randomness

Anything else
Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: randomness

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:
Grayswandir wrote:There's a Japanese Indie game sale on Steam until the 18th of this month and the Humble Weekly Bundle is going on for anther 13-14 hours with the same theme.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/japa ... iefestival

Of the games I've tried so far, One Way Heroics has been the game I keep going back to. Pretty damn addicting. I've been having some weird controller issues with Croixleur Sigma, which is disappointing cause I really want to like it, but control issues are a peeve of mine.
Ahem.

No.
Your dedication to hate anything even remotely related to anime is endearing. Although, some of those games don't even shove the anime aesthetic (too much) in your face so you don't have to worry about your aggravated knee-jerk reactions to anything foreign ruining your high score.

Satazius
RefleX
Ether Vapor Remaster
Gunhound EX
underthedeep wrote:Those are some good looking titles...

Although, the last game you suggested is tying my hands up a bit at the moment.
Coixleur Sigma? I gave up on it, because I'm too stubborn to have to turn off HiD-Devices in the Device Manager just to play a game with a controller. I'll play it another time when its annoying me less.

Definitely give One Way Heroics a try if you liked Half-Minute Hero. Its like a rogue-like version of it but with randomly generated landscapes and a strange online (optional) component where everyone is in the same world and can run into each other ghosts (no PVP) or leave notes for each other Dark Souls style.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Grayswandir wrote: Although, the last game you suggested is tying my hands up a bit at the moment.
Coixleur Sigma? I gave up on it, because I'm too stubborn to have to turn off HiD-Devices in the Device Manager just to play a game with a controller. I'll play it another time when its annoying me less.
[/quote]

Oh no I mean the last game you recommended that I actually went ahead an purchased.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

You weren't kidding, the game is HUGE.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:34 pm

Grayswandir wrote: Your dedication to hate anything even remotely related to anime is endearing. Although, some of those games don't even shove the anime aesthetic (too much) in your face so you don't have to worry about your aggravated knee-jerk reactions to anything foreign ruining your high score
In my defense...

Uh...

Hmm...

I watch Anime too?

Yeah that one.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:58 pm

underthedeep wrote:Oh no I mean the last game you recommended that I actually went ahead an purchased.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

You weren't kidding, the game is HUGE.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:48 am

Grayswandir wrote:[img]Freeedooooooom[/img]
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that I might very much enjoy that game.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:54 am

Glabbit wrote:
Grayswandir wrote:[img]Freeedooooooom[/img]
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that I might very much enjoy that game.

So am I. However, I'm also convinced I'd enjoy Divinity: Original Sin (plus a friend worked on that so I kinda have to play it so I can tell her she's awesome), AND I just checked my list on unplayed, uninstalled Steam games and noted down Dragon Age: Origins, the first two Witchers, the new Tomb Raider, Stanley Parable, Portal 2 and Skyrim... as the ones that I'm super-interested in and that I should try out ASAP. Plus I'm kinda interested in Fire Emblem, Advance Wars and related games for internship-related reasons. So yeah...

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:25 am

buffr
Attachments
mfw making a stock market simulator
mfw making a stock market simulator
frog.png (10.97 KiB) Viewed 9076 times

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:03 pm

Endoperez wrote:gams n stuff
Played the new Tomb Raider, it's alright. The climbing is pretty fun and the first few areas you playthrough were cool enough. It's neat to see the origin of Croft if you played much of the original games, too. All in all, it was a pretty good romp, although it sometimes felt rather cookie-cutter as far as third person shooters go and the inclusion of some of the side characters killed the lone-survivor, indomitable warrior feel that you develop for Lara early on.

Worth a play though. And I got the cosmetic DLCs, because the different outfits were refreshing after a number of hours slogging in the same outfit. A bit out of place, but awesome.

Never played Skyrim? If you haven't it's pretty much every Bethesda RPG ever, in that you'll be wanting mods to fix the crap that is straight up gross. Also, there are a good handfull of.ini edits that make the game much better. For example, the game is ridiculously quiet compared to every other application on my PC. It turns out that if you make the default master audio level 20.0, instead of default 1.0, the game doesn't automate it to 1 and everything works perfectly fine.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:53 pm

Korban3 wrote:Never played Skyrim? If you haven't it's pretty much every Bethesda RPG ever, in that you'll be wanting mods to fix the crap that is straight up gross. Also, there are a good handfull of.ini edits that make the game much better. For example, the game is ridiculously quiet compared to every other application on my PC. It turns out that if you make the default master audio level 20.0, instead of default 1.0, the game doesn't automate it to 1 and everything works perfectly fine.
Didn't pay too much attention to Tomb Raider stuff since I was afraid of spoilers. I read some articles about or written by Rhianna Pratchett, so I do know some of the concepts and ideas behind the story.

I'm not a fan of open-world games. Haven't tried too many of them, but I found Morrowind rather uninteresting, for example. Some friends who have similar tendencies still liked Skyrim, so I'll probably give it a try at some point.
The need to mod it first was one of the things I didn't like. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist, and trying to find everything in a game made to have too much stuff to take in in a single playthrough generally doesn't work well.

Heh, 'take in in a thing'. I'm taking "take in in a thing" in this situation and running with it. Now that I look at it, "in in" must be quite rare. But if you can say "in in", it means you can have a sentence with "in in" in it. And since you can have "in in in", you can have "in in in" in a sentence. And since you can have "in in in in" in a sentence... :D

Wheee, I broke English! Infinite "in in"s.

.... I'm starting to think I should go to sleep. I mean, the thread IS randomness, but still...

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:39 pm

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:56 pm

Endoperez wrote:Perfectionists should never play Skyrim.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:07 am

Korban3 wrote:
Endoperez wrote:Perfectionists should never play Skyrim.
More like "pyromaniacs shouldn't play with fire".

Explore every dungeon, search every house, do all the guests, do all the sidequests before main quests in case the main quest changes something and the side quests can't be completed, join all the guilds...

It's like that joke about Facebook. "How far are you? I just finished C yesterday and I'm already up to Da Vinci."

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:37 am

I remember getting about 20 hours into Skyrim before I got sick of it. I hadn't even beaten the main quest, so I never finished the game because it wouldn't stop giving me new quests every time I went to a new town.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:54 pm

Yeah, I also don't enjoy the random quests stacking up. I believe there's a mod that makes it so you actually have to stop and talk to the npc to get the quest ticker.
Mods <3

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:54 pm

I have played Skyrim for an incredible amount of time, but I had to adjust my playstyle to have fun with it. At first I was playing it like any RPG. Run around, level up, get quests, get better stuff, try to max everything out...
If you play like this, the game will not be fun, it will be a chore. The first few hours (massive understatement) felt like a job that mainly consists of working your way througha list of menial tasks. This couldn't go on. So I made a change.

I have found that I can have a huge amount of fun with this game if I roleplay it. The character isn't really defined over the course of the game. That's what makes Skyrim so great for roleplaying. Before you create your character, think of a backstory for him. What motivates the guy (or girl)? Play not according to what will give you the highest numbers in your stats, play according to what the character would do if he lived in this world. Mods can help a lot in getting this experience across, too.
So yeah, if you plan to get Skyrim or if you already own Skyrim and couldn't really get into it, try to roleplay it. Don't be afraid to make an interesting character that has different motivations than your own. Challenge yourself to play differently.
My favourite palythrough was a former bandit who turned himself in (I started with a mod that let me start in a bandit hideout, ran to the closest city and punched a guard in the face to have them arrest me) in an attempt to turn his life around. He kept his head above water by hunting deer and taking up smithing. When he had enough money to gear up a bit he made his way to the College of Winterhold to study illusion magic. He wanted to be able to never use violence against people again. I think I managed to get through the main quest with less then 10 kills. I would refuse to take quests that had me kill someone. When I had to get something out of a bandit cave, I would use charm and stealth. If an assassin tried to kill me I ran away. It was tough, but absolutely worth it.

I think when I end up installing it again, I'll play as his "evil brother." Let's see if I can find a mod that let's me team up with Alduin...