Weapon Additions - Updated Feb. 15th 2014 (Discontinued)

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Volpe77

Re: Weapon Additions - Updated Feb. 15th

Post by Volpe77 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:09 pm

Hey it's me again =D! I just wanted to tell you Josh that the new update is fantastic and i'm loving the new Mauser (i'm REALLY looking forward to that stripper clip though :wink: ) and i also like the USP (though i was wandering if you could make the USP much more like the one in MGS1, if you know the one, i would so love that =O!). Plus, i really like the new Thompson texture and the new Shooting Range, you did a GREAT job as always =D!! Anyway i wanted to make some suggestions for the next updates, if you don't mind =). Since there are "a lot" of guns in the game, i was wandering if it would be possible to make some kind of menu where you can check and uncheck the weapons you want to spawn with. For example, if i don't want the Tokaev or the USP because the're the same exact thing as the M1911, i can just uncheck them in a separate menu and the RNG will never make me spawn with a USP or a Tokaev. I hope you understood what i mean, i'm italien and my english isn't exactly really good as you probably noticed hahahahaha xD. Also, i would love to be able to operate and shoot a Colt Single Action Army, an M1 Garand or a 1860 Henry Rifle (or a 1866 Winchester Levergun). Here are some videos about these guns:
-Colt SAA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cu0G8fvUgc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_YFIljic6o
-1860 Henry/1866 Winchester: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbfXjqDzago / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkqOX_fxqXk
-M1 Garand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICQHGeMd3bc
I'd love to play with these guns because (apart from the Winchester which would operate identical to the shotgun IMO) they all have interesting mechanics (The SAA has interesting reloading mechanics and so does the Henry, on the other hand the M1 Garand is just an interesting rifle altogether). I'm apologize from the bottom of my heart for asking for so many things from you, but you seem to be the only one willing (and capable) of making our dreams come true =/. Obviously you can just say "No, i'm not going to do any of these things" and i will totally understand, you have already done so much for the Receiver community and i will be forever thankful for your efforts and commitment =D! Anyway, thank you again for this wonderful update and bye bye, have a great day =)!!

UNHchabo

Post by UNHchabo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:40 am

Volpe77 wrote:i also like the USP (though i was wandering if you could make the USP much more like the one in MGS1, if you know the one, i would so love that =O!).
In MGS1, Snake had a Mk23. It's related to the USP, but it's a different pistol.

Volpe77

Post by Volpe77 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:58 am

UNHchabo wrote:
Volpe77 wrote:i also like the USP (though i was wandering if you could make the USP much more like the one in MGS1, if you know the one, i would so love that =O!).
In MGS1, Snake had a Mk23. It's related to the USP, but it's a different pistol.
I thought the MK23 was only in MGS2 =/! Oh well. My bad, i'm an idiot, nevermind xD. Thanks for pointing that out =)

APsychonaut

Post by APsychonaut » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:01 am

A couple things I've noticed
1) It is hard as HELL to penetrate the armour now. I'm getting my arse kicked by these bots (maybe it's /slightly/ too high?) I'd recommend maybe lowering the armour (or agility) values on the flying drones, especially for a couple of reasons; they're a little too hard to kill in the mad scrambles now, and something with rotors that small would be trying to scrimp and save on every bit of weight it could, to maintain its agility.
Turrets are still fine though, and if anything I'd like them buffed I think. Though it's still possible to bounce shots, I feel something static like that should be a serious road block, encouraging alternate paths. I also feel it'll lead to players considering their chosen path more carefully, too.
2) The ability to toggle the AI being live on the range could be handy - I'm not sure where it's okay to hit any more, nor what'll bounce what calibres.

Other than that, I'm totally in love with this update. The new Thompson is a riot, and the USP falls into a comfortable easy second!

Great work, like always Josh :D

UNHchabo

Post by UNHchabo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:15 am

APsychonaut wrote:A couple things I've noticed
1) It is hard as HELL to penetrate the armour now. I'm getting my arse kicked by these bots (maybe it's /slightly/ too high?) I'd recommend maybe lowering the armour (or agility) values on the flying drones, especially for a couple of reasons; they're a little too hard to kill in the mad scrambles now, and something with rotors that small would be trying to scrimp and save on every bit of weight it could, to maintain its agility.
Turrets are still fine though, and if anything I'd like them buffed I think. Though it's still possible to bounce shots, I feel something static like that should be a serious road block, encouraging alternate paths. I also feel it'll lead to players considering their chosen path more carefully, too.
Yeah, the drones seem a bit too tough now; I think the turrets are fine overall though.

I'm curious why you implemented the penetration as a function of angle though; it seems to me like the body of the turrets would be hollow metal, and the bullet would either penetrate or not penetrate, rather than penetrate 2 inches, or 4 inches, or 6 inches depending on the angle of incidence.

The sound on the USP firing sounds a little too "sci-fi" to me, like it's from Sin or Aliens, so I think it sounds out-of-place given the rest of the game's gunfire sounds.

One thing I thought of: I think the USP would be a really good candidate for night-sights. I love the way you can see the glow of the pistol's sights in Half-Life 2 in dark areas, and they would be incredibly useful for some areas of this game. Plus that would be a feature to help the USP stand out from the 1911 and Glock.

I'd also find it useful to have witness holes on the mags, wherever it would be realistic to do so.

I want to make it clear that I love your work, and I'm just trying to show that by suggesting improvements. Thanks for continuing to provide these updates!

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:56 am

Volpe77 wrote:-snip-
Glad to hear you still like it :P Someone suggested that check box idea for the random selection and I tried to make it a while ago but I couldn't figure it out, I feel my programming skills have gotten a lot better since then so I'm willing to try it again though.
Those weapons would be fun to operate, but the problem with adding any guns is the lack of models, I'm not a very good modeller (nor do I plan to be). However, RO2 has a model of the Nagant M1895 which I believe operates the same/similar to the Colt SAA, but if you watch hickok's video the reloading process is a little slow and complicated so I'm not sure if I'll try to add it. The Garand was discussed a while back too and RO2 also has a model, so there's a possibility for that. Same with a lever-action rifle, but as with others I don't have any models that are good enough to use, it'd be the simplest of those 3 to add though. Anyways, have a nice day as well!
APsychonaut wrote:A couple things I've noticed
UNHchabo wrote:Yeah, the drones seem a bit too tough now; I think the turrets are fine overall though.
Yeah, to be honest I was rushing at the end so I didn't take the time to play for more than 10 minutes to test it out, I still killed drones fairly easily but I do agree when they're flying directly towards you it's near impossible to hit the internal parts, it's only the lucky shot that kills them.
UNHchabo wrote:I'm curious why you implemented the penetration as a function of angle though; it seems to me like the body of the turrets would be hollow metal, and the bullet would either penetrate or not penetrate, rather than penetrate 2 inches, or 4 inches, or 6 inches depending on the angle of incidence.
I was thinking more along the lines of thick armor and only the circuitry and battery/motor parts would be milled out to maximize it's protection, though I don't know much about armor used for military purposes and stuff. I figured if a bullet doesn't ricochet on an angle it would have more material in it's way causing it to stop quicker, but again I don't know much about bullets and armor penetration.

The drones are certainly too strong now, I didn't think about the weight with thick armor like that, they should probably be mostly hollow. I'll take the time to properly set up the penetration for each robot, but first I'll need to take a vote on the turrets armor - mostly armor with only space for internal parts milled out, or mostly hollow like the drone's? Either way is cool with me, though if it should be mostly hollow the penetration depth will be replaced with deep enough to penetrate or not, though I think the angle should still affect how much material it has to punch through. I'm open to any other suggestions too.
APsychonaut wrote:The ability to toggle the AI being live on the range could be handy - I'm not sure where it's okay to hit any more, nor what'll bounce what calibres.

I agree with that, like I said above the last part of this update was rushed so I just replaced the live drones with ones on poles :P I'm rather crappy at designing levels so I have no clue what to do with all the space on the range, but it would be cool to have a machine to 'spit' robots out for you to fight, I've had that idea for a bit now. Either that or some sort of dummy drone that'll fly around but can't taze you, I dunno though.
UNHchabo wrote:The sound on the USP firing sounds a little too "sci-fi" to me, like it's from Sin or Aliens, so I think it sounds out-of-place given the rest of the game's gunfire sounds.
Hmm, I don't have too many quality gunshot audio clips but I'll go through them all and try to find a better one, I don't know how to describe it but yeah it doesn't fit in with the other sounds. Most of mine have a long echo afterwards from being outdoors so I can't use a lot of them, but I'll see what I can do.
UNHchabo wrote:One thing I thought of: I think the USP would be a really good candidate for night-sights. I love the way you can see the glow of the pistol's sights in Half-Life 2 in dark areas, and they would be incredibly useful for some areas of this game. Plus that would be a feature to help the USP stand out from the 1911 and Glock.

I'd also find it useful to have witness holes on the mags, wherever it would be realistic to do so.
I agree with both, the night sights I think would be simple to do, I have trouble uv mapping entire guns but just the sights on the slide is simple. The magazine holes are another story, it's really hard (for me at least) to make holes that are lined up properly and all the same size when the magazine is already modeled, I think part of it has to do with bad topology with some of the models, like it isn't one complete face for the back of it but a bunch of randomly skewed triangles. I also don't like to sit in blender for an hour+ just to fail at making a few holes and then give up :P

Anyways thanks for the encouragement everyone! Keep the suggestions coming (though weapon suggestions can't really be considered unless there's a model to go with it) and let me know your ideas with the turrets armor (mostly hollow/mostly armor), I'm not sure what to do with that.

Xamp

Post by Xamp » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:34 pm

I've got a few ideas for improvements.

First off, flashlight/magazine shadows: It is wierd to see the floating shadow of a flashlight where there is supposed to be a body. I noticed the same for the Thompson mag, so maybe take the shadow for these items out?

Next, magazines: I noticed sometimes the magazines for pistoles don't slide all the way in. Not a game breaker, but it looks odd. I've never seen it happen in vanilla Receiver, but i already saw it happen in update 8. I'm guessing it's a script going rough, maybe?

And last one is a point the others here already listed: Too thick armor. The drones are hard as hell to take out when they are charging at you, and they are really agile, taking a quick and sharp turn to the side is no problem for them which often results in next to impossible to escape situations. I'd suggest to make the armor of the drones weaker and maybe, if it won't underpower them, have them have a harder time taking sharp turnes.

But thats just my take on what could be improved, other then that, magnificent work! :D

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:44 pm

Xamp wrote:I've got a few ideas for improvements.

First off, flashlight/magazine shadows: It is wierd to see the floating shadow of a flashlight where there is supposed to be a body. I noticed the same for the Thompson mag, so maybe take the shadow for these items out?

Next, magazines: I noticed sometimes the magazines for pistoles don't slide all the way in. Not a game breaker, but it looks odd. I've never seen it happen in vanilla Receiver, but i already saw it happen in update 8. I'm guessing it's a script going rough, maybe?
Hmm, shadows aren't supposed to be casted by those, I play on the lowest settings so I missed that. I'll be sure to fix that though. I've never had the problem with the magazines not going in fully, I haven't touched any of that code so I'm not sure what's going on there :\
And last one is a point the others here already listed: Too thick armor. The drones are hard as hell to take out when they are charging at you, and they are really agile, taking a quick and sharp turn to the side is no problem for them which often results in next to impossible to escape situations. I'd suggest to make the armor of the drones weaker and maybe, if it won't underpower them, have them have a harder time taking sharp turnes.
Yeah, others have said that too and I plan on changing it, it'll be more reasonable when I update it next

Alkosor

Re: Weapon Additions - Updated Nov. 16th

Post by Alkosor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:53 pm

Josh707 wrote:Hahaha sorry I've been real lazy lately but it's 99.9% ready, every time I think it's ready I find/remember something that needs to be changed. I'll have to send you a build to test it before I post the mac version, so you'll be getting it early, but the actual post will be tomorrow for sure. Do you have an email or something I can contact you with? I'm not authorized to send PMs on here.
Email me at [email protected], I'd love to test out the mac release. I'll let you know how it is. I appreciate you spending time on it.

EDIT: I'm sorry for my inactivity as of late, procrastination + term paper = a very stressful night before it's due.

z33ky

Post by z33ky » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Will you also create and upload a Linux build? That would be great :smile:

schizoidvoid

Post by schizoidvoid » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:03 am

Hey Josh, your mod is really neat! Keep up the good work.

I was wondering what you thought about adding some in-game sliders to customize the difficulties of the drones and turrets. Perhaps flight speed for the drones and rotation speed for the turrets?
Last edited by schizoidvoid on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SU_Tempest

Post by SU_Tempest » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi Josh, first of all, thank you for making this mod, I have been closely watching this thread and your updates since a few months, but held off on joining here for some reason until now. I am delighted to see fellow firearm enthusiasts wanting to get more out of Receiver; it has always been my thought that this game should be a template for future FPSes to come.

If you need sounds, contact me on Skype at su-tempest ; I can provide you with good SFX and probably with some firearm knowledge at demand. :p

APsychonaut

Post by APsychonaut » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:39 pm

schizoidvoid wrote:rotation speed for the turrets?
i'm imagining turretcopters.
and i'm loving it.

Xamp

Post by Xamp » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 pm

APsychonaut wrote:
schizoidvoid wrote:rotation speed for the turrets?
i'm imagining turretcopters.
and i'm loving it.
How about insane reaction speed and incredibly large FOV in combination with that? The game would become unplayable but oh my god, that would be hilarious to see.

APsychonaut

Post by APsychonaut » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:52 pm

and a giant roller-turret following you alongside the buildings. rooftops will never be safe again.