59 am

I think the aiming system in Mount And Blade is perfect. Sufficiently hard to hit a target, rewarding when you get a good shot. I think they got it just right. If there was a ranged weapon you had to aim in Lugaru 2, I would prefer that aiming system to any other.