Hatred: The Game From God

Anything else
Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Hatred: The Game From God

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:01 pm

Trailer link.

Reading through the development page (And watching the trailer) I want to play this. It's so adamantly against games as art and such. Which is so fucking refreshing in this era.

This YouTube comment on this video expresses my thoughts on this game:
I think this is what's going wrong with the games industry. Everyone is dicking each other, trying to make a game with the best story, and they just forget gameplay. A good story is a shitty substitute for crappy gameplay, like I always say.
Not every game needs to be moving, and have a deep message. Some games should just be mindless fun.
and
Does it need a message or a story? Even if you think it's done in poor taste, It's a video game. One where you're an angry maximum over edge dude in a black coat with a lot of guns who hates the world and wants to kill everyone on his way out. It gives you all the information you need in the trailer.
It releases in Q2 2015.

Development page

Wiki Page

Korban3

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Post by Korban3 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:23 pm

MAXIMUM OVEREDGE

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Not my thing, although the marketing strategy and reactions to it prompted some interesting discussions at school.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:22 pm

This game needs parental controls and mandatory censoring. An 8 year-old should obviously be able to play this game. They also need an easy mode and it should try to get a "K-A" ESRB rating.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:39 pm

Korban3 wrote:
MAXIMUM OVEREDGE
This explains the main character wonderfully, that said it seems we might be able to see some more character from him.
Endoperez wrote:Not my thing, although the marketing strategy and reactions to it prompted some interesting discussions at school.
Eh, I like Project Zomboid too much not to admit this isn't interesting.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:07 am

Speaking of brutal, violent games, has anyone here tried This War Of Mine?

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:11 am

So this is Postal in serious mode, right?

Wow, this will be banned in so many countries. Re-enacting something that describes the thoughts of people who seem like the dudes behind the Columbine Massacre is not very popular with legislators.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:45 am

EPR89 wrote:So this is Postal in serious mode, right?

Wow, this will be banned in so many countries. Re-enacting something that describes the thoughts of people who seem like the dudes behind the Columbine Massacre is not very popular with legislators.

Yup. It can be called a massacre simulator, and it further demonstrates that we're dangerously close to being able to do a massacre simulator in VR, with real-world locations. Oculus Rift, one of those running controller things and some sort of gun-shaped movement sensor.

Will it be wrong to have made a game too violent and realistic at some point? How do we know it?

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:26 pm

There's currently a very obvious disconnect between playing a game and having gameplay transition over into real life, but you're right, with full-sensory immersion from VR, that line starts to blur. I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing ESRB ratings actually be enforced for VR game usage. Maybe something like strict registry-based DRM, ie, have to confirm your age, then have a unique biometric access code (retinal scans? fingerprint scans? already used in some tech) to play M / 18+ rated games.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Endoperez wrote:Speaking of brutal, violent games, has anyone here tried This War Of Mine?
Most pretentious game in existence, but it looks okay.
EPR89 wrote:So this is Postal in serious mode, right?

This is where you're wrong, it's not reenacting any particular event, it's only really set in New York State, not much else about it though that even RESEMBLES an event.

And Postal is still on Steam, and this is just 3D Postal, it's gonna get on Steam.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:37 pm

[quote="Phoenixwarrior141"And Postal is still on Steam, and this is just 3D Postal, it's gonna get on Steam.[/quote]

Postal wasn't taking itself seriously like Hatred seems to, the stylistic differences affect how the game is interpreted.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:04 pm

This War of Mine seems cool, I was pumped to see a war game that wasn't about tacticool soldiers. I'll have to play it sometime.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:16 pm

Endoperez wrote:
Postal wasn't taking itself seriously like Hatred seems to, the stylistic differences affect how the game is interpreted.
That's debatable. It seems like the developers aren't making the game any more serious then you'd expect. It just isn't jokes every few seconds to remind you this isn't serious.

It's purposefully edgy.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:45 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:
Endoperez wrote:
That's debatable. It seems like the developers aren't making the game any more serious then you'd expect. It just isn't jokes every few seconds to remind you this isn't serious.

It's purposefully edgy.
Where are the hints that show you that it isn't meant to be serious?

I have watched the trailer a few times now and I didn't find anything.

The violence in Postal 2 was gruesome, but the whole context made it funny. The scenes in the Hatred trailer made me seriously uneasy. There was nothing funny or self-aware about it.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:59 pm

...just don't try this at home and don't take it too seriously, it's just a game. :)

The question you may ask is: why do they do this? These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment – we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure. Here comes our game, which takes no prisoners and makes no excuses. We say ‘yes, it is a game about killing people’ and the only reason of the antagonist doing that sick stuff is his deep-rooted hatred. Player has to ask himself what can push any human being to mass-murder.
In particular gave off a few cues.