Mac Pro

Anything else
lpod100

Mac Pro

Post by lpod100 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:21 am

The new mac is out. Intel G5 essentially, and the base-model is pretty cheap. just thought you guys might want to know... :)

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:02 am

I am actually posting this from a session at WWDC right now :)

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:26 am

HOLY CRAP

Dual Dual-core Processors at 3GHz? 2TB of storage?! 16 GB OF RAM!?!

Where do I sign??

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:33 am

leDoOd wrote:HOLY CRAP

Where do I sign??
You sign in blood, and you can leave your life savings at the door.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:25 pm

The new Mac Pro looks really good; it is actually competitive with, or even slightly better than, equivalent retail PCs in terms of price/performance ratio.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:59 pm

zip wrote:

Where do I sign??
All I have is my firstborn son... will that do?

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:22 pm

16 GBs... I can't wait to play Doom 3, Quake 4, and Stubbs the Zombie.

AT THE SAME TIME!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:39 pm

I upgraded to Leopard. :)

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:54 pm

Has it even come out yet? (Leopard, not the Mac Pro)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:07 pm

leDoOd wrote:
zip wrote:

Where do I sign??
Aren't you fourteen or something, thereabouts?

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:13 pm

Jeff wrote:I upgraded to Leopard. :)
MacWiggy wrote:Has it even come out yet? (Leopard, not the Mac Pro)
David said he was at the WWDC, so my guess (note guess) is that Jeff was there as well, and I seem to remember during the Stevenote it was mentioned that people there were walking away with copies of Leopard. Man, makes me wish I was there ...

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:13 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
leDoOd wrote:
zip wrote: You sign in blood, and you can leave your life savings at the door.
Aren't you fourteen or something, thereabouts?
15, and it was a joke, gramps. :)

James M

Post by James M » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:14 am

Woah, the Mac Pro is a damn fine machine! I guess round about now is a good time to get a job so I can afford something like this!

And Jeff, hows Leopard?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:02 am

James M wrote:And Jeff, hows Leopard?
Well... I am mixed. When I saw the templates in Mail, I wanted to shoot myself. I thought crappy HTML emails were on the decline, but now they are going to make a huge comeback. I just know that my email is going to be inundated with crazy templates encasing gems like "how to get lugaru plz." I know a lot of people are going to love this feature, though.

Dashclip is actually quite cool. I thought it would be lame and that RSS was supposed to obsolete stuff like this, but I've found a few uses for it already. I made a clip of NextBus, for instance, so I can see when buses are coming. I also have a Dashclip of new posts on the forums, so I can see when people post stuff without even having to open a browser. Stuff like that. So if you see my name on the "who's browsing the forum" like every two minutes, you can thank Dashclip.

The changes to the developer tools are incredible. Garbage collecting, refactoring, rewinding, saving input, more profiling abilities, etc. I won't bore you guys with that though.

The To Do list looks great. I can see myself using that a lot.

Spaces is incredible. Virtual Desktops are my favorite thing in Linux window managers and Apple's implementation is awesome, graphically. I wish they added some more features like the ability to switch desktops by tapping the side of your laptop like those third party dudes did and maybe the ability to switch by moving your mouse to the side of the screen. That is how I have it set up in Linux.

Timemachine is great. It's one of those things that you will only use once or twice, but when you do, you will want to send Steve Jobs flowers. I vividly remember a few times when I overwrote a CS project, saved over an essay, or did other really stupid things when I would have sold my soul for this functionality.

Spotlight... Meh. It's a little better. It can search your menu items and a few other things like that. You can also search networked Macs if you set it up. I'm not too excited about these things.

iChat... Display sharing looks pretty awesome. I will stick to Adium though. (Adium 1.0 is coming out soon and it is sweet.)

Resolution independent UI. That will be pretty cool.

That's all I can think of now.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:14 am

I've got to say one thing about the keynote though... Apple and Mac zealots are going to be in a world of hurt when Vista ships. Apple was all "nyah, nyah, look at how Vista is copying us!" at the keynote and everyone was laughing. Well guess what - yeah, they copied OS X feature for feature and are going to ship an OS that has everything Leopard has plus more.

Vista already has the equivalent of Spotlight, Expose, Dashboard, Timemachine, Spaces, Aqua, etc. In fact, at this point, what feature does OS X have that Vista doesn't? It used to be funny "Microsoft just blatantly ripped off Dashboard and added it to Vista!" but now, that has happened like 20 times and Microsoft is still adding stuff like their speech recognition engine: http://www.istartedsomething.com/200608 ... creencast/

If I were Apple, I would have made fun of how archaic Windows XP is, not advertise that fact that Vista has everything OS X has and more. They literally started the keynote off with screenshots of Vista and how it had a bunch of Apple technology. Of course the tone was mocking, but I'm sure a lot of people were like "when did Vista get OS X's features?"